Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon

fmingo36

Original Poster
I ran 3.8 miles outside in 22 degree weather today (Central NJ). It was supposed to be a 5-6 mile day but it was just too darn cold. I could have gone to the gym and run on the treadmill but as Brookie44 stated in the previous post...BORING!

Can anyone that has run it before tell me about the best place for family/friends to watch and where does everyone meet after the race is finished?

HollyBelle

I ran 3.8 miles outside in 22 degree weather today (Central NJ). It was supposed to be a 5-6 mile day but it was just too darn cold. I could have gone to the gym and run on the treadmill but as Brookie44 stated in the previous post...BORING!

Can anyone that has run it before tell me about the best place for family/friends to watch and where does everyone meet after the race is finished?

We haven't run the Princess Half yet... signed up for this year. I'll be the one alongside Goofy in a tutu.

To answer your question, if it's anything like the January event, there is a "Family Reunion Area" in the Epcot parking lot. It's pretty much right at the finish line. After you finish, you'll walk past a medical area and through a tent with bananas/waters and such. Then you walk through the bag check area and just on the other side is the Family Reunion Area. Again, if it's like the January event, there'll be a band or some other kind of entertainment and hopefully characters in this area.

We didn't have any family/spectators with us, but the MK is usually a popular choice for family to cheer you on.

fmingo36

Original Poster
We haven't run the Princess Half yet... signed up for this year. I'll be the one alongside Goofy in a tutu.

To answer your question, if it's anything like the January event, there is a "Family Reunion Area" in the Epcot parking lot. It's pretty much right at the finish line. After you finish, you'll walk past a medical area and through a tent with bananas/waters and such. Then you walk through the bag check area and just on the other side is the Family Reunion Area. Again, if it's like the January event, there'll be a band or some other kind of entertainment and hopefully characters in this area.

We didn't have any family/spectators with us, but the MK is usually a popular choice for family to cheer you on.

Thanks. So the finish line isn't in the actual park? I was wondering if my family needed a ticket to see us at the finish line.

dreamfinder

My mother and I are doing it, all booked and ready...well except for the training. Hope to hear some good info.

I was wondering if anyone knew if the WDW resorts allow a late check out the morning of the race.

Typically you can request a late check out, but thats usually only going to get you til 12 instead of 11. If you keep a good pace, then that should be ok, but if end up walking, you may need to plan on staying an extra night in the hotel, or staying smelly after the race.

Thanks. So the finish line isn't in the actual park? I was wondering if my family needed a ticket to see us at the finish line.

Well, for all running related questions, check out disneyrunning.com. Unofficial, and unfortunately the forums are now pay, but they still have lots of info from current and past races, as well as race reports from people who have run. The map shows that both the Start and Finish are outside Epcot, finish is probably similar in location to the Marathon Weekend finish, start looks like its maybe a mile up the road from the MW starts. You finish outside the parks, I'm assuming so A. family doesn't need tickets and B. runners can't stay in the park after finishing w/o a ticket. Races in the past, like the Tower of Terror 13k finished in the park, but the runners all had tickets for the post race party, and family needed the same tickets to see you finish.
As a PP said, seeing runners at MK on Main Street is pretty cool. For the MW races you don't need a ticket to cheer from there, as they rope off the rest of the park, and clear you out before they open that day. (If you haven't made it through the MK by opening, I believe you are behind the mandated pace so they can close the course then) Otherwise, TTC usually has lots of spectators, and a handful over by the racetrack since you can see them coming and going.
If its like the other Disney races, there isn't much that goes on at the finish unless there is a hard ticketed post race party. For example, the one going on after the Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon. Otherwise it's some fruit and carbs, maybe another merch setup, and a dj, and thats about it. If you are lucky, they may have characters for photos.
The draw of the Disney races is usually being able to run through the parks, as well as seeing characters on the course. (No idea if they have them for this particular race) They do tend to have more spectators than others, partially due to the CM's.

fmingo36

Original Poster
Only 5 weeks away. Has anybody had a family member sign up for the chEAR squad? Just wondering if it's worth paying for.

MKCP 1985

Only 5 weeks away. Has anybody had a family member sign up for the chEAR squad? Just wondering if it's worth paying for.

My wife did the ChEAR squad for the Disney half marathon in 2009. It was all right but that money can be spent elsewhere. If extra money is not an issue or your chear team wants to be fully pampered, sure, why not? You get access to the buffet and can wait out the race in a heated or cooled tent, plus goodies.

fmingo36

Original Poster
My wife did the ChEAR squad for the Disney half marathon in 2009. It was all right but that money can be spent elsewhere. If extra money is not an issue or your chear team wants to be fully pampered, sure, why not? You get access to the buffet and can wait out the race in a heated or cooled tent, plus goodies.

Guess we'll save our $$$ for something else. Mmmmmm, maybe a new shirt from the Expo, lunch at the Kona Cafe, doles whips, pins,....oh, I guess I've already got that money spent. :lol:

fyn

Anyone know what happened to the Triathlon that's usually held in September? The only triathlon I can see now is the Danskin women's triathlon (nothing for men).

rsoxguy

Anyone know what happened to the Triathlon that's usually held in September? The only triathlon I can see now is the Danskin women's triathlon (nothing for men).

All that I've seen for men in the recent past is marathons. I honestly can't remember the last time I read something about a men's triathlon.

fmingo36

Original Poster
According to the Endurance Live chat on Jan. 21,
This was the answer given when asked about a triathlon:

We will be hosting the Danskin Triathlon on May 9th and the Ironman 70.3 on May 16th. We will also host the Trek Women Triathlon in the Fall, but the date is TBD.

fmingo36

Original Poster
Read in Marathon newsletter:
No Happily-Ever-After Party. :(
This is going to be my first race and I was looking forward to celebrating the accomplishment with other racers.
Don't understand how they can offer this for some races but not for others.

fmingo36

Original Poster
Just wanted wish all the other runners out there "GOOD LUCK" this weekend!!!

My bib# 5892, if you see me come over and say "HI"! :wave:

MKCP 1985

I was talking with a Disney race rep at the New Orleans 1/2 marathon last weekend and she said that last year, around 400 men ran the Princess.

You guys have fun. :ROFLOL:

fmingo36

Original Poster
Frank,
I'll look out for you. This is my first race EVER so I didn't have a qualifying time to submit so I'll probably be in last corral.
Did my last pre-race run this morning. I am soooooo excited! :sohappy:

frank2271

This is my wifes first race and my first half. We will probably be in the same corral, see you there.

my wife made shirts for us, they say "royal runners" on the back. we should be easy to spot. If we don't have jackets on, BRRRRRR!!!

Have a ball and good luck.

Debbie

I was talking with a Disney race rep at the New Orleans 1/2 marathon last weekend and she said that last year, around 400 men ran the Princess.

You guys have fun. :ROFLOL:

My sister worked the race last weekend! She drove one of the pace vehicles.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom