Disney Playing catch up with Universal... Potter Disney's biggest mistake in 20 years...

Mike S

Or they could pay some third party company to bring in some cheap, shoddy knockoff... ;)
View attachment 59756
It literally looks like an oversized action figure. How Disney thought that was a high enough quality I have no idea. Then again, Disney doesn't even adhere to their own standard themselves. I guess this is what we have to look forward to for the foreseeable future.

recrat

I would love to know how much it costs the two resorts (or whoever) for their raptor costumes. One is the best I've ever seen. The other looks like a cosplay project.

Yeah. It was there on a trial basis earlier this year. Evidently it didn't go well...

Video says it is from Universal Studios Singapore

EpcoTim

Yeah. It was there on a trial basis earlier this year. Evidently it didn't go well...[/QUOTE]

That's a bit messed up actually. That's more nightmarish scary or just plain circus side-show bad than it is realistic.

Matt_Black

Universal owns all their parks but Singapore I believe still is co-owned by The Genting Group but its 51% Genting 49% Comcast.

What I believe the question is did the parks (Genting and Comcast) go outside, like how Push the Trash Can was operated by someone contracted by Disney, and not in house.

FigmentJedi

As far as a rework of Dinoland goes, I'd like for the "roadside attraction" stuff to still have a place, but instead of a carnival, make it a small "weird dinosaur statue" park around the Chester and Hester gift shop with at least one "Ride a dino" photo-op like this classic from a gift shop outside Dinosaur National Monument.
UTVERdino_brendamondragon.jpg

Do something similar to the Excavator concept as the new E-Ticket and make the place-setting a little more established as being somewhere out west versus the vague "Apparently this is still Florida" stuff.

RSoxNo1

As far as a rework of Dinoland goes, I'd like for the "roadside attraction" stuff to still have a place, but instead of a carnival, make it a small "weird dinosaur statue" park around the Chester and Hester gift shop with at least one "Ride a dino" photo-op like this classic from a gift shop outside Dinosaur National Monument.
UTVERdino_brendamondragon.jpg

Do something similar to the Excavator concept as the new E-Ticket and make the place-setting a little more established as being somewhere out west versus the vague "Apparently this is still Florida" stuff.
I really think the biggest issue with Chester and Hester's is Primeval Whirl. If it was a C/D-ticket dark ride instead of a coaster, the land would be quite a bit better.

Also, in looking at the concept art photos linked to previously, it had me thinking that Diagon Alley will likely be the closest thing theme park fans get to Beastly Kingdom. I mean that mainly because it involves a gigantic dragon as the center piece.

xstech25

Those are extended queues intended only for extreme cases. Kind of like Disney walking you out of F! or Mainstreet in unthemed areas.
The queues for the train are both right next to the stations and are made to be used on a daily basis, I guess you could say they are "themed" because there are 4 faux-brick walls and a ceiling. The one at Grinogotts thats smack in the middle of a backstage area without much theming is also made to be used on a daily basis.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the queue blocks are so massive that i'm not used to it, Disney doesn't really build things like that anymore because so much of the parks attendance is dedicated to Fastpass that they don't need to dedicate huge amounts of real estate for queue blocks anymore.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
As I said in that same post I think Dinoland is terrible which sadly is indicative of many things Disney built in that "era".
After rereading your original post I fail to see where you said "Dino land was terrible". I don't see any mention of Dinoland at all, but I digress. I also agree, it's indicative. ..

xstech25

I went to Diagon Alley today for the first time and thought that while it was good and looked just like the movie, I wouldn't say its any better themed than what Disney has been doing (Cars Land, to me, was more impressive). Someone texted me back when it first opened saying it was the best themed area of any park he had been to, which is why I found it a little disappointing. Actually a lot of the theming at DAK in the Asia and Africa sections I think are better: especially Everest, the Maharajah Jungle Trek, and the Safari. You can definitely tell "the Disney difference": In Diagon Alley I was really put off by the big unthemed queue blocks for the train (both ends) and Gringotts where you wait in a MASSIVE queue house with nothing to look at but unthemed backstage buildings.

The Simpsons area I thought was quick and half a**ed. Its one of those things I would expect from the Dino-Rama/original DCA time period, not 2014 where we have things like Cars Land/Avatar/Hogsmeade. If it were built in 1995 it probably would have been great. The Lard Lad Donut was really good though. Also the Spiderman upgrades were a huge improvement, the digital projections look great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom