Disney Playing catch up with Universal... Potter Disney's biggest mistake in 20 years...

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I do feel Dumbledore's sexuality was alluded to a bit in his relationship with Gridelwold. Also a person can identify as gay or straight without ever being in a relationship. There are a lot of characters who have backgrounds that Rowling created but didn't make the books. Like McGonagol being married. For the most part if Harry didn't know it we didn't know it.

It was the wand play that gave it away.

Cletus

so that Planes movie..... I don't even remember what our bet was but don't worry you don't have to do it;)

How to Train Your Dragon 2 added $14 million for a new worldwide total of $223.9 million. It reaches Germany and Austria next weekend, and will pass the first movie's $277 million total sometime in August.

That doesn't seem like a "dud" to me at all! Planes made $26.5 million worldwide this weekend and opened domestically at almost 25% less than the first one. I don't know what your bet was but I am going to say you won it easily. ;)

Matt_Black

It's a respectable amount, to be sure, but it's got a ways to go to hit Despicable Me 2 numbers. Depending on the budget and marketing, as well as how much it moves merchandise, the studio could point to a total worldwide box office of $400 million as a failure.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
It's a respectable amount, to be sure, but it's got a ways to go to hit Despicable Me 2 numbers. Depending on the budget and marketing, as well as how much it moves merchandise, the studio could point to a total worldwide box office of $400 million as a failure.
Living in Orlando, I know I probably see a lot more merch linked to theme park IPs than the rest of the world. Still, I have to imagine that minion merch is still a strong contender.

BigTxEars

Maleficent is still in theaters around here, I guess the folks who said it might flop were a wee bit wrong :)

Not seen either Planes movie, not really interested too. Dragon 2 was very good but I enjoyed the first more.

Apes was awesome, best movie I have seen in 2014 I think. Looking forward to TMNT movie, that looks like a popcorn watching dream :)

Matt_Black

Living in Orlando, I know I probably see a lot more merch linked to theme park IPs than the rest of the world. Still, I have to imagine that minion merch is still a strong contender.

Yes, but how is the Dragon merch moving, was my point.

Apes was awesome, best movie I have seen in 2014 I think. Looking forward to TMNT movie, that looks like a popcorn watching dream :)

I've heard nothing but good things about Apes. It's looking like that and Cap 2 are the strongest films of the year thus far, as far as money and reception go. TMNT looks good, but Michael Bay's involvement makes me wary.

BigTxEars

Yes, but how is the Dragon merch moving, was my point.

I've heard nothing but good things about Apes. It's looking like that and Cap 2 are the strongest films of the year thus far, as far as money and reception go. TMNT looks good, but Michael Bay's involvement makes me wary.

Yeah he has a way of "over doing" movies IMO but the trailers giver me hope for TMNT, or I guess it's just MNT since they dropped the Teenage part I hear.

Apes was well written, well acted and well made. But the apes (CGI) were stunning IMO. No dudes in apes suits here! I am pretty pro-human but I was rooting for the apes :)

With the advancements in CGI.....good Lord what are movies going to be like in 10 years? :eek:

Ignohippo

so that Planes movie..... I don't even remember what our bet was but don't worry you don't have to do it;)

No way! I absolutely will go through with it. I have to have an avatar that says "twebber55 is god" as my avatar for one week.

Remember though, it's box office PLUS home video through the end of the year (but yeah, looks like you've won - easily).

Disney movies like Planes and Muppets have way underperformed. The only thing I can figure is that they're oversaturating the Disney Channel to the point people are sick of them (they didn't hype Frozen or Maleficent on the channel nearly as much) and people are waiting for home video.

DisneyCane

Disney movies like Planes and Muppets have way underperformed. The only thing I can figure is that they're oversaturating the Disney Channel to the point people are sick of them (they didn't hype Frozen or Maleficent on the channel nearly as much) and people are waiting for home video.

In the case of Planes, I think people are sick of Disney's quick and cheap sequels that in the past were straight to video ripoffs of their popular animated movies. Now they put them out like they are a major release. I know this is Pixar and they have had some success with sequels but remember when Disney had a policy of no sequels to any of their animated movies?

DisneyCane

How is Hollywood Studios above Disneyland? o_O Something doesn't smell right..........

I think the problem is that it is based on reviews from people that visited one and not the other. As an extreme example, if I have never eaten anywhere but McDonalds, I might give it a good review. However, if I had compared it to a fine restaurant I would rate it lower.

I can't imagine that anybody that was taken to Disneyland and Hollywood Studios and asked which is a better park would ever rate Hollywood Studios better unless all they care about is having thrill rides. For total quality of rides and number of rides as well as atmosphere, Hollywood Studios isn't even in the same ballpark as Disneyland.

SJN1279

I loved the first Dragon, but really disliked the 2nd. I think the reason it isn't a bigger hit, is that it lacks the same word of my mouth the first one had.

As for Planes, just no. :)

Matt_Black

I know this is Pixar and they have had some success with sequels but remember when Disney had a policy of no sequels to any of their animated movies?

They still do, as far as Walt Disney Studios Animation films go. They stopped with the third installments of Cinderella and Little Mermaid. Now, aside from the Tangled Ever After short, we've not had any follow-ups to any of the films released since Lasseter took over. (Pooh is kind of a special case.) Sure, there's been talk about sequels to Wreck-It Ralph or Frozen, but nothing official yet.

SJN1279

They still do, as far as Walt Disney Studios Animation films go. They stopped with the third installments of Cinderella and Little Mermaid. Now, aside from the Tangled Ever After short, we've not had any follow-ups to any of the films released since Lasseter took over. (Pooh is kind of a special case.) Sure, there's been talk about sequels to Wreck-It Ralph or Frozen, but nothing official yet.
)
I think a sequel to Frozen can work if they develop a truly awful and obvious villain(something the first one didn't have).

lazyboy97o

The difference is that the type of sequel discussed for Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen would be developed by Walt Disney Animation Studios and not DisneyToon Studios, who did the Planes films and the direct-to-video sequels.

Matt_Black

The difference is that the type of sequel discussed for Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen would be developed by Walt Disney Animation Studios and not DisneyToon Studios, who did the Planes films and the direct-to-video sequels.

Right, and you'll noticed that they haven't touched anything in the WDAS library since Lasseter took over. They could have easily churned out a Robin Hood midquel or Aristocats 2: Marie's Adventure (and I should really stop giving them ideas), but they haven't.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
In the case of Planes, I think people are sick of Disney's quick and cheap sequels that in the past were straight to video ripoffs of their popular animated movies. Now they put them out like they are a major release. I know this is Pixar and they have had some success with sequels but remember when Disney had a policy of no sequels to any of their animated movies?

Planes isn't Pixar, it's by DisneyToon Studio.

DisneyFan 2000

Right, and you'll noticed that they haven't touched anything in the WDAS library since Lasseter took over. They could have easily churned out a Robin Hood midquel or Aristocats 2: Marie's Adventure (and I should really stop giving them ideas), but they haven't.
I'm almost surprised they never got around to Aristocats or Hercules. Glad they didn't though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom