Disney planning a new Western Beltway Property

mhead

:lol: what shall it be: Publix, Albertsons, Winn Dixie, Goodings? :D

Well I am pretty sure it won't be Winn Dixie as they have been going belly up all over the place for a couple of years now and are under more bankruptcy restructuring!

netenyahoo

There is no way Disney would build a cheap $50/night Motel 6 like hotel. I could see a more compact hotel, but it would need to be themed. Something along the lines of Paradise Pier Hotel in CA, but not as tall I would think. The pricing for the new hotel will probably be similar to the value resorts. I don't see the hotel portion being built until all the rest is done though.

teebin

WDW's Downtown Disney could clearly use some polish and refinement. Now that Disneyland's very diffferent style of Downtown Disney has proven to be a smashing success with tourists and locals alike, hopefully this is part of a bigger plan to bring the classier Disneyland concept out to WDW.

I may be way off base as I have never been Disneyland's DTD, but from the pictures I have seen, it seems to more resemble Universal's Citywalk. I find that Citywalk has a lot more style and flair than WDW's DTD. So, is DL's DTD more like Citywalk?

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
New hotel? Why dont they finish Pop first.... the 2nd half has only been sitting there and rotting since 9/11. "Value" based.... Hmmm I wonder what the price point is going to be.

Timeshare? I assume this will be something other than DVC then?

Grocery store? Grrreat! Now you no longer have to buy a cart full of overpriced grocery stuffs at Crossroads...you can do it right on property! :lol: :lookaroun

Casual sit-down dining? Like what... Applebees and TGI Fridays type of places (eww that would be tacky!)? Or Disney resturants? (I hope).

Fast food locations? More McDonalds? ....Lovely.

Without any details on this... so far it just sounds like any Suburb in Metro Chicago. :lol: :brick:

cloudboy

Something just doesn't seem right about this. Disney already had Crossroads - which is more or less exactly what they are talking about here, and that failed. And that was in a more accessible spot! The property is not hurting for hotel rooms anymore, and if they were, they could quickly complete Pop Century. At this point you are not going to gain more people by offering a lower price - most of the people who are staying off property at this point are doing it for a better value.

There is not enough people on property to really support large retail. Particularly if the ides is to get people to forgo cars. I would love to see a nice village-like area, though.

The only real thing I can see from this is that they expect that section of highway to become the next 192, and figure they can get a head start on development.

LilRoo714

Something just doesn't seem right about this. Disney already had Crossroads - which is more or less exactly what they are talking about here, and that failed. And that was in a more accessible spot! The property is not hurting for hotel rooms anymore, and if they were, they could quickly complete Pop Century. At this point you are not going to gain more people by offering a lower price - most of the people who are staying off property at this point are doing it for a better value.

There is not enough people on property to really support large retail. Particularly if the ides is to get people to forgo cars. I would love to see a nice village-like area, though.

The only real thing I can see from this is that they expect that section of highway to become the next 192, and figure they can get a head start on development.

I agree with cloudboy and I'm not sure why Disney would think that their offerings would change this particular market's vacation habits. Unless they substantially lower the price below what the inexpensive Motel 6's and Super 8's are doing, they're not going to draw more people there. All they'll do is move some people from the All-Stars... who I bet will then complain that the buses are bad and it's too far off property. :lol:

Also, we've already seen Disney's new trend of allowing outside restaurants to take up residence on property so I think they've found it more economical to let others come in for a premium price and set up shop on property rather than paying to design a completely new concept and staff it themselves. (ie Rainforest Cafe, etc)

natalia1681

Must....have.....concept pictures!!! Marini you always have the best stuff...get on it! lol

Oooh. Concept pics would be nice, that way we can really get a feel for this.

I agree with previous posters, that before we put in more hotels, let's finish up that monster that is sitting at the Pop Century. It is quite horrible to look at and I imagine there are quite a few people who would prefer to stay there as opposed to the All Stars.

:wave:

:eek: :eek: Ok everyone here is my theory and please be nice when responding. Part of this have already been built in that area. As descrided in the article it says the juncution of the western way beltway. Disney is just going to build up that area more around AK. The value hotels is the all-star complex, the time share is the AKL DVC project, the fast food is the McDonalds. This plan was being talked about when i was down there. The new town are would be right at that insection on the other side of LBV Blvd, next to BB and the winter summerland mini golf course. Unfortutly it would be hard to bulid down on the westernway beltway over the bridge because you have the tree farm and the back of AK on one side and on the other you got Disney Transport Bus Maintenance and the Water treatment plant/waste food plant. They are trying to make more of the AK area because it is so far away from everything already.

Again please be nice when you respond and think about what i have said.:eek:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There`s quite a lot of space for construction between the Bus depot and the Beltway; highlighted in yellow (even more further north):

Attachments

• Western Way detail crop.jpg
    Western Way detail crop.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 169

cullama213

the area that is going to be developed is not orginally a part of the WDW property... it is actually someone elses that they bought... or something like that....

this project is the thing that i have hinted at a couple of times on here... it is coming... my company already has a big project going to construction for it...

imagineer boy

What if its finally the fifth gate? :lookaroun

Sorry, I had to say it.

I am, however, anxious to see what it will actually be. I'm hoping it'll be something more than another DTD. Because another DTD would be... well... unexciting. I'm trying to think of other possibilities, but nothings coming...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
the area that is going to be developed is not orginally a part of the WDW property... it is actually someone elses that they bought... or something like that....
That being the case, it could be in the west part of the area in yellow above; this is unadopted RCID (still part of WDW) - not in the Cities of Bay Lake or LBV.

TTATraveler

While the concept is interesting, I can't picture a second DTD in its current form on the Western Beltway. If they are planning commercial development, what is going to become of DME. People are going to need a car rental to get around, or an investment in more Disney buses will be necessary. I wonder if any traffic studies have been done yet to see what this proposed development's impact will have on Disney's road system and surrounding roads?

wedway71

Well I am pretty sure it won't be Winn Dixie as they have been going belly up all over the place for a couple of years now and are under more bankruptcy restructuring!

I agree. It wont be Winn Dixie and it wont be Albertsons either.It wont be Sweet Bay (kash N karry) either.
Either Goodings or Publix. If I had to bet id say Goodings since they have done so well in Celebration.

EpcotMark

First of all, its "WESTERN WAY" Not Western Beltway.

First of all, its "WESTERN WAY" Not Western Beltway.:hammer:

Second, I think that this whole idea should be scrapped and a more environmental concept should be considered, or at least leave the land in its Natural State. There has been far too much development around the theme parks anyway with plain old boring hotels that look exactly like all the other ones. Why are we excited about that???:eek:
Disney isnt finishing Pop Century anytime soon, why would they go into this project?

The Crossroads was sold off by Disney to someone else. There is no point to this project other than to further reduce the natural resources around Disney and to build more meaningless developments that we are all sick of seeing on 192 anyway. And business around here aint what it used to be, hence Pop Century not being finished.

goofntink

First of all, its "WESTERN WAY" Not Western Beltway.:hammer:

Second, I think that this whole idea should be scrapped and a more environmental concept should be considered, or at least leave the land in its Natural State. There has been far too much development around the theme parks anyway with plain old boring hotels that look exactly like all the other ones. Why are we excited about that???:eek:
Disney isnt finishing Pop Century anytime soon, why would they go into this project?

The Crossroads was sold off by Disney to someone else. There is no point to this project other than to further reduce the natural resources around Disney and to build more meaningless developments that we are all sick of seeing on 192 anyway. And business around here aint what it used to be, hence Pop Century not being finished.

#1 Uhhh, don't be to sure.All Star Music has about 50 family suites now and they sell out QUICK!.If it keeps going the way it is now,the next plan calls for a total of almost 200 rooms at Music, and after those,the next to be done are the rooms on the unfinished Pop Legendary side which will be be gutted and refitted into Family Suites.

#2 The proposed planning for this development is based on it NOT becoming another 192.They will control who can come into it..I.E. No Tacky knockoff Disney t-shirt shops and gift shops

PhotoDave219

For those who care.... (and slightly OT) .....

Western Way has become quite the speed trap for the Orange County Sheriff's Office. I have yet to drive down it and not seen someone pulled over in the vicinity of Coronado Springs.

As for the proposed project.... "eh"..... It means more traffic lights on my way to DAK. But if it's good for the guests.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom