Disney paying $500 million for youtube content creator - Maker Studios

flynnibus

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wow.. another half billion dollars

http://news.yahoo.com/disney-buy-youtube-network-maker-500m-214244790--finance.html

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Disney is buying Maker Studios, an operator of YouTube video channels, for $500 million, as consumers watch more videos online.

The purchase gives Disney ownership of 55,000 channels with 380 million subscribers and 5.5 billion views per month.

Disney CEO Bob Iger said in a statement Monday that short-form online video is growing fast. He says the acquisition puts Disney at the center of a dynamic industry.

MarkTwain

I find it disturbing how often Disney's solutions for problems just involve buying something. I mean it's Youtube, half of the best videos on there are produced by some guy in a basement with a sense of humor, a webcam and a good idea. With the right creative employees they could easily do this themselves. :bored:

I mean come on, this is the company that invented the multi-plane camera, stereophonic sound and the technicolor cartoon... surely they can figure out Youtube.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

I find it disturbing how often Disney's solutions for problems just involve buying something. I mean it's Youtube, half of the best videos on there are produced by some guy in a basement with a sense of humor, a webcam and a good idea. With the right creative employees they could easily do this themselves. :bored:

I mean come on, this is the company that invented the multi-plane camera, stereophonic sound and the technicolor cartoon... surely they can figure out Youtube.

That's Robert Iger for you. His philosophy is: Let someone else do the developing, take the risks, and employ creativity in coming up with a new concept or medium. Then if it's successful, just buy them out. That, to him, is how you build and sustain a company. Swear to God - he's like the Dark Side of the Force. "Quicker, easier...more seductive" to buy rather than create. He just can't stop spending that vast Disney money on anything but the parks. :rolleyes::arghh:

stevehousse

Dumbest thing I've heard of all day! Seriously, a YouTube channel for 500 million! Where I my Star Wars land, my Epcot future world update, any new addition.500 million is a new land! What horse sh*t! When is this leaving the company again?!?

Cesar R M

Like I said in the other thread...

also, reading the news source..
why they claim this company is "behind the success" of pewdewpie?
He started by himself, he got popular, THEN HE GOT SPONSORED.
Annoying when someone eats the "credit" over when something goes popular.
Its like claiming Youtube and Google were responsible of the popularity of gangnamstyle.

I still have no idea why they would want to buy a company that just sponsored famous shows or events from youtube.com

500 million would have a done lot of more things in the parks.

Next Big Thing

This is ridiculous. I want to know how Disney is going to profit out of this. I'm assuming that they have something big planned in order to blow half a billion dollars away.
Very, very, easily.

Advertising is how all money gets made on YouTube. There are over 55,000 content creators signed to Maker Studios and together they account for over 5.5 BILLION views PER MONTH.

Disney is getting out ahead on this. There's a lot of good content to be had on YouTube and it also helps in a big way when it comes to cross advertising. There's a wide age range of people who watch these creators on YT, which is what Disney wants. They want to be able to market to a large amount of people very quickly. Staying relevant to younger generations is also a big thing.

This is not a bad deal at all if you know about Maker and how big content creation on YouTube has become. They've also been starting to do non-YouTube related content and i'm sure that will only increase with Disney now in the mix. The value for this studio will only increase as time goes by.

Next Big Thing

500 million would have a done lot of more things in the parks.
$500M is a lot easier to recoup when you have consistent ad revenue, marketing deals, etc for each of your creators than it is to recoup on a theme park attraction. Not that I don't want Disney to invest more on that side, but from a business perspective, this is a great deal.

jlsHouston

I'm sure there some beneficial shareholder reason?
Very, very, easily.

Advertising is how all money gets made on YouTube. There are over 55,000 content creators signed to Maker Studios and together they account for over 5.5 BILLION views PER MONTH.

Disney is getting out ahead on this. There's a lot of good content to be had on YouTube and it also helps in a big way when it comes to cross advertising. There's a wide age range of people who watch these creators on YT, which is what Disney wants. They want to be able to market to a large amount of people very quickly. Staying relevant to younger generations is also a big thing.

This is not a bad deal at all if you know about Maker and how big content creation on YouTube has become. They've also been starting to do non-YouTube related content and i'm sure that will only increase with Disney now in the mix. The value for this studio will only increase as time goes by.

Maybe. But half a billion is a lot of money. Hasn't Disney been laying off in their digital business groups? I don't see Disney as a big advertiser honestly. Not compared to Budweiser, Ford, Geico, etc. Heck even scrubbing bubbles adverstises more than Disney. Those companies the make and distribute videos on YouTube don't get a big slice of the pie from YouTube either. There is something more to this acquisition I think but I am too ignorant even take a stab at guessing.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

I'm sure there some beneficial shareholder val

Maybe. But half a billion is a lot of money. Hasn't Disney been laying off in their digital business groups? I don't see Disney as a big advertiser honestly. Not compared to Budweiser, Ford, Geico, etc. Heck even scrubbing bubbles adverstises more than Disney. Those companies the make and distribute videos on YouTube don't get a big slice of the pie from YouTube either. There is something more to this acquisition I think but I am too ignorant even take a stab at guessing.
Disney is nothing more than the owner in this deal.

All operations at Maker Studios will continue as they have been under current management. It's basically the same as how the deals for Marvel and Star Wars were. I'm sure there will be some cross promotion here and there, maybe some of the talent from maker doing some commercials, tv, etc to promote something to a certain target demographic, but other than that, things continue as normal.

And they don't get a huge slice, but that's not where they make all of their money. They make their money in advertising from outside companies on videos. PewDiePie could have a video that has 2 million views or so. He'll make a decent amount of money just from that one video alone (Maker takes a % of course), but of course he does videos of himself playing video games.

He just did a video of himself playing Dark Souls II the other day (a game just released), the video got 2.65M views. Among content creators, PewDiePie has the most subscribers on YouTube at 25.2 Million. That's where the real money comes in. The high subscriber rate means he can demand a pretty good amount of money to companies for him to use their games in his videos.

Again, Maker gets a % of all of this money. PewDiePie is just one person too. There are plenty of other big creators under the Maker umbrella with pretty big followings from Epic Rap Battles of History, Mike Thompkins, Snoop Lion, KassemG, LisaNova, all the way to CEO Shay Carl's ShayTards and WhenTheKidsGoToSleep. There's so much diversity among the group and in the end I think you'll see this type of relationship between Hollywood and YT is where things are going. DreamWorks recently bought AwesomenessTV and Warner Bros also recently invested $18M into the video gamer You Tube channel Machinima.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom