News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Jon81uk

I just agree with Martin and others who would prefer to see new attractions added from scratch as opposed to scrapping those that already work.
I'd rather they do both, refresh current rides and add new ones. Even just the replacement of Alien with something form the last 20 years, or add Titanic or another classic movie that is under 30 years old. Then add several new attractions as well and replace the beauty and the beast show.

Don't forget that Univeral Orlando is about the same age as DHS and the only opening day attraction left is ET. But Universal also expanded and added new rides, as well as updating or replacing existing ones. Disney could have done the same, replace a few things and add a few things.

Why does everyone freak out from some rumor someone heard from somebody who knows something. Relax and enjoy. No reason, at all, to get upset about things like this. Be happy for what we have and if you don't like Disney anymore, don't go, it won't hurt any of us who love it and keep going.
Well, that source and another, Mr. Martin, who is a very good source from what I've seen, has all but confirmed it. I don't see why not to take it and run with it.

PorterRedkey

I know it cost money to run attractions, but if Disney keeps replacing my favorite rides I am not going to be happy. They are starting to P@#$ me off. Granted I do not know the details of the new attraction, but Disney's track records for replacing popular, existing attractions with newer attractions is more miss than hit. I am thinking Horizons to Mission Space, Peoplemover to Rocket Rods, Original Imagination to JIYI to Imagination with Figment and The Living Seas to Nemo.

They have plenty of room, why not increase capacity by building a new ride? Instead of building new, they replace an attraction, losing that capacity. Then Disney builds another ride in its place that will be initially more crowded because it is new - making the parks more crowded.

Disney, please start renewing/refurbing your other classic attraction like you do with Pirates, HM, Space, BTM,and Splash. Maelstrom just needed an update, not a replacement. I feel the same about the GMR.

Sped2424

This was something that was rumored at the beginning of the Hollywood redo rumors. Sad to see it's back and realer than ever. The only thing I would hope for is a movie ride 2.0 but something tells me that isn't what's happening here is it.

TeriofTerror

Very dated? Aren't classic movies still classic? Sure the animatronics could be updated, but I still find most of the scenes relevant to the ride's theme. Okay, Alien and Tarzan could use an update, but this attraction still remains popular and fits the current theme.

Now if this is because the park's new name and direction will be entirely different, then maybe I can understand it more. I just agree with Martin and others who would prefer to see new attractions added from scratch as opposed to scrapping those that already work.
Can I get an "amen"?! That ride is chock-full of references to so many of my favorite movies - that, I hasten to add, were released long before I was born!

PorterRedkey

That ride system is the most unreliable thing ever. Breaks all the time. Plus it uses people which is a huge cost. I think it's safe to say that it's going away, or at the very least being automated with new vehicles.
I was asking this because @marni1971 had said that everything structural behind the facade will remain. That would seem to include the ride system. Maybe I am just hoping this is true.

Animaniac93-98

The other side of the TCM deal was the classic Disney movies with the great Leonard Maltin introductions being shown on TCM. I will be sorry to see them go back into the vault, since Disney seems to have no interest these days in showing its own classic films on any of its own networks, including the "Disney" Channel.

I am sure you agree, @Animaniac93-98 .

The broadcast deal could be independent of theme park sponsorship. They were showing some Disney movies, plus their own documentary on the live-action classics, prior to the start of the "Vault" programming block.

I hope that regardless of what happens to this ride, there will still be a place for Walt and Mickey on TCM.

FigmentJedi

Wow, for a park overhaul premise that's about "Let's step into the movies", this is a really stupid idea to take out the ride based entirely on that concept that explores a diverse array of genres.

Can't they just build something new behind Sunset Boulevard and let this park's ride count finally get past "Easily countable on two hands" numbers?

Animaniac93-98

Getting rid of this ride would be akin to the closing of Horizons at EPCOT.

By all means find ways to make it better, but please don't rob WDW of yet another ambitious AA dark ride. It's the kind of attraction that makes Disney's parks better than Universal's and others.

(and yes, I realize this request will do nothing to change Disney's mind)

prberk

The broadcast deal could be independent of theme park sponsorship. They were showing some Disney movies, plus their own documentary on the live-action classics, prior to the start of the "Vault" programming block.

I hope that regardless of what happens to this ride, there will still be a place for Walt and Mickey on TCM.

I would like to see a place for Walt and Mickey (hand-drawn, with Walt's voice) on The "Disney" Channel, too...

prberk

They should at least be showing the holiday specials (DTV Valentine, Disney's Halloween Treat), or soemthing similar if nothing else.

But that's another topic besides the fate of GMR.

That's true, although I can say that it really is related: It has to do, I think, with the current management's lack of concern for showcasing the classic films, their own or anyone else's. They took them all off the "Disney" Channel just as they really started to allow the "Hollywood" part of the Studios theme park to decline and erode piece by piece.

Disney used to be a masterful company with regard to keeping its classics in the public eye while also introducing new things and exploring new ideas. I think Bob Iger has lost the ability to do keep that balance. And this current move may also show that, in that they take a well-themed park that manages to use that theme to tie in disparate ideas (yes, including Star Wars as a movie set) and let it start to die on the vine before being "reimagined" as a mish-mash.

And now we all know that even the best-themed ride in all of WDW (the ToT) was even at risk of trading a classic theme to a trendy Marvel theme that would not match -- and now the GMR has likely fallen to the risk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom