1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by TheVisionarySoul, Aug 2, 2016.

1. egg

egg Well-Known Member

I think the Mission Breakout's 4 month, 23ish day turnaround is proof that Disney can operate quickly and efficiently when they choose to. I realy think The Great Movie Ride could've closed after Toy Story Land opened, and still made the Star Wars Land deadline, but they saw it as a better business decision to close it two weeks ago.

2. asianway

asianway Well-Known Member

My question is - was it even necessary? It had a high capacity, and since MM+ it has been operating at a good utilization.

Converting it wont add any capacity. and you would think the added revenue from SWGE would offset any ongoing Opex at GMR - at least until they needed to squeeze at some point in the future.

3. bclane

bclane Well-Known Member

Can you do one with a Storm Trooper helmet or maybe a Jedi robe wrapping the whole building? Lol!

MichaelaSP and Movielover like this.
  4. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

No, it never was the official Icon. When the park opened it was the Earfull Tower, then they put a secondary title on ToT. The theater, although a major focal point in the park, (also known as a wienie) was downgraded by the addition of the Hat, which also was never officially considered the Icon. The theater along with the afore mentioned other attractions were highlighted on souvenirs and other merchandise because they were so recognizable.

EDIT: Sorry I should have read through before being redundant. I see it has been answered a number of times.

GlacierGlacier likes this.
  5. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

For the entirety of the hat's lifespan, it was used as the literal icon for the park alongside Cinderella Castle, Tree of Life, and Spaceship Earth on just about everything. Sure, some leftover signage still had the Earful Tower, but the hat was, for all intents and purposes, the official icon from 2001-2015.

6. Cesar R M

Cesar R M Well-Known Member

7. cheezbat

cheezbat Well-Known Member

Thank God it's gone. I always hated it.

Now with Mickey becoming front and center at DHS with his new ride in the Chinese Theatre, maybe it's finally time to make this weenie the park icon. It's just stupid not having an icon in the center of the park.

8. Sped2424

Sped2424 Well-Known Member

It's done for a very specific reason clearly. If disney could make it the park icon on all merch and etc with 0 issues and costing them nothing I am sure it would have been done by now.

9. Tom Morrow

Tom Morrow Well-Known Member

SSE is at the front of the park ;)

But I know what you mean, it's weird not having the icon be the main focal point. But then when you consider how DCA and TDS don't really have one centralized icon either, or how both Universal's icons - the globe, the archway, and the IOA lighthouse are outside the front gates. it's less weird.

10. HMF

HMF Well-Known Member

Mission Cashgrab is an example of cheapness and greed, not efficiency.

11. HMF

HMF Well-Known Member

I still find it ironic that they removed the hat only a few years before they turned GMR into a Mickey Ride. Not that I want it back.

12. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

I think that is what I said (without the yearly numbers). We were talking about the Theater, which was also shown on promotions, but, was never considered the official Park Icon, nor was the BAH. We will call that the era of indecision on the part of company executives and also highlights the insignificance of making any single item an Icon unless it is what greets you as you walk into the park or what the park was build around. We as "guests" decide, for ourselves, which item that brings us the most significant memory and representation. Personally, I think, that with the inclusion of Mickey in the Theater, that will become the Icon. It encompasses all of Disney with the corporate Icon that started it all.

cheezbat and Tom Morrow like this.
  13. egg

egg Well-Known Member

I never said I'm a fan of the decision. All I'm saying is, the short timeline is proof that the company can do things quickly when they want to.

14. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

The Hat was certainly considered the icon over the years.

15. TROR

TROR Well-Known Member

Although Disney has a hard time realizing it, Carthay Circle Restaurant/Theater is DCA's icon. Once Pixar replaces Mickey's Fun Wheel, maybe they'll finally get to using CCT on more of their marketing.

EricsBiscuit, Kram Sacul and HMF like this.
  16. Sketch105

Sketch105 Well-Known Member

Any new demolition news besides the Alien/Tarzan scenes that were earlier reported? Anything else been hauled out?

Brer Oswald likes this.
  17. rocketraccoon

rocketraccoon Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if any scenes are still complete. Most (all?) animatronics were gone weeks ago.

Unless someone on the inside leaks what's happening we probably won't know. The photos of the Alien deconstruction was probably very lucky timing.

18. AEfx

AEfx Well-Known Member

Eh, I think Disney was pretty clear that unfortunately the BAH was indeed the park icon.

[​IMG]

HauntedPirate likes this.
  19. LieutLaww

LieutLaww Underwater Basket Weaver Premium Member

Arghhh kill it kill it with fire or nuke it from orbit !

Steel City Magic and cheezbat like this.
  20. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

The first AAs were in central shops less than 24 hours after closing.