News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

AndyWDW

It might seem silly but closing this ride and losing the Streets of America has for the first time made me look at tickets to Universal....I have always been a WDW only visitor and the older rides were my families favorite. Is there anything comparable at Universal...or anywhere for that matter?

LukeS7

It might seem silly but closing this ride and losing the Streets of America has for the first time made me look at tickets to Universal....I have always been a WDW only visitor and the older rides were my families favorite. Is there anything comparable at Universal...or anywhere for that matter?
Not really. The closest thing would probably be the nighttime show on the lake, but other than that, there's no ride at Uni that goes through multiple intellectual properties like that. On top of that, there's also the fact that Uni seems to very much prefer screens over AA's. The Universal Studios park used to have areas centered around different cities kinda like SOA but that's become extremely disjointed with the closure of some attractions and the additions of others (Wizarding World, Simpsons Land, Fast and Furious, etc.), not that it was all the cohesive in the first place

AndyWDW

Not really. The closest thing would probably be the nighttime show on the lake, but other than that, there's no ride at Uni that goes through multiple intellectual properties like that. On top of that, there's also the fact that Uni seems to very much prefer screens over AA's. The Universal Studios park used to have areas centered around different cities kinda like SOA but that's become extremely disjointed with the closure of some attractions and the additions of others (Wizarding World, Simpsons Land, Fast and Furious, etc.), not that it was all the cohesive in the first place
Good to know! Thanks for the reply!

HMF

I would say Universal is the model Disney seems to be heading towards. A random collection of IPs with no overriding theme or reason.

Kman101

And as much as I love Universal, for what it is, what does it leave those who can't do screens or coasters with to do? That's where Disney still beats them out, there's a vast variety of rides. Sure we're getting a few more coasters, a screen based ride here and there, but we're also still getting rides many more guests can do, like River Journey, Rat, Runaway Railway. Sure they are mixed with screens but still ...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And as much as I love Universal, for what it is, what does it leave those who can't do screens or coasters with to do?
Universal Orlando was always pitched at the teen-ish, racier and more in your face crowd. For better or for worse it never was aimed at a full cross section of guests. Jay Bangs all around.

The rumors indicate that after Fast & Furious, Universal will be moving away from screen rides, but we'll see..
That they are with Nintendo and beyond. F&F will have to be extra special to stand out. I doubt it will.

Kman101

Universal Orlando was always pitched at the teen-ish, racier and more in your face crowd. For better or for worse it never was aimed at a full cross section of guests. Jay Bangs all around.

That they are with Nintendo and beyond. F&F will have to be extra special to stand out. I doubt it will.

I'm not knocking Uni, and more or less was trying to say as well it's built for a different audience. Potter brought in more families and kids, that demographic, and Nintendo will certainly hit the bar with that and change things, which I'm happy about. I'm not entirely against screens if used well, and all of Uni's rides are very fun. I'd say they didn't *need* Fallon though, especially with F&F coming up right behind it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I would say Universal is the model Disney seems to be heading towards. A random collection of IPs with no overriding theme or reason.

Islands of Adventure is not random. Each 'island' is one specific theme or IP. Universal doubled down on that concept with the Potter Lands to great success. And yes, they still have random attractions scattered in their Studio Park, but, it would be wrong to say it's all just random. Potter and the 'islands' aren't randos.

Unless... you want to count that having all those different lands/islands in one park is random. In that case, I'd like to introduce you to Magic Kingdom.

MK had a bunch of random 'lands' (and don't tell me they're all based on 'magic' since Frontier Land and Liberty Square are historical, not magical). And each 'land' had a bunch of random IPs (original ones for the park and pre-existing movie IPs) loosely based on the theme of the land.

With WDW now embracing the one-IP-land model of Potter (and the Islands of Adventure), then WDW is become less of a random collection of IPs. Sure, a park having several unconnected lands may seem random, and again, for that, I give you the Magic Kingdom as the model.

Kman101

Islands of Adventure is not random. Each 'island' is one specific theme or IP. Universal doubled down on that concept with the Potter Lands to great success. And yes, they still have random attractions scattered in their Studio Park, but, it would be wrong to say it's all just random. Potter and the 'islands' aren't randos.

Unless... you want to count that having all those different lands/islands in one park is random. In that case, I'd like to introduce you to Magic Kingdom.

MK had a bunch of random 'lands' (and don't tell me they're all based on 'magic' since Frontier Land and Liberty Square are historical, not magical). And each 'land' had a bunch of random IPs (original ones for the park and pre-existing movie IPs) loosely based on the theme of the land.

With WDW now embracing the one-IP-land model of Potter (and the Islands of Adventure), then WDW is become less of a random collection of IPs. Sure, a park having several unconnected lands may seem random, and again, for that, I give you the Magic Kingdom as the model.

Fair points ...

TROR

Magic Kingdom, just like Disneyland, is a celebration of Americana.

Main Street USA is a celebration of small town life in the US. Tomorrowland is a celebration and showcase of what America can and has done with science and technology. Adventureland is a reflection of Americans' views and of exotic worlds such as Hawaii. Fantasyland is a land full of classic Disney animated films that reflect American values and customs. Liberty Square is a celebration of America's founding. Frontierland is a romantic look upon America's westward expansion.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Fantasyland is a land full of classic Disney animated films that reflect American values and customs. Adventureland is a reflection of Americans' views and **** of exotic worlds such as Hawaii.

Fantasyland is European. So very, very European. When did the American experience have royalty that we did not revolt against? How American is Alice in Wonderland?

Adventureland is global colonialism. So very, very global colonialism. Were those spinning carpets made in America? Polynesian culture is just not Hawaii.

Having an American view of stuff doesn't make it a cohesive theme.

Unless... you're right.. having an American view of stuff does make it a cohesive theme! Put Pandora and Indy and Zootopia and Mystic Manor in DAK? Sure, it's all from an American view, so, it fits! This is great. We now know that there will never be anything out of place in any theme park simply because it's from a particular point of view!

TROR

Fantasyland is European. So very, very European. When did the American experience have royalty that we did not revolt against? How American is Alice in Wonderland?

Disney, for a long time, was seen as American as the Eiffel Tower is French.

Adventureland is global colonialism. So very, very global colonialism. Were those spinning carpets made in America? Polynesian culture is just not Hawaii.

Adventureland is a look at exotic worlds from an American POV, just as Discoveryland is a look at the future from a French POV.

Having an American view of stuff doesn't make it a cohesive theme.

Unless... you're right.. having an American view of stuff does make it a cohesive theme! Put Pandora and Indy and Zootopia and Mystic Manor in DAK? Sure, it's all from an American view, so, it fits! This is great. We now know that there will never be anything out of place in any theme park simply because it's from a particular point of view!

But DAK's theme isn't Americana. DAK's theme is animals and nature.

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would challenge that Disneyland/Magic Kingdom is a celebration of America and its culture. Walt Disney said as much in his opening day of Disneyland.

"Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America..."

Last edited:

No Name

But the Magic Kingom's lands do relate. They are each an classic americana view of different times... past, present, fantasy, future. It was also the first and only park.

Islands of Adventure's lands are random in that they do not relate.

I don't think having four IoA-like random parks at a resort is a sustainable business, but perhaps we shall see.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
But the Magic Kingom's lands do relate. They are each an classic americana view of different times... past, present, fantasy, future. It was also the first and only park.

Taking disparate themes and saying they're related because they're viewed from a particular point of view is very weak sauce.

The same can be said for any theme park...

Islands of Adventure's lands are random in that they do not relate.

They relate because they were built from a contemporary American point of view.

Do you see how weak that is?

I don't think having four IoA-like random parks at a resort is a sustainable business, but perhaps we shall see.

It's been sustainable for IoA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom