News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Disney Dad 3000

Hopefully this managed to capture as much of the attraction as possible, in the highest possible (for a fan) picture and sound quality.

I know it gets said a great deal with your videos, but thank you for putting something of this quality together for the attraction. Really glad to have something like this to look back on.
I knew I was angry and sad with this happening, but didn't realize how much more until these last few days have approached. Life will go on, but it's just insanely stupid that a ride like this, in this park, no matter it's present and future, couldn't have easily existed and thrived

Dizney Crew

Rode the GMR one last time Wed night (hadn't done this attraction in about a year), we had a FP but stand by wasn't too bad under an hour. I was honestly expecting the CM's to put on a little better performance being that this was getting to the end, but sadly it seemed that they more or less mailed it in, which was how it was last time we rode it. Also it was sad that they still couldn't get some of the effects to work for the last few weeks for visitors, the Fantasmic scene could have had the wind effect working and they still can't get both propellers working on the plane scene?!? These seem like simple enough effects that could have been fixed for the rides send off.

It was nice seeing it one last time (had to cancel our FP for Sunday due to scheduling conflicts), but I'm not shedding any tears for this ride, it is beyond dated and it is time for something new. Thats a Wrap GMR!!!!!! Bring on the Mickey ride!!!

raymusiccity

Most of it is likely due to it closing. This is in no way normal for this ride.

Sad, but true. This is what the wait was like on June 7th, 2:30 in the afternoon:
IMG_20170617_161216263.jpg

Casper Gutman

Sort of like how Maelstrom suddenly saw massive crowds on it's last day.
It's almost like, even though such rides may not always draw the longest lines, they are still a key part of why fans love WDW and are willing to spend exorbitant amounts to go there. And if you keep chipping away at that base...

You know, if WDW had four complete parks, replacing attractions would be fine. But they don't. They have one complete park, one very nearly complete park, and two embarrassingly incomplete parks. Even after its big "renovation," MGM will still not be a complete park. Replacing rides under those circumstances is just another sign that WDW has no interest in rectifying that incompleteness.

G00fyDad

Sad, but true. This is what the wait was like on June 7th, 2:30 in the afternoon:
View attachment 222118

People say that this ride was always dead (and I am obviously not doubting you here) but every time I have ridden it the ride had more people than in this photo. It was by no means packed but there was a line of people that filled at least 5 rows of the "cattle gate" queue before going through the doors. I wonder if the low capacity is a recent thing.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
People say that this ride was always dead (and I am obviously not doubting you here) but every time I have ridden it the ride had more people than in this photo. It was by no means packed but there was a line of people that filled at least 5 rows of the "cattle gate" queue before going through the doors. I wonder if the low capacity is a recent thing.
I wish. I've never seen it like this and we don't go in peak season.

Of course there could be 700 guests actually riding beyond the doors to load.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

But, you know that is not likely and that is the way that I have been seeing it for years. It's been a long time since I have even seen them using two trains. I have only seen the full "western scene" once in at least 6 years and I know which train to ride to see it.

Goofyernmost

It's almost like, even though such rides may not always draw the longest lines, they are still a key part of why fans love WDW and are willing to spend exorbitant amounts to go there. And if you keep chipping away at that base...

You know, if WDW had four complete parks, replacing attractions would be fine. But they don't. They have one complete park, one very nearly complete park, and two embarrassingly incomplete parks. Even after its big "renovation," MGM will still not be a complete park. Replacing rides under those circumstances is just another sign that WDW has no interest in rectifying that incompleteness.
Here's what people that are looking beyond today are thinking. Their base, whether we want to believe it or not, will all be gone to that big Theme Park in the sky before long. The base is chipping itself away. To survive the future must be considered and catering to the past may make the "base" smile, but, it won't bring in the new "guest". There never is a good time to take out an old attraction, but, to do it when the place is torn apart and being renewed anyway is not a bad thing. In fact it means that there will be more new stuff sooner rather then later. Doing it when the gate receipts are down due to the "Pardon our Mess" signs that are everywhere, is probably not harmful.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
But, you know that is not likely and that is the way that I have been seeing it for years. It's been a long time since I have even seen them using two trains. I have only seen the full "western scene" once in at least 6 years and I know which train to ride to see it.
It's just as likely as what you just wrote.

We've been through this already.

Disney Dad 3000

I think it has to be cyclical. I've never seen it like that in the last few years but I guess it does happen. I know the MDA usually shows 25-30 min waits whenever my Disney nerd self randomly checks during the week between our visits. I think the shortest I've ever had was maybe half the theater room and that was towards the end of the night.

FigmentForver96

Exactly, I have never, in the years I have been riding, seen the ride so empty. This photo is just a "by chance" photo. There is no way. First off if that ride is that low than the others are low as well because clearly there aren't a lot of people in the park. It's one out of the two family rides in the park.

Goofyernmost

We've been through this already.
Then why do you keep denying it. I know you have good sources but, I know what I have seen and experienced. And that is regardless of what your sources have told you. What happens every single day that I'm not there is something I cannot speak for, but, when I have been there that has been the reality not the 'they tell me by some freak of timing every other moment is full up' or even close enough to warrant the cost of running the attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom