News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

po1998

Dear Disney!

Can you help a brother out by keeping GMR open until mid-September? I want to say my goodbyes.

Signed,

Giant GMR fan.

P.S. Please don't get rid of this ride. Make it the Great Disney Movie ride and put only Disney movies in (if you have to), but please don't destroy this classic ride system and attraction. Especially at a time when you have so few rides at DHS. The Mickey ride would fit great over in the Animation Courtyard don't ya think.
I get sad every time I open this thread. Among posters in this thread, there is very little objection to leaving the GMR where it is(and update it), and build the Mickey attraction somewhere else in DHS...Launch Bay is the obvious alternative, and construction could start immediately. Believe me, there would be little to no objection if Launch Bay closed ASAP.

Phicinfan

How is digging stuff up relevant? Archeology is specifically focused on human activity.
No, not necessarily. Archeology is the digging up of history, and past civilizations. I agree it would be a stretch, but having them find past civilizations in Africa or some such would help the fit some.

lazyboy97o

No, not necessarily. Archeology is the digging up of history, and past civilizations. I agree it would be a stretch, but having them find past civilizations in Africa or some such would help the fit some.
Yes, necessarily as it is what defines archeology. Civilization is a human activity. The park is about nature, not the different settings presented.

Jamie77

How is digging stuff up relevant? Archeology is specifically focused on human activity.

So? They need to change the entire area to reflect the Indy ride if they for some reason wanted to put it there. Then it would fit. I would say to put it in Africa, but knowing Disney they'd rather fix up an old ride instead of building a new one if they could just change the theme. And the "digging up stuff" line was a tongue in cheek joke.

Jamie77

I get sad every time I open this thread. Among posters in this thread, there is very little objection to leaving the GMR where it is(and update it), and build the Mickey attraction somewhere else in DHS...Launch Bay is the obvious alternative, and construction could start immediately. Believe me, there would be little to no objection if Launch Bay closed ASAP.

I would prefer that the ride stays. However, I hate the Alien scene. I cringe every time we are about to go in there because of that alien on the right side of the ride. Of course, I do like having a new visitor to WDW sit on that end where they get the scare of their lives! :hilarious:

lazyboy97o

So? They need to change the entire area to reflect the Indy ride if they for some reason wanted to put it there. Then it would fit. I would say to put it in Africa, but knowing Disney they'd rather fix up an old ride instead of building a new one if they could just change the theme. And the "digging up stuff" line was a tongue in cheek joke.
Then you just have a land that doesn't fit the park. The park is about "the intrinsic value of nature." That's not archeology.

Goofyernmost

I haven't dismissed any fields of design. So again, why are you so important that you get to dismiss an entire field of design?
I don't dismiss anything, but, I have the ability to see that the standards have changed and it is out of our control. I also think that I can identify what is important and what is fluff or just plan old reasons to complain about something, But, on a personal level, it really is none of your or anyone elses business what I dismiss and what I don't. I have stated that already, however, you apparently want something to argue about. Carry on. I just campaign against unreasonable expectations for a damn theme park. I know everyone hates to hear that because we feel that we must control, via our wills, the actions of private companies. The reality is that the only way to exercise any control is with our wallet and we don't want to do that, we'd just rather complain about it.

Goofyernmost

None of us decided it, the creators of these parks did (Walt Disney, his like-minded business associates and for a while those who came after his passing but still chose to uphold those standards). They set a higher standard for themselves to begin with, so it is only logical and fair for their fans and customers to hold them to those same standards.

A couple of lights being out among hundreds of working ones is entirely understandable. The problem is when they pile up to the dozens or more and management sits for months or even years without fixing them. The original system of light maintenance was quite effective. The only bulbs that would be broken were the rare 1 in 100 sort of defect that did not match its life expectancy (and Disney maintenance changing bulbs out at 80% life expectancy further reduced chances of seeing any broken bulbs). And those too were addressed proactively overnight and not left unaddressed.

I'm actually glad to see LED tech reaching such a mature and quality state finally. Besides now looking great (when the proper color is used that is), it can help compensate for Disney's lesser management policies in the modern era. Though even this hasn't completely compensated as LEDS can die prematurely if materials, wiring etc aren't up to snuff (Narcoosees is now all LED but has a lot of non functional lights).
Walt Disney died 50 years ago. The ideas he had, great for his time, were based on that time frame. Electricity early on was a luxury item and buildings outlined with lights was a symbol of prestige and importance. Now it is just carnival like and no longer really has a reason for existence other then some people like to see it. It no longer has meaning or any real message. That is why most of the lights bordering the Grand Floridian are gone. They actually cheapen the experience now. Back then it was a posh move. Times change, how often must that be said.

MerlinTheGoat

Walt Disney died 50 years ago. The ideas he had, great for his time, were based on that time frame. Electricity early on was a luxury item and buildings outlined with lights was a symbol of prestige and importance. Now it is just carnival like and no longer really has a reason for existence other then some people like to see it. It no longer has meaning or any real message. That is why most of the lights bordering the Grand Floridian are gone. They actually cheapen the experience now. Back then it was a posh move. Times change, how often must that be said.
The Grand Floridian was built in 1988, and the lights adorning the roof line were already extremely "antiquated" then, just as they are today. The entire resort was designed almost entirely around something from the early 1900s (if not late 1800s). And that was wholly intentional, relatively little was intended to diverge from that theme, only really the monorail line and having certain modern guest comforts and amenities (not including the unfortunate and poor modern decor renovations they made to the rooms in recent years of course). The cast members also wear vintage clothing and there is a very old car and horse-drawn carriage at the entrance to further nail that in. Same goes for the EPCOT Resorts. Even Disneyland's Main Street USA was "dated" by many decades in 1955. That was fully intentional, these structures not having this kind of lighting it is very inappropriate to the theme they are trying to evoke. And you're probably the first person i've ever come across who thought it was cheap or tacky. It's a truly absurd lack design sense to want to remove such an integral element to this sort of architecture...

I am very happy to say that Disney management HAS been addressing some of the lightbulb issues around WDW property for the past several years now. They have gotten somewhat better at repairing the traditional incandescent lighting and are starting to gradually replace some areas with LEDs now that the tech has matured and lowered in price. Main Street looks far better than it has for ages, vastly more lights are currently functional than not. The roof on the Crystal Palace has been retrofitted with LEDs now. All the themed bus stops at MK also have functional lighting (LED). They have been doing work on the MK monorail station lately that appears to include electrical work for the trim lighting. The boat docks and ferries have functional trim lighting on the roofs. While the lagoon side of Grand Floridian still needs help, the check in side actually looks pretty fantastic currently with all the lighting having been converted to LED, most if not all functional. The same is true of EPCOT, the World Showcase buildings are pretty consistently functional (these have always played a part in the Illuminations show, they seem to keep these working fairly consistently) and even the resort area has a lot of the lighting working again (again they've been converting a lot of the strings to LED). Especially the Boardwalk.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I don't dismiss anything, but, I have the ability to see that the standards have changed and it is out of our control. I also think that I can identify what is important and what is fluff or just plan old reasons to complain about something, But, on a personal level, it really is none of your or anyone elses business what I dismiss and what I don't. I have stated that already, however, you apparently want something to argue about. Carry on. I just campaign against unreasonable expectations for a damn theme park. I know everyone hates to hear that because we feel that we must control, via our wills, the actions of private companies. The reality is that the only way to exercise any control is with our wallet and we don't want to do that, we'd just rather complain about it.
What you dismiss becomes the business of others when you lecture them as part of your campaign against an entire field of design.

Disney continues to hire lighting designers and spend lots of time and money on lighting design. If the lighting design of the Grand Floridian was actually changed the lighting would have at least been turned off. The lights aren't gone, they were just allowed to burn out without care.

Last edited:

Biff215

The best part about using Launch Bay is you could likely start construction without even closing it. What's being used wouldn't be much more than queue space when the main building was done.

Why are we talking about lightbulbs?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom