News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
LOL. Between DisneyQuest, GMR, the Tower coming up again, and now this, I'm going to have a stress stroke. We aren't going again until Dec., and skipped last year. I had to break the Osborne Lights to the boys (DS 25, DS 21) about the upcoming trip. Then Disney Quest. Then GMR. Now possibly Ellen?! WTH?! They're still grumbling about the Adventurer's Club. I mean, we like new things, but too much too soon.....
So far as I know don't worry about ToT.

the_rich

I rode it on tue for the first time in 11 years. Surprised to say I actually liked it more than I remember. That being said it would be cool to have some updated scenes. And I'm not totally against the idea of the new Mickey ride though; I would hope they keep the exterior. It's just so iconic. But boy does that park need star wars land to open as soon as possible, didn't even spend half a day there. Really enjoyed toy story mania and little mermaid is still a great little show.

Herbie

I've always considered what scenes should be updated but have found it hard to consider worthy choices that would blend in with the classic films... Penny for everyone else's thoughts?

Princess Leia

Alien is one of the best scenes. The build up is fantastic. Updated AAs would put it over the edge. Footlight Parade for something, switch Public Enemy with Casablanca, Casablanca with Gone with the Wind, Tarzan with something etc. Wizard of Oz, Alien, Indiana Jones could stay
My ideas:
  • All AAs get a makeover- most of them really need it
  • Switch out Footlight with a Fred & Ginger dancing scene
  • keep the Gangster and Cowboy scenes but add Leo DiCaprio from Gangs of New York (which was produced by Miramax-owned by Disney) to the Gangster scene (keeping Cagney of Course)
  • keep Alien (it's still topical)
  • keep Indiana Jones in Egypt- unless Disney builds an IJ land, then find a new home for the Indy & Sallah AAs- or move him to the jungle scene
  • Change the jungle scene to the Jungle Book (2016)
  • Or change the jungle scene to GotG (there, the Guardians are in the parks, Disney, you happy?)
  • keep Casablanca
  • add some more effects to Fantasia
  • keep Wizard of Oz
  • use the original concept of copies of the movie AAs being in the final scene, along with the gangster and bandit
Unfortunately, my list isn't perfect. The newest things on my list are Jungle Book and GotG, and before that, Gangs of New York. I just wouldn't want to move Casablanca from where it is.

Goofyernmost

One is also a headliner with FP. In a park with five rides. Surely they have maintenance workers just sitting around at DHS waiting for effects to break and need fixing. I heard a rumor that one worker was actually changing light bulbs BEFORE they burn out! And it was 2017, not WDW in 1987.
I often wonder why they would do that. What a waste of resources. I know some get all uptight about a bulb out here and there, but, unless you do that in your own home (go around and replace perfectly good light bulbs before they no longer work) then I fail to see what possible right we have to demand that of any company, including Disney. It is a waste of money and natural resources. Show? No because until it is out it is pulling its weight and doesn't need to be replaced. Wasteful to the nth degree.

Bocabear

My ideas:
  • All AAs get a makeover- most of them really need it
  • Switch out Footlight with a Fred & Ginger dancing scene
  • keep the Gangster and Cowboy scenes but add Leo DiCaprio from Gangs of New York (which was produced by Miramax-owned by Disney) to the Gangster scene (keeping Cagney of Course)
  • keep Alien (it's still topical)
  • keep Indiana Jones in Egypt- unless Disney builds an IJ land, then find a new home for the Indy & Sallah AAs- or move him to the jungle scene
  • Change the jungle scene to the Jungle Book (2016)
  • Or change the jungle scene to GotG (there, the Guardians are in the parks, Disney, you happy?)
  • keep Casablanca
  • add some more effects to Fantasia
  • keep Wizard of Oz
  • use the original concept of copies of the movie AAs being in the final scene, along with the gangster and bandit
Replace ALIEN with Star Wars...you could go right through the middle of a stormtrooper laser battle with a Han and Leia animatronic where Sigourney is now, and a pop up Darth Vader..Bam! Done.
No Leo Di Caprio...and Gangs of New York because of it's gratuitous violence is not a great Family Movie... I like adding Jungle Book, and why Disney cannot negotiate with Turner for an additional 20 seconds of film time and do the Tornado Sequence for the Wizard of Oz is beyond me... It would make it much better.
Love the Fred and Ginger dancing animatronics idea...

Princess Leia

Noooo, no more Star Wars in the 'DHS- I mean Star Wars' park (I clearly love Star Wars, but I don't want DHS to solely have Star Wars offerings). I'd actually be okay if they changed Alien to The Martian, Independence Day, or Star Trek (though that would involve picking between the original cast movies, TNG movies, and the reboot series).

Gangs of New York was the only recent gangster film that I thought might be able to fit in that area. It's hard to come up with 'timeless' films of the past 15 years, because we don't really know what will hold up yet.

a goofy username

they should add an alternate ride track exclusively for 21+ guests with scenes from goodfellas (the 'how am i funny' exchange would look great with AAs), blue velvet, taxi driver, etc.

in all seriousness i have mixed feelings about updating gcm. yeah the AAs could use some upgrades (tarzan mannequin) and maybe a few films could be added/replaced but i don't think i'm ready to see it changed altogether just yet

ToTBellHop

I often wonder why they would do that. What a waste of resources. I know some get all uptight about a bulb out here and there, but, unless you do that in your own home (go around and replace perfectly good light bulbs before they no longer work) then I fail to see what possible right we have to demand that of any company, including Disney. It is a waste of money and natural resources. Show? No because until it is out it is pulling its weight and doesn't need to be replaced. Wasteful to the nth degree.
In general, I would agree. Except for when I go for a week and notice the same bulbs out. Granted, I probably should focus my attention on things other than light bulbs. It's somewhat noticeable to me at night, though. To be fair, the situation has improved recently. WDW maintenance had SERIOUS issues around 2014-2015, but is dramatically improving.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To be fair, the situation has improved recently. WDW maintenance had SERIOUS issues around 2014-2015, but is dramatically improving.

If it's anything like my house and business.. it's because of a switch to LED bulbs. They're good for about a decade (depending on use, of course). What will be interesting is that in 10 years from now... how do you tell when they need to be changed? They're not supposed to 'burn out' but just gradually lose brightness.

I hope the next generation of smart phones have more accurate Lux Meters built into them... we'll need them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom