News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

rocketraccoon

Which is sad considering they usually give people a significant amount of notice before closing a ride right? (like the Tower of Terror wasn't set to close until January 2017 after being announced at a Comic-Con in July 2016)
I'm having a hard time finding an official announcement for when Streets of America got its closing date, but the earliest I can find was in January 2016, with an April 2016 closing date. Two months apart, same as if they announce at D23 and close in Late August/Early September.

Goofyernmost

I'm having a hard time finding an official announcement for when Streets of America got its closing date, but the earliest I can find was in January 2016, with an April 2016 closing date. Two months apart, same as if they announce at D23 and close in Late August/Early September.
Closing Streets of America really didn't require a lot of advanced notice. All anyone had to do is to find a different place to walk. There was really not much of anything that hadn't been previously announced or actually closed, like Lights, Action or the Backlot tour, the later being not much either.

Last edited:

rocketraccoon

Closing Streets of America really didn't require a lot of advanced notice. All anyone had to do is to find a different place to walk. There was really no much of anything that hadn't been previously announced or actually closed, like Lights, Action or the Backlot tour, the later being not much either.
By Streets of America I meant the general area. I should've been more specific. Backlot closed well before it, but a blog post about Lights, Motors, Action! closing was the first I could find on a date for either it or SoA. Streets of America did stay open the day after LMA ended, oddly.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...w-one-more-time-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

Although, a few streets, a playground, a photo op, and a stunt show is a bit different to a major ride, so we'll see.

YodaMan

Like you said, Disney Parks Blog announced the closure of SOA, LMA, Honey, etc around 2 and a half months before it closed. I don't know how much longer they can wait before they announce that GMR is closing if they really do plan to get rid of it in about 4 months.

doctornick

Like you said, Disney Parks Blog announced the closure of SOA, LMA, Honey, etc around 2 and a half months before it closed. I don't know how much longer they can wait before they announce that GMR is closing if they really do plan to get rid of it in about 4 months.
Well, we'll know about 60 days (FP+ availability) if nothing else.

Cesar R M

By Streets of America I meant the general area. I should've been more specific. Backlot closed well before it, but a blog post about Lights, Motors, Action! closing was the first I could find on a date for either it or SoA. Streets of America did stay open the day after LMA ended, oddly.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...w-one-more-time-at-disneys-hollywood-studios/

Although, a few streets, a playground, a photo op, and a stunt show is a bit different to a major ride, so we'll see.
Agree, it was amazing how long they took to do a simple clean up of props and remove the Pearl Habour thing.

PrincessJulia1207

Closing Streets of America really didn't require a lot of advanced notice. All anyone had to do is to find a different place to walk. There was really not much of anything that hadn't been previously announced or actually closed, like Lights, Action or the Backlot tour, the later being not much either.
unless you desperately wanted to get a photo with the "singin in the rain" lamppost :cry::cry: RIP

wdwgreek

Not really. You forgot about Muppet Vision 3D. Muppet Vision 3D opened on May 16th, 1989. While the pre-show changed, the scenes of the show itself never changed.
Wikapedia says it opened in 91?
"The attraction—which opened as Jim Henson's Muppet*Vision 3D on May 16, 1991 at Disney's Hollywood Studios (then Disney-MGM Studios)—incorporates the 3D film in conjunction with in-theater 4D effects, such as Audio-Animatronics, lighting, projections, smoke, soap bubbles, and a live full-bodied performer." As does touringplans.com

Bairstow

Wikapedia says it opened in 91?
"The attraction—which opened as Jim Henson's Muppet*Vision 3D on May 16, 1991 at Disney's Hollywood Studios (then Disney-MGM Studios)—incorporates the 3D film in conjunction with in-theater 4D effects, such as Audio-Animatronics, lighting, projections, smoke, soap bubbles, and a live full-bodied performer." As does touringplans.com

Before Muppetvision...

Bairstow

Yes, it was where little Mermaid is now right? Such a strange show, why would they not use muppet puppets? My point was when the GMR closes there will be no more original day attractions at DHS.

Has that ever happened at a Disney park before?
That ALL the opening day attractions are gone?

HMF

Don't think so, but remember -- DHS started out as MGM, so maybe Corporate is trying to get that bad taste out of its mouth...
Disney-MGM Studios was actually a great idea. The long-term planning could have been better and the concept didn't age well but it was a good idea though, unlike Epcot (Ahem) it is time for the park to have a radical change in concept to make it relevant again.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
unless you desperately wanted to get a photo with the "singin in the rain" lamppost :cry::cry: RIP

Or a photo of pretending to skateboard down the street in SF.

Or watch the street performers. I loved the Blues Brothers - a flash mob before they became trendy!

Or "sit" on the steps in front of one of the houses.....

Yes, I'm one of the few it seems who just loved the whole SOA and Backlot Tour part of the park. :cry: Glad to see I'm not alone. I did flinch when I read somewhere on here that apparently "all that stuff became old fashioned in the 90s". Guess it just shows a) that you love the park when you first visited (92) and b) I'm an 80s girl at heart!

Dayma

I haven't posted in a long time and admittedly did not read ALL of this thread. I did have a question though.

How can the GMR be closed at this time? You would think that with Star Wars Land being built they need this ride open for traffic?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom