News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

RandySavage

Materials are an absolutely critical part of architecture - the art of building. Take a house with natural cedar siding and replace it with vinyl siding... the aesthetic difference is night and day. Same goes for theme parks - the way real, natural, traditional materials look, feel, age and weather gives ultimate authenticity and class to any aspect part of a park or building. It's a big part of the reason Disneyland Paris is(was) known for its beauty.

Part of the art of imagineering, of course, is making synthetic materials look real (i.e., character plaster, aging, etc.). I don't think Cinderella Castle is the most successful demonstration of this technique - particularly the flat upper levels.

Cesar R M

Majesty-Building.jpg
what.. is.. that?

Goofyernmost

The I-4 Eyesore, a.k.a The Great Glass Member, a.k.a. what happens when televangelists line their pockets with your grandma's social security checks.
I've seen that many, many times but never knew what it was there for. By the time I got someplace where I could ask, it was of so little importance to me that I would forget to ask.

PrincessJulia1207

*UPDATE*
To get this thread back on topic...again... :p
TCM just announced this new travel service! They used to host "TCM cruises" on Disney Cruise ships, but held the final one last fall. I guess they planned this service to take its place?
Anyway, TCM is partnering with Adventures by Disney to do this--what does this say about breaking the sponsorship with Disney (if anything)??

@marni1971 @TheVisionarySoul)

See here: http://tcmdestinations.com

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
*UPDATE*
To get this thread back on topic...again... :p
TCM just announced this new travel service! They used to host "TCM cruises" on Disney Cruise ships, but held the final one last fall. I guess they planned this service to take its place?
Anyway, TCM is partnering with Adventures by Disney to do this--what does this say about breaking the sponsorship with Disney (if anything)??

@marni1971 @TheVisionarySoul)

See here: http://tcmdestinations.com

This came up a few weeks ago.

Possibly TCM will sponsor the ride under a new agreement?

Magic Feather

Use Animation Courtyard and connect to Sunset to create a 1940's Mickeyland which might even allow them to recycle some California Adventure concepts. Not that recycling is encouraged, it's just realistic.

Wasnt this mentioned previously as one of the expansion phases?? I like it though, It would definitely be a cool area for sure. Marie

This is not specifically directed at you, just more of an armchair PSA.
image.jpeg

For any Animation connector, you would block cast access to the cast cafeteria, unless they went through a guest walkway, and, the main Emergency Access Service Road would need to have a ckear, straightaway to sunset. While it would be nice, I doubt it would happen in my lifetime, if ever, as TDO simply doesnt want to spend to relocate and shuffle the cafeteria and service road.

wannabeBelle

This is not specifically directed at you, just more of an armchair PSA.
View attachment 201724
For any Animation connector, you would block cast access to the cast cafeteria, unless they went through a guest walkway, and, the main Emergency Access Service Road would need to have a ckear, straightaway to sunset. While it would be nice, I doubt it would happen in my lifetime, if ever, as TDO simply doesnt want to spend to relocate and shuffle the cafeteria and service road.
Have I told you how much I love visuals like this??!!?? So very cool!!! I thought there had been some discussion about this and maybe this is why it was scrapped?? Thanks for the picture!! Marie

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yeah, the problem with DHS is that it was built like it was going to be used for active studios, and that all changed.

So, there was no planning for expansions with wide connecting guest pathways to high-volume attractions. Instead, they just boxed themselves in with boxy studios buildings and a lot of truly back stage and back lot buildings: cast parking; cast cafeteria; storage buildings; office buildings, etc....

So, the only way forward now is expanding into the swamp/woods (like they did with the new guest parking and the maybe-to-be-built Star Wars resort), OR, to do what they did with Toy Story Land: bulldoze all those back lot buildings.

Bulldozing all the back lot buildings can always be an option... but it's an expensive option. They did it for TSL. DL/CA does it all the time because of how hemmed in they are by urban sprawl. But it can be done. It's doubly expensive because for each back lot building they demolish, they have to find or create a new space for what that building was used for. They just need the budget and reason to do so. And I don't think "more Hollywood-ana niceties" is going to be a good enough reason to do so. :(

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yeah, the problem with DHS is that it was built like it was going to be used for active studios, and that all changed.

So, there was no planning for expansions with wide connecting guest pathways to high-volume attractions. Instead, they just boxed themselves in with boxy studios buildings and a lot of truly back stage and back lot buildings: cast parking; cast cafeteria; storage buildings; office buildings, etc....

So, the only way forward now is expanding into the swamp/woods (like they did with the new guest parking and the maybe-to-be-built Star Wars resort), OR, to do what they did with Toy Story Land: bulldoze all those back lot buildings.

Bulldozing all the back lot buildings can always be an option... but it's an expensive option. They did it for TSL. DL/CA does it all the time because of how hemmed in they are by urban sprawl. But it can be done. It's doubly expensive because for each back lot building they demolish, they have to find or create a new space for what that building was used for. They just need the budget and reason to do so. And I don't think "more Hollywood-ana niceties" is going to be a good enough reason to do so. :(

A lot of expansion was planned - backlot annex area, behind Indy, Sunset etc. It just happened a lot sooner than originally planned. And even with other changes wasn't enough.

The original site size and orientation would always be a hindrance. And funnily enough that's not changing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A lot of expansion was planned - backlot annex area, behind Indy, Sunset etc. It just happened a lot sooner than originally planned. And even with other changes wasn't enough.

The original site size and orientation would always be a hindrance. And funnily enough that's not changing.

When one looks at a map and sees no clear areas to expand into (besides behind Indy), it's hard to see the planning. Were there significant amounts of clear areas but then they dropped a whole bunch of back lot buildings into those spaces?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
When one looks at a map and sees no clear areas to expand into (besides behind Indy), it's hard to see the planning. Were there significant amounts of clear areas but then they dropped a whole bunch of back lot buildings into those spaces?
Sunset was ready and clear. Backlot annex was planned but rushed into production before phase one opened. Star Tours was planned but rushed and later than hoped. Muppet studios was planned but downsized in favour of a quicker sunset.

Sunset wasn't as big as originally planned of course.

PJBuckeye

In the Parks
Yes
Sunset was ready and clear. Backlot annex was planned but rushed into production before phase one opened. Star Tours was planned but rushed and later than hoped. Muppet studios was planned but downsized in favour of a quicker sunset.

Sunset wasn't as big as originally planned of course.

What was cut from Sunset?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom