1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by TheVisionarySoul, Aug 2, 2016.

1. matt9112

matt9112 Well-Known Member

Forbidden journey has very good capacity.....sooooo bad comparison.

rdoncsecz likes this.
  2. matt9112

matt9112 Well-Known Member

I spent far too long trying to read one of those.

Mike S likes this.
  3. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

Are we really conditioned now to accept that a change of theme and IP overlay is actually okay? Like it's the norm and should be expected?

4. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

They're going to do what they want to do. What does complaining about it accomplish? But yeah, I think you answered your own question. We know what they do and what to expect. I don't like it at all but that's what they're doing. Overlays. Replacements. I want new builds but they aren't doing that. How can we change that? And what does hating everything they do on principle (not saying a lot of what they've done inspires confidence, it doesn't) accomplish? If it got results from them, great. But they ignore petitions and fan complaints and they probably laugh at us and they probably laugh at those who eat up everything they do.

It's just speculation about RnRc and it's just the lesser of some other evils to some if they put Guardians there. I personally could care less if they removed Aerosmith from RnRc. Why would switching them out with different eras of rock be a bad thing? I don't want Guardians going there.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    El_Tomato likes this.
  5. marni1971

What does being a member of this forum accomplish?

6. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

What have we done to change anything? I'm not being snarky but serious. What have our endless complaints done? What can they do?

This is a discussion board. (Which I know they read.) It's to discuss and debate and dissect. It doesn't always have to be complaining and hating everything they do.

Nothing to say about the rest of my post? Ok ...

7. marni1971

Which is what we do. If we don't like something we say so. As part of the discussion.

To be honest for a lot of people it seems there's not been much that they've done that deserves much praise for a long time now.

The reasons why people are so passionate about what they dislike has been discussed ad nauseum.

If you don't like the complaining part of a discussion you can always skip past it. With respect.

DisneyExpert, Alice a, *Q* and 12 others like this.
  8. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

It's not really about the complaining. I do skip past a lot of it. And I complain as well. You're sort of missing my point in mentioning that, with all due respect.

I've asked you what we can do and you aren't really answering that. I'm all for changing the mindset but they don't listen to us, even you acknowledge that. So what does complaining accomplish? I'm not being snarky or saying I don't think the complaints are valid. You have read most of my posts, no?

So tell me what can be done, constructively, to change the mindset that they have.

And answer me please, what does complaining and hating what they do on principle solve or accomplish? It doesn't. It's not about not having an opinion, I'm the first one to remind people this is a discussion board and opinions widely vary ...

And also knowing things like you do and knowing what could be and what it won't be, maybe isn't always the best.

I'm disappointed too but I'm not going to protest certain things out of spite or on principle unless I knew it accomplished something. So again, please tell me how we can do something about it.

Prince Thomas and El_Tomato like this.
  9. MansionButler84

MansionButler84 Premium Member

We have impacted some projects in the past. And I'll leave it at that.

10. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

Worse then that, it's encouraged!

11. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

That's all I was looking for. Thank you. But if we want things to change, we have to be united on certain things. I understand complaints serve a purpose but I want to know that it is serving a purpose. That's all.

And why the secrecy on what's been impacted? I'd like to know that we do make a difference. I'm guessing Tower of Terror for one.

I don't think anything I asked was unreasonable or anything. Like I said I want to know we're making a difference and what we should be fighting against.

They aren't stopping IPs or toons in Epcot. I'd prefer to stop that and a lot of other things as well but you know they ultimately will do what they want to do.

12. disneyC97

disneyC97 Member

I could be wrong but it seems there are way more AAs at the DL Splash Mountain.

Back on topic...boo! to GMR leaving

Kram Sacul and LazerLuke993 like this.
  13. wdisney9000

wdisney9000 Well-Known Member

It is also defended, fiercely.

14. lazyboy97o

lazyboy97o Well-Known Member

Which is even stranger, as so many claim to not really care. It's a hostile apathy, as though caring is some sort of attack that must be defended against.

Animaniac93-98 and Mike S like this.
  15. wdisney9000

wdisney9000 Well-Known Member

The very essence of layered theme with fluidity and true cohesiveness is being dismantled in favor of single layer, flashy, lazy storytelling lacking soul but with a themed cup cake to create "synergy".

I would rather voice my concern and be labeled a "complainer" , than applaud and accept minimal effort. Will I still visit and spend money? yes. There are still many aspects of the resort which I enjoy have yet to be meddled with. Which is also a reason I send emails to the company and "complain" here, in an effort to prevent further pigeonholing. The individual complaints and emails may seem insignificant, but they will accumulate over time. With enough people properly voicing concern, it will eventually be hard to ignore.

Kram Sacul, Alice a, Mike S and 3 others like this.
  16. Goofyernmost

Goofyernmost Well-Known Member

I hate to always point out how little control we have over what they want their parks to be, but, again, it may very well be that change of theme and IP overlay is the new norm and should be expected. What is the use of feeling otherwise? We lack the power to change anything and some source of information they possess, that we don't, might just be saying this is the way to go to maximize profit and not really do any damage to attendance. Would I like it to be that way? Of course not, but, it will be whatever they decide they want it to be, so why get ulcers over it. We either accept the way it is or what it is becoming and spend our money there or we find a different diversion and put some variety into our lives. Personally, I plan to go the later direction. WDW or Disney in general no longer speaks to me. OK, the world doesn't revolve around me, so somethings like ageing, death, taxes and the whims of Disney have to be accepted, not liked, but, accepted. The difference between the four things I just mentioned is that we don't have to participate in the last one unless we decide to do so. The other three give us a lot less choice.:)

17. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

I'm actually not saying don't complain but that seems to be what's being focused on. I just think a more concerted effort than just complaining is more effective. What have we done to stop what they're doing? Not being snarky but they do what they want. I want to know that it makes a difference and they've shown it really doesn't so why come off as just being seen as complainers? I voiced complaints about them closing GMR in the park. I complain about what they do quite a bit. Can we stop the Tiki room? Mickey going into GMR?

18. HMF

HMF Well-Known Member

As I said the only way under the Bobs to preserve the parks is for the Film Studios to shut down. Not that I really want or expect that to happen.

L.C. Clench likes this.
  19. RoysCabin

RoysCabin Well-Known Member

There's one part of all of this that does make me stop and consider a couple of factors; I've read a couple accounts here and there of people who are of the mind that the Hollywood "franchise bubble" could potentially burst within the next few years (of course, those analyses also add caveats that things could work out just fine for the current movie business model with the right circumstances), that especially in 2018 we're projected to be in a movie scene that has a tentpole/franchise release coming out for mass release every weekend and that at some point those big ticket movies are going to thoroughly cannibalize each other, leaving only a few standing, likely with the Avengers Infinity War flicks near the top of the survivors list. It was actually Steven Spielberg and George Lucas who posited this, noting how we increasingly live in a world where there are fewer and fewer "mid level" movies like simpler comedies or thrillers, and instead we get bigger and bigger gambles on potential blockbusters.

The question that comes to mind for me is: does this potential for a bubble burst have any possible impact on theme park design, given that theme parks have been moving in the franchise direction to keep pace with what Hollywood is putting out? I'm not trying to play wishful thinking on my part: I'm pretty clearly of the crowd that would prefer to go back to a model where most theme park experiences had less to do with pre-existing properties, even if they were at least partially inspired by them, but I do think there are some serious questions here to consider should the Hollywood trend run into some kind of hiccup within the next few years. It's been mentioned before, for example, that IPs are nothing new in Disney theme parks, but what is new about the modern trend, at least since the late 90s or so, is how "in your face" some of the usage is, particularly with regards to overlaying older attractions and heavily pushing gift shops and merchandising to a degree not seen previous to that time (the irony on the movie side of this being that George Lucas basically has himself to blame, at least in part, for these developments). Do we hit a snag at some point where the call to make more and more large scale attractions of tentpole franchises creates some kind of bubble effect, whether by overshooting consumer demand or by simply running out of space for all of them at current theme parks?

I'm spitballing here, not claiming to have any notion or idea if any of this will happen or what the impact on theme parks might be, but I think it would be wise to at least be considered by those in positions to do so. I know the modern corporate mindset is more "just focus on the next two quarters"...I simplify for effect, I realize...but there are questions to be answered here about what happens if the current Comic Con-ing of the entertainment world doesn't end up having staying power.

20. the-reason14

the-reason14 Well-Known Member

No. The DL version of splash is incoherent in comparison to the WDW one. The story is not as clear, and you move by the scenes too quickly to appreciate that there are more AAs in the DL version. How anyone can think the DL version of splash is better is beyond me, but to each their own. I'm one of the only people in existence to think that WDW's space is superior, but that's mostly the nostalgia talking in me.