Disney May Be Next in Line to Buy Warner Bros??

PhilharMagician

Did those rights come with Six Flags when TW sold it? How long are those rights good for?

I doubt it since the all of the WB character themes seem to be disappearing. It seems like Six Flags are trying to save money by reducing licensing fees. Otherwise there would be no real reason to remove the theming and have the rides and/or areas of the parks loose their identities.

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Six Flags just does not get the idea of a theme park. They operate more like a permanently located carnival with cheap, poorly maintained rides and games.

Actually, Blame Premier Parks when they bought them from Time Warner...When Time Warner owned the parks they had big plans to roll out a lot of things they planned using their IP's..Such as Sports Illustrated sports fests, They had an HBO Backlot Commissary, Huge stunt shows, A nighttime show based on Quest for Camelot to name a few...And when they were in direct competition they even slapped back at Disney's face...Remember these ads in the 90's..
COMICAD_six_flags.jpg

SirLink

Those film rights did include the theme park rights. Universal's licensing agreement is with Warner Bros. Consumer Products.

But once Warner Bros was happy with the Universal they still had to reach out to JK Rowling for her to give the go ahead. JK has right of first refusal on all Warner Bros related projects that contain Harry Potter.

Bparso87

I think the worst example was Geauga Lake/Six Flags Ohio/Six Flags World's Of Adventure when they bought Sea World of Ohio and expanded the size to make that park the Flagship since they had the company move there..But, when the company went into Chapter 11 they made the decision to close it down and remove all rides from it...
What a joke of an amusement park I went there about 10 years ago half the rides where broke down and was really dirty worst park I ever been to but the funny thing is the water park was ok

PeterAlt

I doubt it since the all of the WB character themes seem to be disappearing. It seems like Six Flags are trying to save money by reducing licensing fees. Otherwise there would be no real reason to remove the theming and have the rides and/or areas of the parks loose their identities.
So, they (TW) got a good deal when they sold it off, charging extra for licensing fees.

PeterAlt

Here's two more reasons why Disney should buy TW (or why Iger would be interested in buying them):

- Buying TW would put TW's CEO as the front runner to succeed Iger as CEO when he leaves in 2016.

- Warner Bros. Hollywood Studio Tour (which I will be visiting next week) could get an Imagineering makeover and ties with Disneyland, possibly becoming Disneyland's third gated theme park...

PeterAlt

Actually, Blame Premier Parks when they bought them from Time Warner...When Time Warner owned the parks they had big plans to roll out a lot of things they planned using their IP's..Such as Sports Illustrated sports fests, They had an HBO Backlot Commissary, Huge stunt shows, A nighttime show based on Quest for Camelot to name a few...And when they were in direct competition they even slapped back at Disney's face...Remember these ads in the 90's..
COMICAD_six_flags.jpg
New York? It's in New Jersey! Great Adventures!

ABQ

COMICAD_six_flags.jpg

New York? It's in New Jersey! Great Adventures!
That flyer was full of lies. As always, anyone living in the mountain time zone was ignored. So, no, there is NOT a Six Flags near you if you are left in exile within the Rocky Mountain range.

dadddio

The Six Flags in upstate NY called The Great Escape has removed nearly all if not all of the WB association. All of the rides and areas of the park that were named after WB characters have been renamed generically. Of course when this was done it was done poorly which is expected from a Six Flags park.
I've never been to The Great Escape, but it's on my bucket list so that I can ride The Comet again.

astephen2

It's shocking that antitrust concerns don't seem to be a factor in these mergers. There's only so many studios the size of Disney and Time Warner after all. And it's shocking how much content, across all platforms, comes from the major studios.

I can't see Iger going for this. Iger has been known for buying small studios relatively cheaply (Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar) and then using Disney's resources to ramp them into overdrive. Can't really do that with WB. Plus, the ensuing layoffs would be terrible PR for Iger to leave on.

Ranch Dressing

Heh.

I heard a rumor Disney could be seriously discussing buying DreamWorks animation as we ponder them buying WB.

Wouldn't it be funny if they stuck it to Katzenberg twice? Dreamworks animation has turned into a joke of late, gotta give Eisner some kudos for seeing Katzenberg was a bad leader.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom