Disney is going to scale back the Polynesian DVC plans in a big way.

disn3ydude

If Trader Sam's gets added to the Poly, I'd be happy. Even if it is a copy of the one on the west coast, Trader Sam's would still be nice to see at the Poly.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I love the Polynesian, but I'm not a fan of DVC - it's a huge cash cow for Disney - but I just don't see what all of the hoopla (hoopla!) is about it. And yes, I've sat through the DVC presentations before and I have friends that own DVC.

I have to agree with you on DVC. Again nothing against people that buy in, My beef with DVC is how much money is being sunk into building new DVC resorts when parks, rides, and other guest experiences are either being diminished or going unplussed. And I get the 'why' as it's exactly what you said it's a CASH COW for Disney.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have to agree with you on DVC. Again nothing against people that buy in, My beef with DVC is how much money is being sunk into building new DVC resorts when parks, rides, and other guest experiences are either being diminished or going unplussed. And I get the 'why' as it's exactly what you said it's a CASH COW for Disney.

Building DVC does not take away from the parks. DVC and the parks might as well be 2 completely separate companies. If anything the expansion of DVC will force the parks to expand and improve.

muteki

So the Poly GCH water feature is going the way of the other water features at WDW...........Dirt and flowers.

I am waiting for them to fill in Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. Think of all the money running the Ferry Boats will save. Then pave the lakes over, add parking there, and BAM no more need for monorails.
I'm sure they would extend the stage across the whole Fountain of Nations if they could. Might as well finish the job.

Dawnh16

I want so desperately to believe this.

Yes, two totally separate budgets. Our buy in pays for construction and our dues pay for maintenance. DVC isn't costing the parks anything.

And in theory, b/c there we are people who spent so much money to come to Disney World for the next 50 years they should want to keep us happy by improving the parks as Master Yoda suggested. Whether this is actually happens is another matter entirely.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes

DVC different business branch - different budget.

EDIT: however - I'm with you on the whole "I'll believe it when I see it" mentality

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Trader Sam's is an AWESOME tiki bar out at the Disneyland Hotel. I thought I heard that some of the first Adventurers Club props pulled out were sent there for decor. Certain drinks set off special effects, tiki gods on the walls chant, etc. On CriTiki it's ranked like number 12 for tiki related/themed places in the nation. Drinks are a little touristy (read weak), but it's a great place. (Have my Trader Sam's Rum Barrel in my office, right next to the one from Smuggler's Cove)

I was at DL in May and I thought Trader Sam's was "meh" because it was so small - it's WAYYYYY too small to fit into WDW - they'd have to make it 10x bigger to fly at WDW. My drinks were super-strong and all I tasted was booze. I do have my tiki glass sitting on my bookshelf at home though :)

dgp602

My greatest worry on the DVC expansion and the renovations of GCH was the removal of the water fountain. The sound, sight and smell of that feature immediately brings me back to my childhood and my first stay at Poly back in the late 70's. I now have kids of my own and we retake a picture with my kids every year at the same spot my parents took one of me way back when. I totally get the issues that come along with this feature and the costs involved, but I feel that the water and plants create the perfect welcome and perfect introduction to the whole theme of Poly. Removing this will immediately change the character of GCH and eliminate that feeling you get when you come off the monorail and the doors slide open, and you are hit with the three S's i described above...

Tkiman, will there be some sort of replacement on a smaller scale?

DougK

The water feature will be gone.

Tikiman, I have seen you mention this before but you always seemed to hedge it by saying they may change their mind. This time you are saying like it is definite. Do you have any idea why they would make such a boneheaded decision? Do they really think people love the Polynesian Resort because of the $600+ room rates? Let's face it, it's the "little things" like the water feature, the lobby itself, the tiki torches, 'Ohana, the volcano pool, the beach facing the castle, etc. that make the Poly so compelling. Why do they want to remove something so cool, so beautiful, so pretty, so Disney?

This really saddens me. I don't care if they add DVC or not, they can still find a way to keep the water feature if they want to.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
DVC different business branch - different budget.

EDIT: however - I'm with you on the whole "I'll believe it when I see it" mentality

Yes, two totally separate budgets. Our buy in pays for construction and our dues pay for maintenance. DVC isn't costing the parks anything.

And in theory, b/c there we are people who spent so much money to come to Disney World for the next 50 years they should want to keep us happy by improving the parks as Master Yoda suggested. Whether this is actually happens is another matter entirely.

I always have a hard time buying into the whole budget different branches thing. Mainly because when it comes to this sort of thing, I'm not very bright. ;)

I know it's a finance thing, and I run into this answer all the time at my company when I'm trying to get projects approved.

However - in my feeble little mind, I have this picture in my head that all that money that's coming in profit wise is all going to the same bank account. Then these budgets are made in anticipation of the upcoming fiscal year and then the monies allotted from the giant pile to these different branches --- and I get that, but it all seems so virtual to me!

I still have this vision that it's all still stacked up in the same pile and when it comes time to do something with it, they just say, "don't touch that part of the pile we need to use that to bolster our herd of cash cows"

when they could just as easily say, We better start doing something for these poor b*stards with that stack of money, let's fix the Yeti. ;)

Again this stuff is all made up in the little world that I live in, so no need to explain what the reality is. ;)

asianway

Tikiman, I have seen you mention this before but you always seemed to hedge it by saying they may change their mind. This time you are saying like it is definite. Do you have any idea why they would make such a boneheaded decision? Do they really think people love the Polynesian Resort because of the $600+ room rates? Let's face it, it's the "little things" like the water feature, the lobby itself, the tiki torches, 'Ohana, the volcano pool, the beach facing the castle, etc. that make the Poly so compelling. Why do they want to remove something so cool, so beautiful, so pretty, so Disney?

This really saddens me. I don't care if they add DVC or not, they can still find a way to keep the water feature if they want to.
They could have kept the seating and common areas in the Grand Canyon Concourse too, but they chose not to.

I was actually thinking the other day about at what point the 4th floor water feature would have been removed if they added it in the 80s. At least this way, we still have the mural

dreamfinder

I was at DL in May and I thought Trader Sam's was "meh" because it was so small - it's WAYYYYY too small to fit into WDW - they'd have to make it 10x bigger to fly at WDW. My drinks were super-strong and all I tasted was booze. I do have my tiki glass sitting on my bookshelf at home though :)

I think the size is one of the good things it has going for it. Smuggler Cove (ranked a few notches higher) is 3 stories of seating with multiple bars, but yet still only seats like 47 people. When they get large, you loose some of that character and personality. And it becomes just another eh bar. I agree that it would need to be a smidge larger for WDW, but not huge. I think at a hotel, they could still get away with a 50 person bar. But at DTD, yeah, it might be a bit over crowded. Now something that might fit maybe 200-300 people at once? Perhaps with scheduled events that help to cycle the crowd around? Say like interactive shows of CMs dressed as characters? NNnnnaaaahhhhh, that would never work.

Clever Name

Those waterfalls are just too noisy and the sound is amplified by the atrium. Removal of the waterfalls is a step in the right direction. It would be nice if they replaced it with a play area for the children.

muteki

Those waterfalls are just too noisy and the sound is amplified by the atrium. Removal of the waterfalls is a step in the right direction. It would be nice if they replaced it with a play area for the children.

Not sure if serious.

4QFHH.AuSt.70.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom