Disney is going to scale back the Polynesian DVC plans in a big way.

Losing the water feature is devastating. The Poly is my favorite resort and I've never even stayed there. The lobby is one my favorite places in wdw period and I feel like they're taking away a big part of the Poly's magic!

I agree with you. As a young child, my parents took us to Disney and we mostly stayed at the Polynesian for the beautiful atmosphere. And while it really has gone unupdated (word?), I really feel nostalgia for the place and each time I visit I make it a point to be there.

nolatron

Losing the water feature is devastating. The Poly is my favorite resort and I've never even stayed there. The lobby is one my favorite places in wdw period and I feel like they're taking away a big part of the Poly's magic!

Same here. Never stayed at the Poly but it's always a place of nostalgia for me as my parents took us there to ride the monorail to the park (Ye old park-at-poly loophole, heh). The ambiance around the GCH has always been a favorite of ours.

DW and I picked the Poly for our wedding for these reasons, it has a weird special meaning to us. I'd love to see it get some TLC but hate to see it lose some of it's uniqueness in the process.

aladdin2007

I love that place leave it alone, it just seems like anymore they are out to wreck what people love. Im drawing a blank or brain fluff though on trader sams what is that? What about Ohana/Kona/ etc etc? Is all that going to change or move?? ...the water feature hasnt worked in GCH for sometime now though anyway as like many other water features around Disney, cough maelstrom.

muteki

What is the thought process behind removing the water feature? I know that it is TDO's favorite thing to do but with the Poly's being indoors I figured it still had a shot at surviving. I'm wondering how long we have until all the water features in the FLE will be turned off.

Somewhat relieved to hear about the DVC being scaled back, as I think the lagoon looks cluttered enough as it is with BLT and GF DVC, throwing a bunch more buildings in and around the Poly never seemed like a great idea to me.

dreamfinder

Im drawing a blank or brain fluff though on trader sams what is that?

Trader Sam's is an AWESOME tiki bar out at the Disneyland Hotel. I thought I heard that some of the first Adventurers Club props pulled out were sent there for decor. Certain drinks set off special effects, tiki gods on the walls chant, etc. On CriTiki it's ranked like number 12 for tiki related/themed places in the nation. Drinks are a little touristy (read weak), but it's a great place. (Have my Trader Sam's Rum Barrel in my office, right next to the one from Smuggler's Cove)

tikiman

Original Poster
I love that place leave it alone, it just seems like anymore they are out to wreck what people love. Im drawing a blank or brain fluff though on trader sams what is that? What about Ohana/Kona/ etc etc? Is all that going to change or move?? ...the water feature hasnt worked in GCH for sometime now though anyway as like many other water features around Disney, cough maelstrom.

The water feature works just fine. It is high maintenance and there are times it is down to have the pumps and filters worked on but it is fully functioning. When we were there in May it was turned off one night during our whole stay.

NoChesterHester

I may be grasping at straws, but two rumors in as many days point to budgets of in-progress projects being cut. First Disney's Lifestyle Mall and now the Poly DVC / refurb.

Could the board or directors told Iger, "Bob we authorize 90% of the money for DHS but we want you to do the whole thing." Are they moving CapEx around?

SirLink

I may be grasping at straws, but two rumors in as many days point to budgets of in-progress projects being cut. First Disney's Lifestyle Mall and now the Poly DVC / refurb.

Could the board or directors told Iger, "Bob we authorize 90% of the money for DHS but we want you to do the whole thing." Are they moving CapEx around?

Where did that come from - that is a new one?

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
What is the thought process behind removing the water feature? I know that it is TDO's favorite thing to do but with the Poly's being indoors I figured it still had a shot at surviving. I'm wondering how long we have until all the water features in the FLE will be turned off.

Somewhat relieved to hear about the DVC being scaled back, as I think the lagoon looks cluttered enough as it is with BLT and GF DVC, throwing a bunch more buildings in and around the Poly never seemed like a great idea to me.

I agree with this post. Especially with the part about TDO hating water. I was actually surprised there were water features in the FLE.

awilliams4

ugh...more DVC...whooptie-doo :rolleyes:

Just a knee jerk reaction on my part but when I read this, it made me think of people saying 'you're going to Disney again'. Same kinda thing I felt in that when people say that to me I wonder to myself, why are you so emotionally invested in what I do on my vacation. There is never a really good answer to me for those people that say that except, just my opinion, they are jealous. Why else would they care that I get to go to Disney World over and over again.

DVC at the Poly is pretty big news for a fair amount of Disney fans. Curious, is the whooptie-doo part and the debbie downer reference to a DVC at Poly have anything to with the possibility of you not having any plans to ever stay at say a Poly Grand Villa? If that is the case, why down something you don't plan to participate in?

NoChesterHester

Where did that come from - that is a new one?

Hmmmm.... I swear it was on "The Disney Blog" yesterday in their article about the Imagination Redo... which was pulled from Murf's site. It was right at the end. I just went back to check it and it is gone.

Perhaps I imagined it??? Sorry if bad info.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Just a knee jerk reaction on my part but when I read this, it made me think of people saying 'you're going to Disney again'. Same kinda thing I felt in that when people say that to me I wonder to myself, why are you so emotionally invested in what I do on my vacation. There is never a really good answer to me for those people that say that except, just my opinion, they are jealous. Why else would they care that I get to go to Disney World over and over again.

DVC at the Poly is pretty big news for a fair amount of Disney fans. Curious, is the whooptie-doo part and the debbie downer reference to a DVC at Poly have anything to with the possibility of you not having any plans to ever stay at say a Poly Grand Villa? If that is the case, why down something you don't plan to participate in?

I love the Polynesian, but I'm not a fan of DVC - it's a huge cash cow for Disney - but I just don't see what all of the hoopla (hoopla!) is about it. And yes, I've sat through the DVC presentations before and I have friends that own DVC.

Victor Kelly

So the Poly GCH water feature is going the way of the other water features at WDW...........Dirt and flowers.

I am waiting for them to fill in Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. Think of all the money running the Ferry Boats will save. Then pave the lakes over, add parking there, and BAM no more need for monorails.

71jason

@71jason - what will the lifestyler quotient be at Traders East if it materializes?

Still pretty heavy, but I believe Trader Sams only works as a hotel bar--there was never a chance of it landing at DTD, at least in a recognizable form. Putting it beach-front (ish) at Poly seems the best bet if you're going to build it.

aladdin2007

After looking up trader sams it looks like a really cool place and I think it would fun having it at the Poly, if they stuck to the same kind of design/style. Doesnt the resort in Hawaii have one as well?

Dawnh16

Bummer news all around. The Polynesian is my favorite resort and I definitely wanted to add on DVC points there. I hope they don't scrap it all together. And I've been keeping my fingers crossed they would keep the GCH as is but I guess that's sounding less and less likely :( I do love Trader Sam's though so that's one plus. Keep us posted, Tikiman!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom