Disney Infinity - Which Console?

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
Pretty much since it was first announced I've been following the teasers and subsequent trailers and news articles about Disney Infinity. If they have a page out there you can follow, I'm following it. I'm intrigued but more importantly so is DS7 and I've made the decision to go ahead and pre-order. Sounds easy enough until I realized that we have literally every console (except one - WiiU) it's being released on... so I now have no clue which to pre-order.

So that it's being played on our large television and not a tiny screen (i.e. the 3DS) I'm at least able to narrow it down to the Wii, PS3 or Xbox 360 but beyond that I need some help in deciding.

Here are my assumptions:
Wii: Not in HD so the graphics are probably not near as impressive.
PS3: Full HD. Free online play (i.e. no subscription fees like Xbox Live).
Xbox 360: Potentially better HD graphics (albeit typically unnoticeable for me). Pay to play online (unless you can without an Gold account)?

Not sure how right I am on those but based on them I'm leaning toward the PS3. That said though, if you won't be required to have a Gold Live account to play online then I'd probably lean toward the Xbox.

Help?! :D

Figgy1

Premium Member
I don't know about you but I'm going with the PS3 free online vs only a possibility of better graphics takes it over the top.

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
I don't know about you but I'm going with the PS3 free online vs only a possibility of better graphics takes it over the top.
Yeah like I said above that's where I'm leaning as well. I think quite honestly the only reason I'm on the fence is my Xbox 360 just isn't getting much use outside of DS7 playing Minecraft and to me that's kind of a waste of a great console. LOL!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Yeah like I said above that's where I'm leaning as well. I think quite honestly the only reason I'm on the fence is my Xbox 360 just isn't getting much use outside of DS7 playing Minecraft and to me that's kind of a waste of a great console. LOL!
I love kinnect Disneyland. Not being in the world but it makes being home more bearable!

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
I love kinnect Disneyland. Not being in the world but it makes being home more bearable!
Oh yes and so do I. It was the first game we bought when we got the Xbox. Unfortunately we moved our furniture around in my living room and now the dang Kinnect has the darndest time recognize anything correctly. It sees the sectional behind me as a wall and keeps wanting me to be standing where it is. I'm slowly hinting to DH that it's time to rearrange the furniture again. LOL!

erasure fan1

I don't think the games will be all that different from a graphics standpoint. The debate of this generation is free on line v.s. a pay system. I have both and for me Live is well worth the money. Its overall a better experience from the chat functions to the consistency to overall more players. Maybe its just me and the games I play but it really is a get what you pay for type of thing.

Xbox 360: Potentially better HD graphics (albeit typically unnoticeable for me). Pay to play online (unless you can without an Gold account)?

Not sure how right I am on those but based on them I'm leaning toward the PS3. That said though, if you won't be required to have a Gold Live account to play online then I'd probably lean toward the Xbox.

Help?! :D
If playing online is your thing I would lean to the 360. The online is much better on the 360 in my eyes. I am not a huge online guy but playing on PSN and live, live is way ahead of PSN. If you play the sales you can get Live for under $40 for the year, thats like 3 bucks a month.

Zman-ks

75.gif

x2....

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
Well, I decided and went with the PS3 version. I doubt I'll play online much (it'll most likely be myself and DS7 playing together) but the chance that I might want to pretty much made the PS3 the right decision for me. We don't use the Xbox for much as I mentioned and paying for a Gold Live membership just to be able to play DI online was something I couldn't justify when to play it online with the PS3 I don't have to drop a cent. :) Thanks everyone for your feedback! Now begins the countdown to when I can pick it up from Gamestop! :)

WED99

I'm going for Xbox just because it's my preferred console. Plus I have a feeling the online features will last a lot longer on Xbox, things tend to just die off on PlayStation.

Brer Josh

I'm going against everyone else on this one and getting the Wii U version.
It's going to be around at least another 3 years... If Nintendo do the right thing (lol).

The next XBOX and Playstation are out at the end of the year, and won't be backwards compatible, so getting it on the X360 and PS3 seems like a short term proposition.

WED99

It's going to be around at least another 3 years... If Nintendo do the right thing (lol).

The next XBOX and Playstation are out at the end of the year, and won't be backwards compatible, so getting it on the X360 and PS3 seems like a short term proposition.
Very true, I didn't take the into account. I think that's going to be a big problem for the next year. If I can do it for GTA V I can do it for Infinity I guess :/

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster

While I get your thinking here... we won't be upgrading our consoles so there's no concern that the PS4 (for example) won't be backwards compatible. We simply can't afford to constantly upgrade like that.

If they eventually stop producing games for the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii, we'll just be playing what we've got for awhile. We didn't get a PS3 until they had been out for a year or so and the Xbox 360 we haven't even had for a year. The only reason we even got the PS3 was because we finally were able to afford an HD TV and wanted to get a bluray player. The PS3 we got was one of the ones that were still backwards compatible so for us it just made sense to drop the extra $50 (over a stand alone BR player). We won't be upgrading to the WiiU for the same reasons so getting it on that wasn't even an option.

I think we'll be happy with our PS3 version. We shall see!

erasure fan1

The only problem with that logic is the fact that if online is something you are interested in, Wii U will most likely have the weakest online of all the systems. If the original xbox is any indication, live should go strong for a long time after the new system. If online is not something you are interested in, then no system is better than the others. If single player is what you want, what does it matter if a new xbox or playstation comes out? A new system doesn't mean your old one will no longer function. Personally I would worry about the Wii U version based on sales of the system. Developers seem to be avoiding the system all together i.e. EA drops Madden from Wii U. So if bad sales continue, you may not get all of the new content and updates.

Brer Josh

The only problem with that logic is the fact that if online is something you are interested in, Wii U will most likely have the weakest online of all the systems. If the original xbox is any indication, live should go strong for a long time after the new system. If online is not something you are interested in, then no system is better than the others. If single player is what you want, what does it matter if a new xbox or playstation comes out? A new system doesn't mean your old one will no longer function. Personally I would worry about the Wii U version based on sales of the system. Developers seem to be avoiding the system all together i.e. EA drops Madden from Wii U. So if bad sales continue, you may not get all of the new content and updates.

Providing some commentary here...

How can you know XBOX Live for the 360 will remain 'strong' after the 720 launches at the end of the year?
This is unlike the last generation (timely, the XBOX is 8 years old soon), at this stage anyway, you can't make a comparison when no price or specs exists - the latest rumors point to a possible subscription model for the next gen XBOX console.

As to the sales of the Wii U, that's standard for any new console as it establishes itself - how long did it take for the PS3 to actually sell? Remember the joke, the PS3 has no games? A person in this thread also didn't buy an XBOX360 until 7 years into its life cycle (like a lot of consumers as the RRP bottomed out), so I'm not worried about the WiiU having slow uptake.

If anything buying this on WiiU ensures I can enjoy this game for years to come, again the 360 and PS3 versions are really only 18 months propositions. Madden isn't out on WiiU for a few reasons but mostly the market isn't there, they are playing it on XBOX360/PS3 platforms and it only sells in the US - believe it or not, the rest of the world doesn't care and doesn't buy American Football games... FIFA on the other hand...

WED99

How can you know XBOX Live for the 360 will remain 'strong' after the 720 launches at the end of the year?
This is unlike the last generation (timely, the XBOX is 8 years old soon), at this stage anyway, you can't make a comparison when no price or specs exists - the latest rumors point to a possible subscription model for the next gen XBOX console.

As to the sales of the Wii U, that's standard for any new console as it establishes itself - how long did it take for the PS3 to actually sell? Remember the joke, the PS3 has no games? A person in this thread also didn't buy an XBOX360 until 7 years into its life cycle (like a lot of consumers as the RRP bottomed out), so I'm not worried about the WiiU having slow uptake.

If anything buying this on WiiU ensures I can enjoy this game for years to come, again the 360 and PS3 versions are really only 18 months propositions. Madden isn't out on WiiU for a few reasons but mostly the market isn't there, they are playing it on XBOX360/PS3 platforms and it only sells in the US - believe it or not, the rest of the world doesn't care and doesn't buy American Football games... FIFA on the other hand...
18 months is way off. The PS2 was still getting games up until a few months back. You have to remember even if we are playing the next gen, the old gen is usually the most popular in places like Indonesia. They're all PS2 players currently, eagerly awaiting the PS3 price drop.

Closing the network/live would be a move not even Sony or Microsoft would be stupid enough to make.

WED99

18 months is way off. The PS2 was still getting games up until a few months back. You have to remember even if we are playing the next gen, the old gen is usually the most popular in places like Indonesia. They're all PS2 players currently, eagerly awaiting the PS3 price drop.

Closing the network/live would be a move not even Sony or Microsoft would be stupid enough to make.

erasure fan1

I don't, thats why I said indication and should. I just don't see Microsoft pulling the plug on live for the 360 that quickly for the same reasons you are giving for the Wii U, slow uptake on the new systems. Why would Microsoft stop taking peoples money? They will force people over to the new platform but I wouldn't bet on that for a 2 to 3 year time frame, at that point who cares about infinity. The rumors point to having both options, just like now. You could buy a 360 for $99 and pay a monthly live fee like a cell phone contract for 2yrs, or just buy it outright and pay for live seperate.

Yea the PS3 didn't sell that well for a long time but at no time did any of the top developers not support it. EAs new frosbite 3 engine won't run on Wii U so 15 new EA games as of now will not release for it. Could that change? Yea but its not looking good right now. I'm sorry but that does worry me. Remember the last time EA didn't support a system? How did that work out for SEGA?

Time will tell if anyone really cares about it in 18 months on any system. I ask you, how can you "ensure" you can enjoy this for years to come on Wii U over the others? What if sales don't pick up, what if more developers don't release their AAA games for it? The Wii U has a lot stacked against it right now so nothing is for sure. If the sales don't justify Disney releasing content they won't. As far as Madden goes see my above statement.

Trust me on this, I want to see Nintendo succeed and I would hate to see them go the way of SEGA. They need some huge killer first party AAA games to come before the new xbox and playstation are released to give it a better chance IMO.

Brer Josh

You have to remember even if we are playing the next gen, the old gen is usually the most popular in places like Indonesia. They're all PS2 players currently, eagerly awaiting the PS3 price drop.

I'm not sure what Indonesia has to do with this discussion. For what it's worth, people in Brazil are playing Genesis/Megadrive games.

Brer Josh

Time will tell if anyone really cares about it in 18 months on any system. I ask you, how can you "ensure" you can enjoy this for years to come on Wii U over the others?

Agree on the first part, shelf life wouldn't be 18 months. But I'll know I can play it longer than on the 360 and PS3 as once the new consoles come out I will be replacing the current ones - so I only have 7 more months of the current gen... Better finish some games.

They need some huge killer first party AAA games to come before the new xbox and playstation are released to give it a better chance IMO.

The slate looks pretty good to me...
New Mario, Watch Dogs, Assassins Creed Black Flag, Smash Brothers, Bayonetta 2, Mariokart, Batman Origins, Zelda and whatever they are bringing to E3.

This will be the last E3 for the XBOX360 and PS3 for title announcements.

erasure fan1

Agree on the first part, shelf life wouldn't be 18 months. But I'll know I can play it longer than on the 360 and PS3 as once the new consoles come out I will be replacing the current ones - so I only have 7 more months of the current gen... Better finish some games.
I guess I am just not getting this. Why would you not be able to play it on 360/PS3? Just because a new system comes out doesn't mean they brick your old one. I still have dreamcast, PS1, master system, N64 and gamecube games I have yet to start and finish along with a ton of others. I have almost every major console that has been released and I have never not continued to play the games after the new system comes out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom