mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney Ignoring Adult Fans at Its Own Peril
John Josephs
Sep 8 2002 4:00PM GMT

STUDIO CITY, CA (Los Angeles Times) -- Here are some things to consider:

Disney's California Adventure is opening a "kiddie area." The Disney Store has converted itself into a haven for kids' toys and costumes. The Disney Channel makes itself solely into a programming venue for kids and teens.

Meanwhile, Tokyo DisneySea, a theme park designed with all ages in mind, is a runaway success. EBay makes a fortune with thousands of Disney products bought and sold by adults every day. "Lilo & Stitch" grosses $150 million, an amount that reflects the film's grown-up wit and humor, not to mention adult admissions.

Not surprisingly, California Adventure is a white elephant that's costing Disney hundreds of millions of dollars. Sales at the Disney Stores are down precipitously.

The witless kid flick "The Country Bears" bombed. And now there's an outcry about the decline of adult programming on the Disney Channel. And rightly so.

Disney executives just don't seem to understand a very basic concept of their own business. Disney is not, and has never been, in the business of kowtowing to kids.

In the last few years, they have been alienating the very audience that loves their products most, and probably contributes the most to Disney's bottom line--adult Disney fans. The ones who spend tens of thousands of dollars on Disney weddings, Disney home furnishings, Disney vacations and even Disney time-shares.

As Eisner & Co. wring their hands over ABC's decline, they are neglecting the core Disney businesses and letting it be run by people who insist that "Disney" equals "kids."

Disney is not a kiddie company. It is in the business of family entertainment. Frank Wells and Jeffrey Katzenberg seemed to understand that in the late '80s and early '90s; the one who apparently does not understand that is the last remaining member of that triumvirate.

Disney seems intent on alienating grown-ups. And they seem to be succeeding.

WDWspider

My thoughts exactly.

And they should consider who has expendable income from the business point of view. We were spending at least $100 a month when the stores carried Adult items, now we spend $$ solely on DVD's, their infant line has seemed to decrease significantly at the stores as well.

dianedisney

I have been expressing those thoughts for the past few years when it started with the Disney Stores discontinuing almost all of the adult clothing line. I was surprised that they actually made a movie of the Country Bears, and more so after they took out the attraction in Disneyland. It seems that Disney is making movie to just make them and not seeing the big picture. Walt built the park to be a "Family" park not a kiddie park. He knew you had to satisfy the whole family concept or it wouldn't work. The Disney Channel has almost totally lost my viewing with the removal of Vault Disney during the late night. I don't know if Disney monitors the different discussion rooms and web site dedicted to their company but they should. Maybe then they would get an idea what the public wants, not what they think it needs. I love Disney; the parks, the merchandise and the television channel and I am disappointed in the direction some have taken. Do Not get me wrong, I will continue to visit the parks and enjoy every minute of it. But as for the Disney Channel...I no longer turn it on, as for the Disney Store (which a visit to the mall was not complete without going in) I no longer visit let alone spend money there. As you said the adults that they are alienating are the ones that grew up as Disney did. I think it is kind of ironic that this is happening. Well.......that is my 10 cents worth of editoral, hope I didn't bore you all too much.

Have a Disney Day :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom