Disney guest chokes girl who was blocking view of fireworks, deputies say

Incomudro

Well you know when parent's were not afraid to actually spank their kids we had a lot better behaved kids than we have with the time out crowd., and my daughter is just like me I would have much rather got a spanking than a lecture, so you know what happened to both of us marathon lecture.

You can't beat a screaming child into behaving.
I'm not saying that there aren't far too many parents out there that don't do anything to stop their children from throwing tantrums, there are.
Arguably, we have a higher percentage of parents now who let their children do whatever they want, vs decades ago.
Regardless...
You don't need to beat kids into behaving, and you certainly can't stop a child who is crying by hitting them.
The very idea makes absolutely no sense.

21stamps

You can't beat a screaming child into behaving.
I'm not saying that there aren't far too many parents out there that don't do anything to stop their children from throwing tantrums, there are.
Arguably, we have a higher percentage of parents now who let their children do whatever they want, vs decades ago.
Regardless...
You don't need to beat kids into behaving, and you certainly can't stop a child who is crying by hitting them.

What's strange is the entitled "my kid is a prince/princess and can do anything they want." And the "My kid is better than yours" mentality is from the same generation who was spanked lol.

I don't think it has anything to do with it though.. I think bad parental actions are just the result of the individual.
Discipline is needed.. discipline doesn't need to equal a spanking.

natatomic

Well you know when parent's were not afraid to actually spank their kids we had a lot better behaved kids than we have with the time out crowd., and my daughter is just like me I would have much rather got a spanking than a lecture, so you know what happened to both of us marathon lecture.

I am not afraid to spank my child, but I also don't have to. A quick Google search will show you that every single study on spanking has shown how counterproductive it is, particularly in the long term. We use timeouts with our three-year-old, and they worked marvelously. I take him to one of the Disney parks at least once a week, usually twice though, we're there for usually 4-5 hours, and I don't bring a stroller, and at no point does he use a screen to keep him occupied. He walks the same 5 miles I walk and waits in the same lines I wait (granted, if we didn't come as often, I'm sure I would need to utilize a stroller since he wouldn't be used to walking such long distances). No meltdowns from him. The one time he misbehaved that required more than just a time out - he was cutting in line for the slide at the boneyard, though he was two and was still having a hard time understanding the concept of taking turns - I first explained not to cut in line since he probably didn't understand that that was a rule, and then I put him in timeout when he did it a second time and warned him that a third offense* would result in us going straight home. When that third offense happened, home we went. Guess who is one of the few 3 year olds (heck, one of the few kids in general!) who knows how to wait his turn even when other kids don't? My kid, and I never had to put a finger on him to get him that way.

* he only got that many chances because it was the first time he had ever been playing on his own without me standing next to him, so he needed opportunity to correct his mistakes. Now when we go, cutting in line means immediate time out, then second offense means we leave.

Last edited:

larandtra

I think we have gotten way off topic to a social discussion. Regardless of the cause, I think most people who visit the World regularly, would agree that the "behavior" of people in general, not just kids, has gotten out of hand. Blame the parks, blame the bad parents, blame whatever may be the root cause for each individual, it is pretty evident. Several CMs we have spoken to have voiced the same observations. It is not just at the World, it is all over. But, when you put that many people in one place, things are bound to happen.
Sometimes it is pure misunderstanding. I observed a young lady with a service dog, obviously training as the dog had the harness and smock, a very pretty golden sitting just outside of the Merida M&G. Another woman came along with a Pomeranian, little dog, unmarked with the typical harness and smock, and proceeded to sit down a short distance away. The young lady with the Golden got upset saying that was not a service dog and she had no right to have them in the park. If she had known or asked, rather than saying loudly thats not a service dog and storming off angrily for no reason, she would know Pom-therapy IS indeed a valid service dog therapy. The dog is used to assist Diabetics, depressive personalities (anxiety), among many other things. Sometimes being ignorant and just reacting is easier than doing some homework or politely asking. Not every service dog is a Golden, Shepherd, Poodle etc.
On the flip side I will make one comment about the viewing of Once Upon a Time and Wishes. If you are in the Hub area directly between the statue and the castle, it slopes. If everyone there remains sitting, the view is amazing and even kids can see. MOST of the time I have noticed people in this area do remain seated, even though the hard cement can be a pain on the rear. But, in that specific area, being seated makes the most sense. In others, I am not so sure and standing tends to be the preference.

Tom P.

Spankings work. Timeouts don't. And anyone or any study who says otherwise is wrong.

Or... wait... was it the other way around? Timeouts work. Spanking doesn't. Anyone or any study who says otherwise is wrong.

Well, whichever way it is, if you don't agree, you deserve a spanking or a timeout.

I'm sticking to this opinion. So there.

Otterhead

Well, whichever way it is, if you don't agree, you deserve a spanking or a timeout.
When I was a kid, I was given long, stern lectures. They worked. Spankings wouldn't have.

When my boyfriend was a kid, he was given spankings and beatings. They worked. Lectures wouldn't have.

There's no rule for parenting that's true for every kid everywhere. It's really up to every parent to be the best parent they can be. Making assumptions that parents that govern their kids differently than you think they should is silly.

To you.

Laketravis

One thing is for sure - whether this woman actually choked a kid because that kid was blocking her view of fireworks or not, she'll never be able to comfortably Google herself for the rest of her life.

Which raises an interesting question - what if she's found innocent? The internet has already convicted her.

Incomudro

When I was a kid, I was given long, stern lectures. They worked. Spankings wouldn't have.

When my boyfriend was a kid, he was given spankings and beatings. They worked. Lectures wouldn't have.

There's no rule for parenting that's true for every kid everywhere. It's really up to every parent to be the best parent they can be. Making assumptions that parents that govern their kids differently than you think they should is silly.

To you.
No, not just to me - logically.
What sense does it possibly make that beating a crying child will make it stop?
Where's the logic in this?
Please enlighten me.

Otterhead

Some parents use intimidation to stop their children from crying. The fear of a beating/spanking may stop them from crying.

I don't condone this or think it's healthy for a child's upbringing. But that's the logic. And for some parents, it works.

21stamps

Where's the logic in this?
Please enlighten me.

When I was a kid my dad had a belt. Not just any belt.. "The Belt". I was threatened with it several times.
Especially when me and my brother would fight. One time we broke a window while fighting.. my dad picked us up..strongly, and forcibly put each of us in a chair. We had to sit there for x amount of time.. can't remember how long. We were not allowed to cry. We had to "think about what we did". This was common, the chair part, not the window breaking. If we moved or spoke then we knew "The Belt" would come out. It actually worked.lol. But, the point of "the chair" was to of course punish us.. but also to calm us down, think about what we did, give more of an explanation than "I'm sorry" afterwards.. we had to explain why we were wrong...and then we usually got a list of things we were grounded from even after the apologies.lol.,but, we never saw The Belt- we were too afraid to disobey once that was brought up.

We used to go in my father's closet and look through all of his suit belts trying to figure out which one it was. We had a brilliant plan to steal it. He caught us one day and said it was in a locked box. We spent many more afternoons searching for the box., never found it. But we were scared nonetheless. Without physically harming us.

That said, I did get spanked once- on the way back from Disney actually. We were driving on the highway, my brother and I were hitting each other with these giant Pixie Stix.. (not sure if anyone remembers those).. anyway, we went from teasing to my brother whacking me in the head.. I went to return the favor, and I hit my father, who was driving the car, instead.. he pulled on the side of the road and spanked both of us. I was probably 7 or 8 and will never forget it.

We laugh about it now sometimes.. I say it's my parent's fault for giving us giant tubes of sugar while on a long drive ;).

Pixie VaVoom

I believe there are limits: encompassing age - like if your kid doesn't know who the boss is by about age 3-4...you are screwed -( My opinion only), Anatomy - the padded 'seat of the problem' should be your target, no slapping, ear boxing, pinching or striking with foreign implements, and also limits on intensity - NO DAMAGE !! curb the behavior - don't crush the spirit... too intense will also damage the relationship...permanently. I am an example of that.
That said, I am childless, but my husband and I debate this a lot and I have often declared that I am more than willing to go to prison for what I believe in. Occasionally I was just a little hellion and I needed a 'pop' on the seat !! I wasn't going to be curbed otherwise, from my playing with matches, throwing rocks at windows just to see how hard they were, sticking bobby pins into the perfect little holes of electrical outlets - I would NEVER have made it to my 54 years that I have attained!!
I also believe in POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT. I have nannied for 25 years and my kids behaved better for me than for their birth Parents. I never lifted a finger to them that wasn't a pat or a hug. Say what you mean and do what you say you are going to do !!! Ex: John did his trombone practice - he gets a token, or a sticker star, or one single lego block from a kit. Kids who bath or go to bed with no fuss - get a small (10-50 cent) prize by their breakfast plate, sometimes, not always. Prizes are special, like bonuses at a grown-ups job.
FLAME ON - This is my opinion and I realize it is not going to be popular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom