Disney food blog has a review of the new Club 33

durangojim

Original Poster
know it's a little off topic but some still might be interested. Though I was never fortunate enough to dine there, when comparing the old and new pics I think I much preferred the look (and probably the feel) of the old club. The new seems to be missing something exclusive and "special" in that it looks new and seems to be missing history. Obviously this is just my opinion but I'm curious what others think.

sweetpee_1993

Haven't seen many pics but did look at the Disney Food Blog. I, too, think the secretive specialness is lost to some degree. But then the club purpose isn't what it used to be either. Things change. I've seen exterior pics where the tarps have come down. Aside from the unfinished spots (why take the tarps down before it's finished???), the architectural story is inconsistent and disrupted. Notafan. I've spent a lot of time in NOLA. What they did to New Orleans Square is a bit perplexing. From the pics I saw prior to our 1 & only trip I thought the old NOS was great and I itched to see it myself someday.

I'm disappointed the old elevator lift was transformed into salon seating. That feels wrong on a few levels.

I think taking the Court of Angels from the park proper to give to just the Club members sends a distasteful message.

And Monkey Bread? Seriously? Monkey Bread??? Granted, we have a family recipe for that dish and as a result I would neeeeever order it in a restaurant. But still. Monkey Bread?!?! I'd expect something a little more upscale, complex, and/or sophisticated for such a supposedly "special" locale.

I used to think eating at Club 33 would be pretty awesome. Eh, I can leave it now. I'm good. I promise their Monkey Bread won't touch my Gramma's recipe still warm out of the oven. ;)

JIMINYCR

Hmmmm.. With a waiting list of 14+ years for new applicants, an initial $25000 membership fee, followed by a $10,000 yearly membership fee :greedy:..... guess it doesnt matter what I think. I'll never get to experience the inside of Club 33. :arghh:

seahawk7

Can someone please explain to me when Club 33 came about. It has always put me off a little seeing its members lingering on the balcony. Did Walt care for it or was it after his time?

sweetpee_1993

Hmmmm.. With a waiting list of 14+ years for new applicants, an initial $25000 membership fee, followed by a $10,000 yearly membership fee :greedy:..... guess it doesnt matter what I think. I'll never get to experience the inside of Club 33. :arghh:
It's more annually if the member wants access to 1901 in DCA.

sweetpee_1993

Can someone please explain to me when Club 33 came about. It has always put me off a little seeing its members lingering on the balcony. Did Walt care for it or was it after his time?
Others will give a more concise history. Mid to late 60s. Opened like 5 months after a Walt passed. He wanted a place to entertain corporate sponsors, I believe. He was inspired by corporate lounges at the NY Worlds Fair. He was very much involved in it's creation and design. I could see it having a purpose or function once upon a time. Now it seems more like a status symbol or collectible to hardcore fans who can manage it. Disney seems to treat it like a cash cow nowadays from what I see. That kinda overshadows the cool factor for me. I've met a couple who are members. Nice folks. Not independently wealthy or whatever. The events that the club puts on sound extremely cool. But, just like a meal in the club, members still have to pay for that as they go. So it's initiation bucks + annual dues + cost for meals! drinks! or special events.

seahawk7

Others will give a more concise history. Mid to late 60s. Opened like 5 months after a Walt passed. He wanted a place to entertain corporate sponsors, I believe. He was inspired by corporate lounges at the NY Worlds Fair. He was very much involved in it's creation and design. I could see it having a purpose or function once upon a time. Now it seems more like a status symbol or collectible to hardcore fans who can manage it. Disney seems to treat it like a cash cow nowadays from what I see. That kinda overshadows the cool factor for me. I've met a couple who are members. Nice folks. Not independently wealthy or whatever. The events that the club puts on sound extremely cool. But, just like a meal in the club, members still have to pay for that as they go. So it's initiation bucks + annual dues + cost for meals! drinks! or special events.
Thanks!

stevehousse

I thought he was still alive when it was up and running and would hold parties and dinners for celebrities, friends, and corp execs...and even if he wasn't personally attending, he would listen in on the conversations through a microphone hidden inside the chandelier over the huge table? I swear I watched this on a tv special somewhere???

JIMINYCR

From Snopes Club 33 myths : Despite lingering rumors, the Trophy Room no longer houses (functional) hidden microphones and speakers, although they were indeed installed when the club was built. Their planned function was not to allow Walt Disney (or the Club 33staff) to eavesdrop on guests' conversations — to do so would have meant that Walt and/or the staff would have had to spend their evenings sitting in the tiny audio control booth adjacent to the Trophy Room. The primary intent of the speaker/microphone system was to allow Wally Boag (star of Disneyland's "Golden Horseshoe Revue" for many years) to entertain Walt's club guests on special occasions by conversing with them through the mechanism of an audio-animatronic bird. The Trophy Room was also wired to support a variety of other audio-animatronic animals (such as raccoons), but these plans were never implemented.

Polydweller

I thought he was still alive when it was up and running and would hold parties and dinners for celebrities, friends, and corp execs...and even if he wasn't personally attending, he would listen in on the conversations through a microphone hidden inside the chandelier over the huge table? I swear I watched this on a tv special somewhere???
Nope, he did plan the club but it opened in 1967 after he died.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom