Disney Eyes 'Star Wars' Park Attractions Amid Buzz

DisneyDebRob

I'm super excited for Star Wars around the whole Disney chain, but the fervor for Star Wars isn't going anywhere. It's not some "in the moment" thing that Disney needs to capitalize on right now, like Frozen or Avatar. Has anyone bothered to listen to WDI/Iger's official statements on the new Star Wars stuff being installed in the parks? They've already stated quite clearly that it's not going to be a quick process-
It's going to take a long time because they want to get it right, much like the first Potterland took 8 years from start to finish - not counting the fact that the ride system for Forbidden Journey was already in place from a previously cancelled attraction a year prior to that (and Diagon Alley took 6 years)
They're anxious to get filming and sets rolling for Episodes 8 & 9 in order to incorporate those into the land from day one
Not to mention that their lead project manager was only brought in this time last year. Disney is making this a slow process deliberately in all phases- it's not some "sharp pencil boy" mentality.

Those are really the only statements that are relevant, and it's why it's taking forever. Doesn't it seem the least bit foolish to expect Disney to fast-track Star Wars when EPCOT is getting a new attraction next year, Animal Kingdom is being transformed into a full day park, Magic Kingdom is finishing a huge scale over haul and Disney Springs is being doubled in size? I mean honestly, that's plenty to hold them over for the next half decade, which will be just in time for Star Wars to pick up the slack once those projects are finished.

Walt Disney World is a place that most families will visit every few years IF THEY'RE LUCKY. Opening new attractions every single year doesn't change that. When Star Wars opens, it'll draw the same sorts of people that inundated Universal for Harry Potter. For now, they'll just have to put up with being the most visited resort on earth with the second highest margins of any parks on earth and continuous growth in attendance and per caps. As someone previously mentioned: I wish I could run a business that took care of itself like that! ;)
Can I get a sip of some of that?:cool:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I'm super excited for Star Wars around the whole Disney chain, but the fervor for Star Wars isn't going anywhere. It's not some "in the moment" thing that Disney needs to capitalize on right now, like Frozen or Avatar. Has anyone bothered to listen to WDI/Iger's official statements on the new Star Wars stuff being installed in the parks? They've already stated quite clearly that it's not going to be a quick process-
It's going to take a long time because they want to get it right, much like the first Potterland took 8 years from start to finish - not counting the fact that the ride system for Forbidden Journey was already in place from a previously cancelled attraction a year prior to that (and Diagon Alley took 6 years)
They're anxious to get filming and sets rolling for Episodes 8 & 9 in order to incorporate those into the land from day one
Not to mention that their lead project manager was only brought in this time last year. Disney is making this a slow process deliberately in all phases- it's not some "sharp pencil boy" mentality.

Those are really the only statements that are relevant, and it's why it's taking forever. Doesn't it seem the least bit foolish to expect Disney to fast-track Star Wars when EPCOT is getting a new attraction next year, Animal Kingdom is being transformed into a full day park, Magic Kingdom is finishing a huge scale over haul and Disney Springs is being doubled in size? I mean honestly, that's plenty to hold them over for the next half decade, which will be just in time for Star Wars to pick up the slack once those projects are finished.

Walt Disney World is a place that most families will visit every few years IF THEY'RE LUCKY. Opening new attractions every single year doesn't change that. When Star Wars opens, it'll draw the same sorts of people that inundated Universal for Harry Potter. For now, they'll just have to put up with being the most visited resort on earth with the second highest margins of any parks on earth and continuous growth in attendance and per caps. As someone previously mentioned: I wish I could run a business that took care of itself like that! ;)
Actually, they haven't stated anything "clearly"....

Clarity regarding how big and how long this project will be-

Bob Iger on star wars in the parks:
“A fair amount of design and development (taking place by the company’s Imagineers) to greatly increase ‘Star Wars” presence in multiple locations around the world.”

“The plans are ambitious, so it’s going to take some time for them to be built and opened.”

“We couldn’t tell (Disney Imagineering) what was new; I slowed it all down so what we come forward with will have a blend of the past, present and maybe the future; now we have a sense of what’s in Star Wars 8 and what some of the standalone films will have in them.”

These PUBLIC quotes are pretty easy to find that this point (not to mention plenty of accurate chatter on the matter that seems to elude most people).

If they follow Potter's timeline, those 8 years beginning in Oct 2012 will be up in Oct 2020 (news flash, it'll be here by then and not much sooner - no amount of clamoring or berating is going to get it fast tracked, since it's totally unnecessary).

HauntedMansionFLA

Just the usual meaningless platitudes from Iger. Just enough to keep those investors on the edge of their seats while Disney sits back and does nothing.

Funny, you'd never know it from the way Disney has responded. It's been a good two years since Iger began hinting about Star Wars stuff at the parks, and over 2.5 years since Disney bought LucasFilm. Yet nary a piece of concept art or detail to be found.

The only thing that's been "overwhelming" is Iger's lack of vision in getting Star Wars into the parks.
Just the orange harvest crates at D23

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
They CLEARLY stated that it was going to take some time, and that they are waiting to nail down elements in the future films so that they can be incorporated into the lands.

These PUBLIC quotes are pretty easy to find that this point (not to mention plenty of accurate chatter on the matter that seems to elude most people).

Bob Iger on star wars:
“A fair amount of design and development (taking place by the company’s Imagineers) to greatly increase ‘Star Wars” presence in multiple locations around the world.”

“The plans are ambitious, so it’s going to take some time for them to be built and opened.”

“We couldn’t tell (Disney Imagineering) what was new; I slowed it all down so what we come forward with will have a blend of the past, present and maybe the future; now we have a sense of what’s in Star Wars 8 and what some of the standalone films will have in them.”

If they follow Potter's timeline, those 8 years beginning in Oct 2012 will be up in Oct 2020 (news flash, it'll be there by then and not much sooner).
And he's also been saying there would be a "substantial" (or an equivalent adjective) presence of SW in the parks for the past several investor calls. But I'm sure you knew that already....

And there will be, what's your point? Did Universal start shoving Potter into the parks when the deal was signed in 2004? Did Universal not trumpet that deal for 40 months years before a bulldozer moved on the project? And that was for a ready-to-go ride system that just needed an overlay. Besides Forbidden Journey itself, the rest was shops and restaurants and the time they needed to destroy my Dragons queue and it still took them 6 years from the announcement and 3 to build it.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And there will be, what's your point? Did Universal start shoving Potter into the parks when the deal was signed in 2004? Did Universal not trumpet that deal for 40 months years before a bulldozer moved on the project? And that was for a ready-to-go ride system that just needed an overlay.
That saying Iger, or any plans for SW in the parks, has been "clear" is misleading at best. But you knew that already....

HauntedMansionFLA

Just the orange harvest crates at D23
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
The problem with businesses that "take care of themselves" is that management often doesn't realize when they are about to stop taking care of themselves.
I am sure there are a lot of examples of businesses that have run into trouble because they thought that had an un-touchable market position. Not saying this is going to happen to Disney parks anytime soon, but it's definitely something you have to be careful of.

I can think of several, starting with Kodak, Polaroid, Blackberry, Blockbuster, Atari, Motorola, Nokia, Xerox, Radio Shack, etc. There's a long list, and the reasons for their failure can all be attributed in some way to their inability to quickly adapt in a changing marketplace. I agree with you in saying that Disney parks are probably safe for the time being, but who knows what tomorrow may bring. Point being, the market is constantly evolving, competitors are continually looking for something that will give them an advantage, and if you take too long to recognize this, you could end up like many others.

CaptainAmerica

Well that's a pretty disingenuous comment. What people are furious about is its location in World Showcase. Had they built it in the MK or Studios there would not have been such a reaction.
It's not disingenuous. People are not just furious about the location in World Showcase. They've also been complaining about Disney's rush to capitalize on the hot thing of the moment without focusing on their "timeless classics."

That saying Iger, or any plans for SW in the parks, has been "clear" is misleading at best. But you knew that already....

What I said, verbatim:
They've already stated quite clearly that it's not going to be a quick process-

Where's the misleading part?

DisneyparkFreak

I'm not visiting WDW in 2015, the first year in over a decade that I can say that. Part of my reasoning is that there's nothing new to see in the parks (only some new shops/restaurants in Disney Springs). My plan was to visit in 2016 when something new was open, but now I'm wondering what, if anything, will be new in 2016. Like most of you, I was drunk on Disney Kool-aid for many years but I started questioning the value for my dollar after a truly mediocre trip last year - a sad development to be sure. :(

So I agree wholeheartedly. The only reason they aren't already in big trouble is because of the brand loyalty they worked so hard to build from 1971-2009 or so (a time I enjoyed tremendously). But soon others will start to question their Disney loyalty like I did.

No doubt, we did our honeymoon in 2004 and have been back every year since with the exception of the year my wife was pregnant. Last year really opened my eyes. 2015 will be the 2nd year in 11 that we are not going. We want to go back in 2016 but we're not too sure on that. You're right when it comes to value.

DisneyparkFreak

I think some of the issue is that they know how popular the SW brand is. If they didn't they wouldn't have paid George so much for it. They have/or will earn all that back plus more with Ep.7. They also understand that they don't need to move fast because its a lasting franchise. You may be upset that StarWars land isn't bui;t, but you'll be a giddy as a schoolgirl when it opens in 2020 and quickly forgive them.

COrunner

My pennies,

I think a large Star Wars land would be a great addition to WDW. As a large company I give them the benefit of the doubt that they can't just proclaim 'It will be here and have all of this!' there are permits, space, budgets, etc. It's this logic which is why I think the Avatar land being built is that long plan being implemented. Had Disney owned the Star Wars IP prior to an avatar land I would think there would not have been an avatar land.

But the speed or lack there of isn't why people are mad about how quickly a Frozen ride is being built in Norway. It is the idea that Disney can create new media or use existing IP then modify the park experience based on that new media. To borrow from Star Wars, it's Han no longer shooting first. There was outcry when after the PoTC films took off that Johnny Depp was inserted and the ride plot changed. People get concerned when 'timeless' rides or experiences are changed.

People just don't like thinking that if Tomorrowland the film takes off that George Clooney will become the central point of the people mover or if Tim Burton reboots Winnie the Pooh to be set in a post apocalyptic claymation hellscape that the ride will change to fit that.

doctornick

I'm not visiting WDW in 2015, the first year in over a decade that I can say that. Part of my reasoning is that there's nothing new to see in the parks (only some new shops/restaurants in Disney Springs). My plan was to visit in 2016 when something new was open, but now I'm wondering what, if anything, will be new in 2016.

In 2016.... Rivers of Light, the nighttime safaris, possibly a new Soarin' film, possibly some version of Toy Story Playland.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
What I said, verbatim:
They've already stated quite clearly that it's not going to be a quick process-

Where's the misleading part?
That anything had been stated "clearly," as I first responded. Everything since then has been pretty much your opinion and conjecture. But you already knew that....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom