Disney during Independence Day

ajkraz

Original Poster
My family and I are going on our annual trip during the first week of July and I was curious with some of the usual questions
How busy are the parks?
How hot is it?
Anything special that we should go do or see in terms of the fourth?
And is anyone else going? More specifically is anyone staying at the Grand Floridian during that time?

Thanks!

Jahona

How busy are the parks?
Expect them to be busy, you're right in the middle of peak summer vacation. But both times I've been in the past it's been fairly manageable.

How hot is it?
Hot and humid. It will be in the mid 90s most likely during your stay. Remember to stay hydrated. You can stop at any quick service location and get a cup of water.

In the past on July 3rd and 4th the Magic Kingdom has a special fireworks display "Celebrate America"
On July 4th EPCOT does a variety of things during the day and ends with a special tag version of Illuminations Reflection of Earth.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
My family and I are going on our annual trip during the first week of July and I was curious with some of the usual questions
How busy are the parks?
How hot is it?
And is anyone else going? More specifically is anyone staying at the Grand Floridian during that time?

Thanks!

@Jahona is pretty much spot on with the comments above. We have done the 4th of July for three of the last four summers and will be back again this summer. It is very hot - but if you have ever been in late July or August, it isn't quite as bad as that. The parks will be very busy, but good planning makes it not too bad.

We have a pretty set routine that we are in of doing Magic Kingdom on July 3rd (they do the full 4th of July fireworks on the 3rd) and then go to Epcot on July 4th. Both will be quite crowded, but Magic Kingdom on the 4th is pretty insane, so we avoid it! Definitely a time of year to do mornings and evenings and get out of the parks in the afternoon - besides the crazy heat, the thunderstorms are pretty regular.

Since things are pretty crowded, we tend to do early morning in the park, with all three FP+ booked for 11am, 12pm, 1pm. We get out of the park right after hitting that 1pm FP+ and we try to book FP+ for the evening while heading out. Usually have dinner reservations somewhere and that's when we get back into the parks followed by some evening touring and then fireworks (or show). We are really looking forward to more evening time at Animal Kingdom this year!

We will be there July 2nd through July 12th on a split DVC stay = at Poly for 2 nights, Old Key West for 8 nights, and Wilderness Lodge for the last 2 nights.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the week of the 4th - obviously we love it and keep going back.

Disney4family

We did it once. The days prior to the 4th were manageable. The day of the 4th was impossible. It honestly was on par with when we were there 2 days before Christmas for another trip. Most schools up north are finished the end of June and everyone seems to head down to WDW. It's the definition of packed.
We spent the 4th in the Magic Kingdom. CMs were handing out little American flag pins to all who entered. Nice touch (of course)!
The fireworks were wonderful - they were our first 360 fireworks there.

BigRedDad

It is going to be slam packed. It is the next busy time with XMas/NYE being the busiest. As for heat....
latest

Jahona

One of the things I did was staking a viewing spot for what ever fireworks show you want to see early. That was my main draw for the day and I was able to get a great seat for IROE.

Phonedave

How busy are the parks?

Very. You are in peak time. It's not like you cant move, but wait times do go up, and dining is harder to get.

How hot is it?

It Florida in the summer - it's hot. I have seen it 80's, I have seen it high 90's - it depends on the weather. It WILL be humid however, and it will most likely rain every afternoon (wait it out in the parks, most summer storms in FL are short)

People have already told you about the fireworks at MK and EPCOT

We will be leaving on June 30 (and staying at BWV anyway). However, the MK fireworks on the 3rd and 4th are all around the perimiter as well.. During these shows they shut down the roads around MK, including the roads to the GF. You will not be able to get in or our of GF during the show times, so plan accordingly. The GF does play the audio for the MK fireworks on the speakers at their boat dock, so you can go down to the boat dock and watch them there if you want. However, everbody in central Florida who does not want to go INTO MK also has the same idea. It's nowhere near as packed as MK will be, but it will be a lot of people. Any Disney Springs busses out of GF after the fireworks will be packed to the gills. Last year we ate at Narcosses and then walked down and watched the fireworks on the 4th. Again, a good number of people, but nothing crazy. We were staying at OKW that time, and instead of waiting for a DS bus that we could actually get on (they were comming in packed from the previous stop at the Poly) we went AK and transfered to an OKW bus there. Much faster. Of course, you will be able to walk to your room, if thats what you want to do.

-dave

ajkraz

Original Poster
Ok thanks for the advice guys! Our gameplan is to either swim or go to the other hotels or spend a little time at the park before dinner and then go to the parks from 5-closing so that we can try and avoid the massive crowds and extreme heat

Phonedave

Ok thanks for the advice guys! Our gameplan is to either swim or go to the other hotels or spend a little time at the park before dinner and then go to the parks from 5-closing so that we can try and avoid the massive crowds and extreme heat

Is this your plan on the 3rd and/or 4th? Be aware on the 3rd and especially on the 4th there is a good change of MK hitting capacity closure stages.

-dave

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've done the 4th once. We Lasted an hour in the MK before we had to bail to Epcot.

We kept our spot for 5 hours before IllumiNations. Nowerdays it's not uncommon for people to stake a spot from 9am.

In short, it's a madhouse normally on the 4th.

Thecorsi4

How busy are the parks?
How hot is it?

Thanks!
We are going to be there at that time also, Our plan is to have the 4th be a resort day and 1900 park fair for dinner then hang out and watch the fireworks form there and not have to fight the MK crowds.

Good luck with the planning!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Three words - Brazilian Tour Groups.

Not a time to visit for the faint of heart. Insane crowds, especially at the MK on the 4th. And hot, as in Hades hot.

But if crowds and heat don't bother you, it's a blast being in MK on our nation's birthday. Hope they still hand out little flag pins as you enter.

ajkraz

Original Poster
Is this your plan on the 3rd and/or 4th? Be aware on the 3rd and especially on the 4th there is a good change of MK hitting capacity closure stages.

-dave
Our first day of our trip is the 2nd so we might end up spending the 3rd at Hollywood Studios and the 4th going around and looking at the Hotels and then watching the fireworks from our hotel, the Grand Floridian

ajkraz

Original Poster
We are going to be there at that time also, Our plan is to have the 4th be a resort day and 1900 park fair for dinner then hang out and watch the fireworks form there and not have to fight the MK crowds.

Good luck with the planning!
Great idea, like I said above, we're going to spend the day swimming/walking around resorts. If you want to watch fireworks, I'd recommend going to the TTC and taking the monorail to the Polynesian and sitting on the beach and watching fireworks, it's a little crowded but it's something you'll never forget

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Our first day of our trip is the 2nd so we might end up spending the 3rd at Hollywood Studios and the 4th going around and looking at the Hotels and then watching the fireworks from our hotel, the Grand Floridian

I was going to suggest making an ADR for dinner at the GF Cafe on the 4th so you could watch the fireworks from the marina....but you're staying there. The 4th fireworks are the 360 degree ones and also done on the 3rd, at least they were when I visited in 2014.

Seanual757

This will be our 4th year staying @ Disney during the July 4th holiday we really enjoy it. As a 1st timmer please be aware so you do not feel your vacation will be ruined or let down.

We normally spend the majority of our time at the pool and Water Parks (Water parks we go early)

1. It’s HOT high 90’s and high humidity
  2. BUSY, yes the MK is normally always at capacity plus tiered closings. I suggest if you want to do the MK of 7/2 & 7/3 if you do it on the 4th go early in the morning. We have been stuck on main street for 30 min just to get up to where we can veer off and hear to Adventure land.
  3. Make sure you select FP’s and stick to them and get out once you are done (Especially MK)
  4. Expect longer than usual lines for everything
  5. Reservations are a must Early in advance for Character dining as well as any restaurants on the monorail line (due to the Independence Day Fire Works celebration)
  6. Independence Day Fireworks are on BOTH July 3 & 4’th I suggest seeing them on the 3rd a little less crowds.
  7. Expect Rain anytime “it’s Florida
  8. Expect AK to be busier than normal because of Avatar being open.
Most of all have fun enjoy the July 4th holiday we will be staying @ AKL (DVC) for 4 days and enjoying the Moonlight magic @ Typhoon lagoon on 7/5

Last edited:

disney4life2008

I have went to the mk on the 4th which is also my birthday the last few years. It is hades hot, imagine stepping outside and instantly you are sweating. Drink lots of water and take breaks. If you plan accordingly you can have an enjoyable day but know it will be packed. The key is arriving early and going against the grain.

ajkraz

Original Poster
This will be our 4th year staying @ Disney during the July 4th holiday we really enjoy it. As a 1st times please be aware so you do not feel your vacation will be ruined or let down.

We normally spend the majority of our time at the pool and Water Parks (Water parks we go early)

1. It’s HOT high 90’s and high humidity
  2. BUSY, yes the MK is normally always at capacity plus tiered closings. I suggest if you want to do the MK of 7/2 & 7/3 if you do it on the 4th go early in the morning. We have been stick on main street for 30 min just to get up to where we can veer off and hear to Adventure land.
  3. Make sure you select FP’s and stick to them and get out once you are done (Especially MK)
  4. Expect longer than usual lines for everything
  5. Reservations are a must Early in advance for Character dining as well as any restaurants on the monorail line (due to the Independence Day Fire Works celebration)
  6. Independence Day Fireworks are on BOTH July 3 & 4’th I suggest seeing them on the 3rd a little less crowds.
  7. Expect Rain anytime “it’s Florida
  8. Expect AK to be busier than normal because of Avatar being open.
Most of all have fun enjoy the July 4th holiday we will be staying @ AKL (DVC) for 4 days and enjoying the Moonlight magic @ Typhoon lagoon on 7/5
Ok cool thanks for the info! We've been to WDW in June and August before but never in July so it's good not to be so surprised. Also maybe I'll see you at Typhoon Lagoon :)

Seanual757

Ok cool thanks for the info! We've been to WDW in June and August before but never in July so it's good not to be so surprised. Also maybe I'll see you at Typhoon Lagoon :)

excellent enjoy your stay maybe it's a fun event we did 2 events at typhoon lagoon last year it was fun.

cyanaye

went this week three years ago. magic kingdom hit peak capacity most nights, especially july 4th. we missed fireworks because of it.

it was hot but also very rainy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom