Disney Cruise Line?

Jakester

Original Poster
Hello WDWMAGIC community. I'm currently a WDW Part Time Cast Member who is currently looking for a full time roll. Recently I've started to think about the possibilities of transferring over to Disney Cruise Line from Walt Disney World. I just have a few questions regarding the transfer from folks who have experience with DCL.
1. What's the pay like? Does Disney do hourly pay or more like piecework pay?
2. What were the hours on the ship like?
3. How were your days off? Is it like you work nonstop for X days and get X days off?

I've done research online to get an idea and on the DCL Jobs website to see if they offer any additional info. I've been with WDW for A Year and a Half already.
Any insight and input regarding Disney Cruise Line employment would help out a lot before going down to WDW Casting to talk with them.

Cesar R M

Hello WDWMAGIC community. I'm currently a WDW Part Time Cast Member who is currently looking for a full time roll. Recently I've started to think about the possibilities of transferring over to Disney Cruise Line from Walt Disney World. I just have a few questions regarding the transfer from folks who have experience with DCL.
1. What's the pay like? Does Disney do hourly pay or more like piecework pay?
2. What were the hours on the ship like?
3. How were your days off? Is it like you work nonstop for X days and get X days off?

I've done research online to get an idea and on the DCL Jobs website to see if they offer any additional info. I've been with WDW for A Year and a Half already.
Any insight and input regarding Disney Cruise Line employment would help out a lot before going down to WDW Casting to talk with them.
I honestly have no experience in any way other than getting a DCL trip recently, but I asked questions.

As far I know:

a) They get paid fixed by contract in most cases. Stateroom hosts and waiters usually have very low payrates but they get most pure tip profit.
b) and c) DCL crew DO NOT GET DAYS OFF.
they work full time up to 14 hours A DAY with no day off until the contract expires.. then they get approximately 2 weeks to 4 weeks vacations.
contracts usually go from 4 months to 9 months usually (depending on positions)

I think you could ask those with more experience like @Disneyfalcon

Disneyfalcon

I'm sorry, I don't know much about actually working for the cruise line! There was a great article on another site (that I may not be able to link here) from someone who worked onboard one of the ships for 6 months. You may be able to find it if you google. It was several years ago, but probably hasn't changed a great deal.

I remember she said she worked very hard, but overall it was a great experience!

DisneyJoe

a) They get paid fixed by contract in most cases. Stateroom hosts and waiters usually have very low payrates but they get most pure tip profit.
b) and c) DCL crew DO NOT GET DAYS OFF.
they work full time up to 14 hours A DAY with no day off until the contract expires.. then they get approximately 2 weeks to 4 weeks vacations.
contracts usually go from 4 months to 9 months usually (depending on positions)

I heard that while they don't get any days off during the contract, they will get some hours off during a day, but this depends greatly on their role.

EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE, works many hours on the day when the ship comes into port and they turn the ship over for the next sailing.

As far as contracts go, they can go from 4 months to 9 months as you said, but they can also get a break in between of a few months; i.e. 6 month contract, 3 month break, followed by another 6 month contract - IF they wanted to do that. Most will not want such long breaks in between contracts.

A friend's nephew worked for a major cruise line in the theatrical department on the ship and he was happy to take the 3 months off after a 6 month contract. He said it was the hardest he had every worked in his life.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom