Disney Crafting...

sprocketfish

Original Poster
I know there is a scrapbooking thread (which is really cool btw), but I didn't see any other threads about just disney crafting in general... so... here goes... these are a few of my recent disney related craft projects... I hope someone enjoys them...

...I crocheted this scarf in preparation for my last trip in Dec. 2006; I made-up the pattern, so if any other hookers want it just let me know and I can figure it out again...
IMG_3418.jpg

IMG_3417.jpg

...the next few are some DIY paint by numbers I made based on some of my favorite pins... I just used a copy machine, carbon paper, canvas, paint and patience...

IMG_3421.jpg

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3419.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

IMG_3423.jpg

...as a humble graduate student I can't afford much so I usually just make it instead... I'm sure someone here can use these ideas and make them much better... anyway that's all the disney related crafts that I still have (most of them become gifts)... maybe I will post some of the projects I am currently working on once there finished... thanks to anyone with the patience to sit through this long post...

sprocketfish

Original Poster
The mickey scarf is crocheted... I made the pattern up and I forgot to write it down.... if you want it I can figure it out again...

SewIn2Disney

Oh god don't even get me started! Aside from Disney scrapbooking, Disney seems to make its way into everything I do. I just graduated college with a degree in art, and my teachers were wholly against Disney, so I made up my mind to put a hidden mickey into every single thing I did....only one time did it get caught. But, I do have a lot of Disney intentional projects....I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Here's a few things that I have pictures handy of:
A batik I made loosley based on the Tiki Birds logo

(logo: http://www.dldhistory.com/disneyland/att/poster/tms-450.jpg)

A quilt I made for an advanced printmaking class. I hand carved a wood block into the middle tiki totem pole (once again based on the first logo) and printed it onto fabric. The little native creatures in the diamonds around the outside are from the Polynesian logo. I also carved them and printed them.

Simple Mickey pillowcase

Princess Pillowcase

More to come...

SewIn2Disney

(yay! I figured out how to post bigger pictures!)

Belle costume (It's hanging funny on the hanger--it actually came out nice)

Here's a sculpture I made, This is just the "pre stage" I eventually made a mold out of it, and cast a bunch of castles, and painted them....I'll have to take a finished pic of them.

This is one of my favorite things...a Monorail "Word Wall" each monorail color has it's own "word chunk" and the words that can be made from it riding on the monorail Disney character clip art was used to make the characters "ride" the monorail with the words. The students loved it!

SewIn2Disney

These are all pics of a "mini mural" I painted in my cousin's play house.

There's also goofy, pluto, and a full size Sorcerer Mickey too.

sprocketfish

Original Poster
(yay! I figured out how to post bigger pictures!)

Here's a sculpture I made, This is just the "pre stage" I eventually made a mold out of it, and cast a bunch of castles, and painted them....I'll have to take a finished pic of them.

Nice work!!.... crafters are fun...

SewIn2Disney

Oh, and I forgot my easter eggs this year...

(just the two on the left would be of interest to you guys...lol)

I'll have to go back and take pictures of other things....I have a lithograph based off of the lights in the Wilderness lodge, a tote bag that I drew a mickey on and filled in with sequins, (one by one). I also have a backpack I made for a trip to WDW that looks like Mickey. (It's a black backpack with two waterbottle pockets on the side, and a red pocket on the front with two appliqued yellow circles to look like his shorts)

And to sprocketfish....I forgot to mention! I love your scarf. That pattern doesn't look to hard to figure out...if I get it worked out I'll try to post it. I've seen hats on etsy.com with a single croched mickey that look very similar to yours---that's not you, is it?

sprocketfish

Original Poster
]
And to sprocketfish....I forgot to mention! I love your scarf. That pattern doesn't look to hard to figure out...if I get it worked out I'll try to post it. I've seen hats on etsy.com with a single croched mickey that look very similar to yours---that's not you, is it?

No my mickey head is dc... like I said I just made it up as I went... I'm counting the sts and such and making a pattern right now... I'm almost finished...

Kristi Kay

OH-MY-GOSH! You guys stuff is AMAZING!

#1: At first I didn't reaize it was a scarf! AMAZING! If you ever happen to be messing with your choching again and figure out the pattern PLEASE post it! All of my old CP friends would be getting one for Christmas! I've never thought of a Mickey Scarf! I swear, if you could mass produce those- you could make tons of $

#2: I'm excited to see another Art Major on here! I went to art school at the University of Central Arkansas and the University of Arkansas and my professors were not crazy about Disney Art either! It drove me crazy, but it did push me out of my comfort zone of "disney art" into more "gallery quality" art (in their words)...lol!

#3: The cast of the castle is amazing! One of the greatest things I've ever seen! What are the demensions on it?

YAY FOR THIS THREAD!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

sprocketfish

Original Poster
After a little thinking here's the pattern I came up with... It may not be perfect or exact, but it's a start... I'm glad ppl enjoyed this pattern...

Size H crochet hook, but can be changed according to desired size

With black yarn...

Ch 5 and Sl st to first ch to form loop.

Row 1: Ch 3 (will represent 1st dc now and throughout pattern), 17 dcs in the ring, Sl st in 3rd ch to join (18 dcs)

Row 2: Ch 3 and dc in same chain, 2 dc in each stitch around circle, Sl st in the 3rd ch to join (36 dcs)

(Next row gets a little weird; I'm not exactly sure how to describe it)

Row 3: Sl st in next 7 dc, 1st mickey ear[Ch 5 and Sl st in first chain to form loop, Ch 3 and sc in the dc containing the 5 Sl st from the row 3 (kind of working backwards; be careful here to keep maintain the front of the project), 17 dc in newly formed loop, Sl st 2nd dc after the loop to join ear to head], 24 Sl st (use best judgment for correct ear placement), 2nd Mickey ear [same as 1st ear], finish off.

With red yarn...
Row 4: sc in each dc around mickey head (sc in dc of row 2 not in Sl sts of Row 3), finish off (again for this row use best judgment for sc placement)

Joining....
I made 13 lucky mickey heads, but number depends on desired length of scarf. Simply whip st to join ears of one head to the bottom of adjacent head.

Since these heads are so quick to make, I've been thinking of a mickey head afghan, but I haven't had the time... if anyone uses this pattern I would be interested to see what you did!

Questions or comments? Email: sprocketfish@neomail.com

Kristi Kay

Wonderful! I'm not good with fancy croching, but I'm running to Wal-Mart right now to grab some black yarn....I'll be back to give an update on how it's going!

-KK

sprocketfish

Original Poster
About the same time I made the mickey scarf, I started a figment scarf which is still being worked out (aka I haven't had time to finish it)... the figment scarf was a normal scarf pattern (figment purple of course) and for the two ends I crocheted orange figment horns... it will be cute once it's done, but school is too busy right now...

Kristi Kay

Also, Sewn2disney- (I know I didn't get your name right....I couldn't remember it once I got to the thread reply...sorry) The mickey pillowcase, is that cross stiched?

Kristi Kay

About the same time I made the mickey scarf, I started a figment scarf which is still being worked out (aka I haven't had time to finish it)... the figment scarf was a normal scarf pattern (figment purple of course) and for the two ends I crocheted orange figment horns... it will be cute once it's done, but school is too busy right now...

ooooo....sounds so cool! I'm so happy we have these creative threads! They are sooo much better than the ones where everyone is litterly fighting over the most random stuff....lol! All this creativity makes me burst with excitment! I Love new Project Ideas!:sohappy:

sprocketfish

Original Poster
I have work to do... I will continue to tweak the scarf pattern... let me know how it works out... if I have time I will try to quickly make a head and check the pattern for myself... good luck!!...

update: I checked the pattern... it seems about right...

Well, much like the scrapbooking thread, I have some good (IMHO!) pictures to post of some Disney stuff I've done, but still can't figure out how to get the pix in. I see the pic on my end (although it looks gigantic - and I've already re-sized the image), but when I hit "preview post" it just shows an x in a box. Oh well :brick:
But great work to everyone else - keep the pictures coming!!

The Mom

Premium Member
[
#2: I'm excited to see another Art Major on here! I went to art school at the University of Central Arkansas and the University of Arkansas and my professors were not crazy about Disney Art either! It drove me crazy, but it did push me out of my comfort zone of "disney art" into more "gallery quality" art (in their words)...lol!
No Art Major here, but The Daughter graduated as an Art History major. She's now working for a nationally known artist in DC, and having the time of her life...I'm just not sure she knows it. ;)

I know that there are other forum members who have done Disney cross stitch, etc. I've done lots, by no Disney yet. I love the knitting, and will send it along to my daughter.

jmvd20

Some pretty impressive things here, it has always amazed me how people make things like this. Art is definitely something I wasn't gifted in to say the least!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom