Disney Construction Stopped???

thebig2

Original Poster
I heard from a respectable person that on the news today they said Disney was stopping all construction at the parks and were under investigation for hiding accounting losses (Sound familiar). The person I heard this from is a Disney freak. I have not been able to find anything on CNN, FOX, ABC (Obviously), or any other news outlet. Just wondering if anyone else had heard. The last thing I heard was that Disney had found they made more money due to an accounting error not less. I was wondering if anyone else had any news on this or had heard this or is the person I heard this from mistaken. Very disturbing but not surprising if this is in fact true

ToTBellHop

this would be ALL OVER the news were it true. Disney is a Dow company--this would be very big news. I'd take it with a grain of salt--but I'll be at Disney tomorrow to see if construction is still go.

TURKEY

I check several news and business sites and haven't seen anything on it. I think if it were true, it would be showing up somewhere.

DanStat

I actually heard from CNN that Disney actually understated their accounting stuff, and were going to restate it.

thebig2

Original Poster
yeah thats what i was getting at near the end of the post that they made a good accounting error and they made $200 million more than originaly estimated. It doesnt make sene to me but thats what i heard. This is how rumours start eh?

Pioneer Hall

This is not true!

Everyone would have heard it by now since Disney is such a major company. So whatever you heard is not really happening.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
I did hear today that Disney's bond rating was reduced. That would reduce their ability to borrow money for building. Could that be the cause of the rumor?

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by garyhoov
I did hear today that Disney's bond rating was reduced. That would reduce their ability to borrow money for building. Could that be the cause of the rumor?

The thing about Disney and the stock market is the category it will be in for investment. Since the price has lowered substantially recently they are placing it from a quick trade category to a long term investment category.

I haven't heard a bond thing though, so maybe I need to check more info.

jmarc63

heres an article from Moody's Investment Services
The original article is at
http://www.moodys.com/cust/loadHighLight.asp?documentID=1501600000003433&original=1

WALT DISNEY’S A3 on review for downgrade; Theme Park, debt concerns growing

PRESS RELEASE

Approximately $15 billion of debt securities affected

New York, August 05, 2002 -- Moody's Investors Service has placed the A3 long term rating of The Walt Disney Company on review for possible downgrade. The company's P-2 short term rating remains stable. In addition, the A2 ratings for its subsidiaries, Disney Enterprises and ABC, Inc. are being placed on review as well.

The review is prompted by Moody's ongoing concerns about the outlook for the company's theme park operations, uncertainty about viewer and advertiser share momentum at its ABC networks, and the company's high debt burden versus operating and free cash flow for the A3 rating category. Moody's believes that the external environment, which includes waning consumer confidence and ongoing geopolitical uncertainty, will continue to challenge the company's ability to return to credit metrics appropriate for the current rating category.

As a result of weakening market conditions, Disney has been slower to de-lever than originally expected following the Fox Family acquisition, completed earlier in fiscal 2002, despite management's efforts to reduce costs and net debt. In addition, Moody's remains concerned that given ABC's lagging audience share it may experience greater negative volatility should a "double dip" advertising recession take hold.

The review will focus on the following items: First, Disney's ability to improve its balance sheet over the next fiscal year. Second, the company's ability to rebuild audience and advertiser share at its flagship network. Third, developing comfort around the theme park's intermediate term operating and free cash flow contribution. Fourth, assessing future transaction risk.

The Walt Disney Company, headquartered in Burbank, California, is a diversified international media and entertainment company.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by DogsRule!
this would be ALL OVER the news were it true. Disney is a Dow company--this would be very big news. I'd take it with a grain of salt--but I'll be at Disney tomorrow to see if construction is still go.

ALERT ALERT!!!!

EVERYBODY OFF OF THE FORUMS!!!

WE ARE ALL IN GREAT DANGER!!!

We are all going to DIE! Our sodium levels are going to SKYROCKET from the amount of things that we need to take with a "grain of salt!" :slurp: :lol:

indigo

Disney is a very cash rich company. They have in reserve the cash to build five $1billion dollar themeparks right now if they wanted to. A small dip in their bond rating won't really hurt matters.

admats130

I recall reading that Disney had accounting errors. However, undereporting profit is apparantly not fraudulent, unlike overreporting profit like WorldCom. It was apparantlly written off as bad accounting, since it didn't cuase their stock to be overvalued ala WorldCom.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The phrase " return to credit matrix" what does that actually mean, well ill admit ive done no economics since i left school many years ago but i think what their saying id Disney Parks are making money but not as much in as short a time as we money men would like.

If you think about it stock brokers are just like people that gamble at the track but are lucky enough to use someone elses money and then get paid big wedge for not screwing up:rolleyes:

bvolguards

Originally posted by indigo
Disney is a very cash rich company. They have in reserve the cash to build five $1billion dollar themeparks right now if they wanted to. A small dip in their bond rating won't really hurt matters.

exactly:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom