Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Cesar R M

I think what is sadder about this is people watch the movie Frozen, thinking that is how Norway looks, and then they go, "I'm gonna book a trip to Norway!"
As far I know, DCL goes to areas that actually look like the movies.

Normal trips to "Arendal"? not so much.

Siren

New Zealand saw a rise in tourism when the LoTR/Hobbit movies came out. What's your point, caller?

And the Maelstrom ride didn't go straight from the trolls to a port, but fine try nonetheless....
My point is that the powerful influences of Norwegian culture exhibited throughout the Frozen film comes from a genuine place. And, as a result, people from all over the world desire to visit Norway and experience Norwegian culture first hand. Frozen is not getting the credit it deserves, primarily from Epcot purists. It's funny how everyone else can acknowledge this.

im assuming *HER* point is, there is a connection with Frozen and Norway based on the information *SHE* presented
Thanks so much, you nailed it.

The information they presented is neither new or really relevant, save to search for some justification in turning a real land into a fictional one. In other words, they're simply toeing the company line....
No, I don't believe this is the case. The Frozen rendering looks really good, way better than Maelstrom. It does. Disney clearly put some thought and money into this, it's not cheap looking.

and who are "they"
Ugh... don't listen to @wm49rs and his fascinating conspiracy theories. There is no 'they'. I'm just a girl, just a girl in the world -- that's all that you'll let me be! Oh, I'm just a girl, so my apologies -- I'm just a girl, lucky me.

The same individual. I have no idea if it's a he or she....
LOL. I have told you before and more than once that I am female. This is totally unfair to me. I don't question you on being a male. Maybe I should, because you are biggest drama queen on this forum.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
My point is that the powerful influences of Norwegian culture exhibited throughout the Frozen film comes from a genuine place. And, as a result, people from all over the world desire to visit Norway and experience Norwegian culture first hand. Frozen is not getting the credit it deserves, primarily from Epcot purists. It's funny how everyone else can acknowledge this.

No, I don't believe this is the case. The Frozen rendering looks really good, way better than Maelstrom. It does. Disney clearly put some thought and money into this, it's not cheap looking.

Ugh... don't listen to @wm49rs and his fascinating conspiracy theories. There is no 'they'. I'm just a girl, just a girl in the world -- that's all that you'll let me be! Oh, I'm just a girl, so my apologies -- I'm just a girl, lucky me.

LOL. I have told you before and more than once that I am female. This is totally unfair to me. I don't question you on being a male. Maybe I should, because you are biggest drama queen on this forum.
No, Frozen is not getting credit in Norway because it takes place in a fictional land that is supplanting a real one....

Said the individual resorting to gifs and pictures, whether related to the topic or not. Ironic....

And you still haven't denied anything....

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
FP+ only is such a poor, menial concept -- one can only hope that Disney has abandoned this offensive line of thinking altogether.
Ironic (or just sad) that you feel this way about FP+, yet the Norway pavilion's identity crisis is excusable because of "tourism" boosting.

Frozen was in desperate need of a dedicated space and presence in the parks.
How does a movie being popular equate to, "its in desperate need of a dedicated space in the parks"?
And, timing was of the essence, so this is the fastest way to establish Frozen in the parks.
So your saying that they have timed this whole thing out well? Or that doing it the "fastest way" is proper? I also think your confusing "Fastest" with "cheapest".

we can all take a deep breath and start to get excited about this....More than likely, some of those complaining the most about this will be among the first in line, so they can complain some more -- even, if they really like the ride. So, why not just give the Frozen ride a fair chance?

You, like so many others before you, make the misconception that people "complain" about this because its "Frozen" or that because Maelstrom is being replaced. You could not be more wrong. Creating a larger dissociative disorder with Epcot is the problem. Doesnt matter if the ride itself is great or its a hot mess, its forcing a square peg into a circular hole. You allow your excitement to blind you because the company has done so little for so long that now even a step in the wrong direction is defended and excused by so many either because they lack the vision to see a few steps ahead or because they are so afraid to face the idea that Disney really just doesnt care about them or their love for Frozen, they just threw you a cheap bone.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It's funny how everyone else can acknowledge this.
According to Disneys Facebook page or even their own blog, I dont see where "everyone else is acknowledging this"? You are just programmed to think this way. Reality is secondary to your illusion that Disney would not dare take advantage of your love and desire to see anything Frozen related.

PhotoDave219

Norwegian culture not withstanding..... Why put the most popular property in a 900 guests/hour ride?

PhotoDave219

Epcots desperation and/or "acting on a hot IP" apparently trump logic in this case, Dave

Yet none of us have a giant problem if they built a full on, huge version of Arendale in the back of DHS with 3 rides, restaurant and M&G. A property this engrained in pop culture will last years and years and frankly deserves better.

This is entirely built out of trying to get an attendance bump for Epcot. (We'll look at crowd distribution at the end of the month).

Its not just that its World Showcase. Its just not that its Epcot. Its primarily that its not being done right. They're doing it on the cheap. (Which is what they tried to do with Star Wars, but were laughed at by the Board)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
gftyyWS['=;]
Yet none of us have a giant problem if they built a full on, huge version of Arendale in the back of DHS with 3 rides, restaurant and M&G. A property this engrained in pop culture will last years and years and frankly deserves better.

This is entirely built out of trying to get an attendance bump for Epcot. (We'll look at crowd distribution at the end of the month).

Its not just that its World Showcase. Its just not that its Epcot. Its primarily that its not being done right. They're doing it on the cheap. (Which is what they tried to do with Star Wars, but were laughed at by the Board)
I think thats what makes this situation even more frustrating. Those in favor of it will overlook the true reason for this and allow it because they are just excited to have a Frozen attraction. Its not their fault for being excited, but when presented with evidence to show the true colors of this situation, they deny it or just flat out dont want to hear it and will say anything or believe anything Dis says to make themselves believe its not true.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member

standing-ovation-gif.gif

PhotoDave219

gftyyWS['=;]

I think thats what makes this situation even more frustrating. Those in favor of it will overlook the true reason for this and allow it because they are just excited to have a Frozen attraction. Its not their fault for being excited, but when presented with evidence to show the true colors of this situation, they deny it or just flat out dont want to hear it and will say anything or believe anything Dis says to make themselves believe its not true.

Well when Kathy Mangum tells the WSJ they're doing it at Epcot to give it an attendance boost, kinda hard for anyone to deny it.

(And if people don't know who Kathy Mangum is, you have some homework to do. These forums have required reading)

SpaceMountain77

I am accepting the realistic possibility that Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom will be high-quaity parks while Hollywood Studios awaits a reimagining that has yet to materialize and EPCOT further becomes a Tapestry of Hodgepodge. Yes, characterize World Showcase alongside attractions like Living with the Land, Spaceship Earth and Test Track.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I think there is going to be a whole lot of discussion in regards to this. I hope there will be a way to extrapolate certain factors such as how long people stay at Epcot after riding, or if attendance is high in the am and tapers off mid day. I dont see how families or people who find Epcot boring will have a new found love for the remaining sections of the park simply because of the Frozen ride. I could be wrong. Hopefully the numbers will tell us more.

Siren

I think what is sadder about this is people watch the movie Frozen, thinking that is how Norway looks, and then they go, "I'm gonna book a trip to Norway!"
But, it is how certain parts of Norway looks, so it's not sad, at all. What I find to be sadder, is people who visit the Norway Pavilion at Epcot in lieu of visiting the real Norway and ride Maelstrom, thinking it's just like visiting the actual country.

the two biggest arguments against frozen going where it is, to me is
1. Too small for such a strong IP
2. If this ride only does 900 per hour that will be a nightmare

obviously it should go in MK but logistics will not allow it, one park is ridiculously crowded and the other is EPCOT
that's why its going where its going

1. Okay, you're probably right. But, time is an issue, so if Disney were to unveil plans for a Frozen land, it would be at least 10 years from now before we get to experience it. The Frozen ride is not perfect or as grand as it should or could be -- but, it is a nice compromise, IMO.

2. I am hoping that there will be more boats added into the fleet or perhaps larger boats that can hold more people.

I'm sure it does. But by me, are you referring to yourself, or TWDC?
I don't understand the point of this question. I can only refer to myself, but you already know this.

Frozen in Epcot is a poor decision. Or are they just desperate to get more gate clicks no matter what? And to hell with theme and story? Or how about actually building new, compelling attractions in Epcot that actually fit the park?

DHS needs the clicks just as much.
Yes, I believe that Disney is desperate to get more clicks at Epcot. However, they stumbled upon this gold mine by pure chance. It wasn't discovered until the seven hour waits just to meet Anna and Elsa ensued.

If you owned a bakery that sold cupcakes that were so good, that people lined up for miles each day just to buy one -- would you suddenly stop selling the cupcakes because the lobby is too small and there isn't enough parking? Would you tell your patrons they have to wait ten years to buy another cupcake because you have to build a much larger bakery?

Would the customers choose to wait ten years for you to build to proper bakery or would they want to continue buying cupcakes right now?

As for theme and story -- Frozen has it all. A cohesive theme and story was seriously lacking in Maelstrom, hence the awkward misplaced boat and oil rig scene at the end.

It's difficult to define what actually *fits* in Epcot since there is no uniform theme, the present concepts are open to interpretation, IMO.

Unfortunately, the topics are also your comments, and of course those of TWDC. Considering this forum is for WDW news & rumors....
This is just silly, even for you. I don't know what you have managed to convince yourself of, but don't you get just a little bit tired? It seems exhausting.

No, they are not.

Existing Male restroom access down the footpath and new female restroom access will be between the two

Poorly planned and badly executed. Knee jerk reaction.

The best thing so far about this whole project is the PR spin and the social media reaction. Both hilarious.
It's hard for me to envision what this will look like. I want to experience the Norway Pavilion firsthand before deeming it to be 'badly executed'. It may be best that the Frozen ride and meet and greet areas remain separate but right next to each other.

I totally agree, that discussing Frozen at Epcot is hilarious. LOL.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom