Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

ToTBellHop

During the initial stages of the creative process in designing the Norway Pavilion -- Disney and Norway did not see eye to eye on how Norway should be presented.

Disney wanted to showcase the mythological folklore of Norway by way of the trolls and only the trolls -- much to the disdain of the Norwegian officials, who felt strongly that trolls did not effectively reflect the spirit of Norway in a modern and flattering way.

So, Norwegian officials demanded that Disney added the oil rigs, boat, and village scene at the end. Disney begrudgingly agreed to add that scene, and that is why it has always felt forced and out of place.

The country of Norway withdrew sponsorship of the pavilion, leaving Disney to foot the entire bill. Frozen comes along and people are waiting upwards of seven hours to see Anna and Elsa. Norway has experienced a huge boost in tourism as a result of Frozen. In a few months, Frozen has brought in more people and sparked more interest in Norway, than Maelstrom had in almost thirty years.

It is still the Norway Pavilion and the Stave Church and village will still be there.
LOL. Thanks for the laugh. I hadn't laughed this hard since we heard from The Donald yesterday.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
During the initial stages of the creative process in designing the Norway Pavilion -- Disney and Norway did not see eye to eye on how Norway should be presented.

Disney wanted to showcase the mythological folklore of Norway by way of the trolls and only the trolls -- much to the disdain of the Norwegian officials, who felt strongly that trolls did not effectively reflect the spirit of Norway in a modern and flattering way.

So, Norwegian officials demanded that Disney added the oil rigs, boat, and village scene at the end. Disney begrudgingly agreed to add that scene, and that is why it has always felt forced and out of place.

The country of Norway withdrew sponsorship of the pavilion, leaving Disney to foot the entire bill. Frozen comes along and people are waiting upwards of seven hours to see Anna and Elsa. Norway has experienced a huge boost in tourism as a result of Frozen. In a few months, Frozen has brought in more people and sparked more interest in Norway, than Maelstrom had in almost thirty years.

It is still the Norway Pavilion and the Stave Church and village will still be there.
The Stave Church is now occupied by Frozen material, just like the rest of the pavilion. But I'm sure the "inspiring" design of Norway remaining will be a true comfort....

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Disney has secured an additional plot of land to expand the Norway pavilion -- everything has been carefully redesigned to make efficient use of space, in accommodating a substantial number of park visitors. So, we can reasonably expect an enhancement of flow and increased fluidity of movement where crowds and foot traffic are concerned. The other pavilions were not designed with these considerations, in mind.
No they haven't and no it isn't.

They are using an expansion area of a legitimate country to build a separate 3 roomed (less than Fairytale Hall capacity) meet n greet building and bathrooms, totally physically disconnected to Norway.

Not to mention the new build is an amazing bad use of the space available. The amount of unused waste behind it is stunning.

Once again this IP deserves more than being shoehorned into an area it doesn't belong in a desperate attempt to boost park numbers. Frozen deserves is own purpose built area in a suitable park. This is neither.

Magic Kingdom? Yes. DHS? Yes. Epcot is as suitable as the Middle Of Kilimanjaro Safari.

Maelstrom was due a thorough refurb before this. Shame it'll never happen.

Frozen needs a first class, high capacity top drawer attraction. This isn't it either.

Last edited:

Siren

I admire your optimism. But wait until you see the line for Frozen down in China and then we can have this conversation ;)
Awww. Why miss out on all the fun? It's way better to get excited and have something to look forward to, than to dismiss everything before you've even had a chance to experience it.

Do you also say this about Toy Story Mania or Peter Pan? All amusement parks have lines, but so what? Also, you don't have to wait in line if you go early in the morning, even if you like to sleep in late, it's worth making an exception to get there early and skip the lines.

Well, I hate to break the news to people, but I'm sure this is just the beginning. I have no insider information, but would not be shocked to see more countries having more IP's and film characters added to them. Ratatouille, Tangled, etc. I think Disney realizes that MK is overcrowded, not every animated hit can fit in Fantasyland, and this is a way to revitalize interest in Epcot. The majority of people want to see Disney characters when they go to the parks and most won't blink an eye at the inclusion of Frozen in Norway. Sure, some will scratch their heads, but as long as they can eat the food of various cultures, grab a drink, and look at the architecture of different countries, then I think people will be happy. I fully expect for Epcot to look a lot more like MK in the coming decade. I think HS will focus on more live action properties with Star Wars, but even there people say we may get Cars or Toy Story. Seems like AK is the park that will be the most set apart as it relates to realism or non-animated characters infused on rides (but then again there is Avatar).
Frozen is extremely popular and as a business, I understand why it's coming to Epcot and not MK. I think people are mad at what it is doing to change the culture or message of Epcot. But, in 15-20 years when it sits alongside other animated favorites, I don't think it will stand out at all. Some will bemoan the loss of education. Many will remember fondly the Epcot of old. But, MK has changed. Hollywood Studios is getting a major change and people will one day say "remember when it was a working studio that focused on movies?" My one negative that as all of the parks become very similar in theme and content you lose the uniqueness of each park. But, I'll leave that problem to Disney. Personally, I'm excited for the change even if it means that the park changes what it once was to become something different. I'd rather ride something fresh and unique than ride Malestrom for the one millionth time wondering when on Earth it will get an update. Could it be an update that just re-imagines Norway. Yeah, it could. But, that's not what we're getting. Personally, I'm looking forward to this new addition. Do wish it was a longer ride though, but, overall, I will remain optimistic about the direction of Epcot.
OMG, this is such an amazing post! I read every word of it, *twice*. And, I totally agree with you. It doesn't make any sense to put Frozen in Fantasyland so that MK can be even more overcrowded than it is now, while Epcot remains half empty. Again, great post, you have such a brilliant perspective on this!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disney has secured an additional plot of land to expand the Norway pavilion -- everything has been carefully redesigned to make efficient use of space, in accommodating a substantial number of park visitors. So, we can reasonably expect an enhancement of flow and increased fluidity of movement where crowds and foot traffic are concerned. The other pavilions were not designed with these considerations, in mind.

They aren't really expanding the pavilion, they are just adding a relatively small M&G building next to it. This will in no way help the crowd flow through the pavilion.

wdw71fan

had a tour of the goings-on just 2 day ago.. The ride is coming along, as are the other changes.. Martin is dead-on, the M&G location is very small by comparison to some.. The sad thing is that no matter what the final quality is of the attraction, little girls and their mommies will eat it up and the company will come out shining...

Mike S

had a tour of the goings-on just 2 day ago.. The ride is coming along, as are the other changes.. Martin is dead-on, the M&G location is very small by comparison to some.. The sad thing is that no matter what the final quality is of the attraction, little girls and their mommies will eat it up and the company will come out shining...
Shining like a polished turd.........

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Got it in one dude.

The little darlings won't care it's in Epcot, DHS or Six Flags. And management will hail the huge lines as a success.

Last edited:

Mike S

We have debated the appropriateness of Frozen in Epcot since the rumors first started and you all know where I stand on it. After last night I'm not completely against toons in Epcot anymore, but it has to be done right. Disney, please, use Inside Out to bring life back to the Wonders of Life pavilion. It fits so perfectly as a new Cranium Command it would be insane if no ideas have been tossed around WDI yet.

Siren

Why would a Frozen attraction boost tourism to Norway? Has world Showcase ever provided a boost to tourism for any country? Isn't that why Disney has historically had trouble finding countries to sponsor pavilions? They promised to boost tourism initially and never delivered.

But even if Epcot has at some point provided a boost to tourism, I can't imagine anyone riding a Frozen ride and thinking "We should book a trip to Norway."

LOL. It sure seems that way. Honestly, after riding Maelstrom did you feel compelled to book a trip to Norway?

I posted all of this a while back in another thread, so I'll just share it here with you.

The country of Norway has credited Frozen with the huge boost in tourism it has received in recent months.

Here are a few snippets from a couple of well written articles.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a-bonanza-for-norwegian-tourism-9497045.html

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/film-tourism-and-the-frozen-phenomenon-frozens-90553256692.html

"Disney smash Frozen was inspired by Norway’s rugged landscape, and along with making box-office history, the animated feature is helping to break tourism records."

"And it is, in almost every measurable sense. Since the Frozen landing page was launched on the Visit Norway website in November, it has received more than 270,000 visits, which Barnes says is 10 times what a typical page receives. The movie has also boosted business for Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA, a low-cost carrier with routes from the US to Oslo. In March 2014, the airline's passenger traffic increased by 52 percent compared with March 2013."

"Searches for flights to Norway are up 153 percent, according to Flight Tracker. Hotel nights increased 37 percent in the first quarter of 2014 alone. The luxury travel agent network Virtuoso is reporting a 65 percent increase in bookings to Norway. And Disney’s 2015 Frozen-inspired maiden voyage out of the Scandinavian country is already almost sold out."

"Innovation Norway says viewers are also smitten by the film's stunning art direction, which presents digital
renderings of Norwegian life
, including charming stave churches, traditional "bunad" costumes and a sweeping
mountainous backdrop. "It put Norway on the map," says Beate Gran, Innovation Norway's digital media manager and marketing coordinator."

"Barnes says it was clear from advance clips of the film that the film-makers had done their research. Michael Giaimo, the movie's art director, travelled to Norway in 2011 and gained much of his inspiration from the city of Bergen, on the west coast."

Tourism for Norway is up 65% because of Frozen. Frozen has done more to spark *genuine* interest in the culture of Norway, in a mere matter of months than Maelstrom has in it's almost thirty year existence at Epcot.

And, Disney Cruise Line recently launched 9 & 11 Night Norwegian Fjord cruises with stops at various ports of call in Norway.

<snippet>
http://filmdice.wordpress.com/2014/03/01/norwegian-connections-in-frozen/

Frozen is set in the town of Arendelle, which Norwegians will interpret as Arendal. Arendal is a lovely town in the south of Norway.

Pictured below with its fictional counterpart:
tumblr_inline_n1pzy3It9s1rvydlk.jpg

tumblr_inline_n1q66781ak1rvydlk.png

Arendal obviously lacks the mountains featured in Frozen, and the landscape of the film much more resembles the fjords and mountains of western Norway. Southern Norway is far from flat (ask any Dane who strays too far north), but like the Marvel universe that likes to butcher the geography of Tønsberg, Frozen seems to have picked the wrong name for their city. I guess it does sound a bit fairy-tale-ish in English, and I bet pronunciation was a factor. I will be interested to see if the Norwegian dub uses the regular pronunciation. I’m sure all the kids from Arendal will love that.

Architecture

Like the geography, the houses of the town of Arendelle more resemble the architecture of the western town of Bergen, arguably one of Norway’s most beautiful cities architecturally speaking, and certainly the most famous. The docks are on UNESCO’s world heritage list. Look at the details on the houses by the docks in Arendelle below, and compare with Bergen:

tumblr_inline_n1q0eqeoGv1rvydlk.png

tumblr_inline_n1q0f6iDYF1rvydlk.jpg

</snippet>

The ice cutting scene from Frozen is so compelling. Guests will long to see the spectacular Northern Lights! http://www.nordnorge.com/en/frozen/?News=405

Icemen.png

Northern-lights-in-Tromso-in-Northern-Norway-740.JPG

By the way, that was a very interesting video, so thanks for posting it here. I watched a few minutes of it and I'll finish the rest later.

LOL. Thanks for the laugh. I hadn't laughed this hard since we heard from The Donald yesterday.
It's true. The Maelstrom ride suddenly jumps from trolls to a port with a huge boat, it doesn't mesh together, at all -- and that's why. Most people admit to being baffled by that scene. And, who is The Donald?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
LOL. It sure seems that way. Honestly, after riding Maelstrom did you feel compelled to book a trip to Norway?

I posted all of this a while back in another thread, so I'll just share it here with you.

The country of Norway has credited Frozen with the huge boost in tourism it has received in recent months.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-a-bonanza-for-norwegian-tourism-9497045.html

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/film-tourism-and-the-frozen-phenomenon-frozens-90553256692.html

"Disney smash Frozen was inspired by Norway’s rugged landscape, and along with making box-office history, the animated feature is helping to break tourism records."

"And it is, in almost every measurable sense. Since the Frozen landing page was launched on the Visit Norway website in November, it has received more than 270,000 visits, which Barnes says is 10 times what a typical page receives. The movie has also boosted business for Norwegian Air Shuttle ASA, a low-cost carrier with routes from the US to Oslo. In March 2014, the airline's passenger traffic increased by 52 percent compared with March 2013."

"Searches for flights to Norway are up 153 percent, according to Flight Tracker. Hotel nights increased 37 percent in the first quarter of 2014 alone. The luxury travel agent network Virtuoso is reporting a 65 percent increase in bookings to Norway. And Disney’s 2015 Frozen-inspired maiden voyage out of the Scandinavian country is already almost sold out."

"Innovation Norway says viewers are also smitten by the film's stunning art direction, which presents digital
, including charming stave churches, traditional "bunad" costumes and a sweeping
mountainous backdrop. "It put Norway on the map," says Beate Gran, Innovation Norway's digital media manager and marketing coordinator."

"Barnes says it was clear from advance clips of the film that the film-makers had done their research. Michael Giaimo, the movie's art director, travelled to Norway in 2011 and gained much of his inspiration from the city of Bergen, on the west coast."

Tourism for Norway is up 65% because of Frozen. Frozen has done more to spark *genuine* interest in the culture of Norway, in a mere matter of months than Maelstrom has in it's almost thirty year existence at Epcot.

And, Disney Cruise Line recently launched 9 & 11 Night Norwegian Fjord cruises with stops at various ports of call in Norway.

<snippet>

Frozen is set in the town of Arendelle, which Norwegians will interpret as Arendal. Arendal is a lovely town in the south of Norway.

Arendal obviously lacks the mountains featured in Frozen, and the landscape of the film much more resembles the fjords and mountains of western Norway. Southern Norway is far from flat (ask any Dane who strays too far north), but like the Marvel universe that likes to butcher the geography of Tønsberg, Frozen seems to have picked the wrong name for their city. I guess it does sound a bit fairy-tale-ish in English, and I bet pronunciation was a factor. I will be interested to see if the Norwegian dub uses the regular pronunciation. I’m sure all the kids from Arendal will love that.

Architecture

Like the geography, the houses of the town of Arendelle more resemble the architecture of the western town of Bergen, arguably one of Norway’s most beautiful cities architecturally speaking, and certainly the most famous. The docks are on UNESCO’s world heritage list. Look at the details on the houses by the docks in Arendelle below, and compare with Bergen:

</snippet>

The ice cutting scene from Frozen is so compelling. Guests will long to see the spectacular Northern Lights! http://www.nordnorge.com/en/frozen/?News=405

Icemen.png

By the way, that was a very interesting video, so thanks for posting it here. I watched a few minutes of it and I'll finish the rest later.

It's true. The Maelstrom ride suddenly jumps from trolls to a port with a huge boat, it doesn't mesh together, at all -- and that's why. Most people admit to being baffled by that scene. And, who is The Donald?
New Zealand saw a rise in tourism when the LoTR/Hobbit movies came out. What's your point, caller?

And the Maelstrom ride didn't go straight from the trolls to a port, but fine try nonetheless....

twebber55

<snippet>

Architecture

</snippet>

Icemen.png

well hard to argue with facts
thanks for posting this

twebber55

New Zealand saw a rise in tourism when the LoTR/Hobbit movies came out. What's your point, caller?

And the Maelstrom ride didn't go straight from the trolls to a port, but fine try nonetheless....
im assuming his point is, there is a connection with Frozen and Norway based on the information he presented

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom