Disney confirms 'Frozen' makeover coming to Epcot's Norway Pavilion

Cesar R M

If they wanted to take some Norwegian traditional culture that influenced American pop culture, then why didn't they do anything with these guys?
2392237019_01cecd96f8.jpg

And what about the various manga exhibits they've had in the back of the Japan pavilion for years? Or the new Harajuku girls they're getting? Or the various cover bands that have played at the UK pavilion through the years? Do those not count as pop culture?

That justification is BS, plain and simple. I'm sure you were not the first to ask him that question (nor shall you be the last), and he's just giving the official answer because he likes his job. If he actually believes that this is staying true to the spirit of World Showcase, then I have even less faith in this project than I did before, which wasn't much to start with
they probably were ordered "I dont care what excuse you use.. we need to put Frozen in norway"

aladdin2007

I hate those things. I hated them on sight when I saw them at a toy store as a kid. I just don't get the appeal. At all. JMHO.

The ones they carried were not those cheap things like in the picture, they were larger and higher end and some in Scandinavian costume, so at least they werent like the toy store ones per say.

matt9112

Good luck getting one if you are a one or two day guest...

thixs x1000 although resort conditions have become worse for us all non lifestylers....those of us who may not take a trip every year like the world might stop spinning are in for the worst.

fyi i do take trips but point is valid.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
However, hopefully in the spirit of World Showcase, Norway will be heavily portrayed when this opens.
How will that be exactly? I truly dont see them putting up a sign that reads, "inspired by Norway" in the Frozen attraction. They would also have to add, "inspired by Canada and Utah as well". Disney has already said that the ride will feature songs and scenes from the movie so I dont think Norway will be represented there either. Aside from architecture and the bakery, thats about all of Norway that one will experience.

lazyboy97o

So I talked to an Imagineer yesterday about this topic, and he explained the logic of Arendelle in Norway.

He said that they know that it is a new concept for WS. Traditionally, the WS pavilions focus on the history and culture of the respective countries, but that doesn't mean that they can't show how the history and cultures of these countries influence pop culture.
Any two bit Armchair Imagineer could think up that excuse that has been peddled here plenty. It's shallow aesthetic nonsense.

The Empress Lilly

So I talked to an Imagineer yesterday about this topic, and he explained the logic of Arendelle in Norway.

He said that they know that it is a new concept for WS. Traditionally, the WS pavilions focus on the history and culture of the respective countries, but that doesn't mean that they can't show how the history and cultures of these countries influence pop culture.
At least the imagineer accepts that Frozen is a new concept for WS, instead of the nonsense we read here that it is all just a variant of what WS is all about.

Although he is mistaken. The Frozen ride (one may well assume) does not show how the history and culture of Norway inspired American pop culture. The Stave church exhibit does that. No, the Frozen ride is that pop culture, not an exhibit about it.

Bocabear

I remember having breakfast at the Poly once and an Imagineer was sitting at the table next to me... He was working on the Magic Kingdom at the time and we started talking... Construction had just begun next to IASW. I told him I had heard it was to be new restroom themed to Tangled... He seemed to get visibly disturbed, told me I had no idea what I was talking about and that they were doing much more than that there...really belligerently actually...and then he didn't say another word and left after that... Was strange... and even stranger when the project was completed as Tangled themed restrooms...no more.
So I never really trust what they will tell you in the field...

RayTheFirefly

I remember having breakfast at the Poly once and an Imagineer was sitting at the table next to me... He was working on the Magic Kingdom at the time and we started talking... Construction had just begun next to IASW. I told him I had heard it was to be new restroom themed to Tangled... He seemed to get visibly disturbed, told me I had no idea what I was talking about and that they were doing much more than that there...really belligerently actually...and then he didn't say another word and left after that... Was strange... and even stranger when the project was completed as Tangled themed restrooms...no more.
So I never really trust what they will tell you in the field...
To be fair, there is also a tower, a new river/water feature with tons of little hidden Pascals, a section that has outlets for phone charging disguised in seating barrels, and a very pretty seating area underneath hanging lanterns. And the whole area is highly detailed. But I definitely see your point.

Bocabear

To be fair, there is also a tower, a new river/water feature with tons of little hidden Pascals, a section that has outlets for phone charging disguised in seating barrels, and a very pretty seating area underneath hanging lanterns. And the whole area is highly detailed. But I definitely see your point.
I thought it was a very congenial conversation...and I certainly did not come off like a know it all.. I was surprised by his response...And yes it is a beautifully themed area. I am very happy with how it came out...but it is...rest rooms...and a lovely sitting area...adjacent to the restrooms....It's not an attraction or restaurant...Even the waitress raised an eyebrow at his attitude... Oh well.. Maybe he was having a bad morning.

Cesar R M

I thought it was a very congenial conversation...and I certainly did not come off like a know it all.. I was surprised by his response...And yes it is a beautifully themed area. I am very happy with how it came out...but it is...rest rooms...and a lovely sitting area...adjacent to the restrooms....It's not an attraction or restaurant...Even the waitress raised an eyebrow at his attitude... Oh well.. Maybe he was having a bad morning.
or perhaps forced to do that kind of projects he disliked?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom