Disney College Program - Before Applying

Julia Smith

Original Poster
Hello!

I am going to be a college freshman this coming fall, and I am interested in doing the Walt disney world college program at the end of my sophomore year or sometime during my junior year.

I had a few questions for people who have done the program before about how doing the program affected your college plans and how your college handled you doing the program.

1. If you had a scholarship or grant at your college were you able to keep it even though you were away doing the program during the semester or after you were in Florida?

2. Did your college consider the program study abroad or just taking a semester off? What was it considered and did you have to pay a semester worth of tuition to your college during your semester doing the program? For example, my college I am attending has you pay tuition in order to study abroad during a semester, is this the same for the college program?

3. Is there an exact link to a list of colleges that usually participate in the program (I know you can do the program as long as you are a college student but I would love to see a list of colleges that regularly have students participate in the program)?

4. Is there an exact link to a list of colleges that give credit to students who take classes during the program?

That is it for now! I have done a lot of research about the disney college program but have not found any information regarding working with your college before and during the application process.

I really appreciate any help and answers to any of the above questions! Thank you very much in advance!!!

- Julia

fugawe09

I am aware of at least three ways that colleges handle this:

1. You arrange a "planned educational leave", meaning you are not enrolled or receiving credit for the semester but your university is expecting you to return at a certain date and you won't need to reapply. Sort of like hitting the pause button.

2. You remain a tuition-paying enrolled student and receive credit from your college. Note that most colleges DO NOT carte blanche accept the Disney courses for transfer credit because Disney is not an accredited educational institution. (Studying abroad is different because you are taking courses from an accredited educational institution that your university has an agreement with.) Each university handles it differently, but a common method for schools to give credit for internships is that you approach a professor and ask them to "sponsor" you for an individual study course. The professor may require a term paper, journal entries, etc. where you demonstrate to them what you have learned in the Disney courses. Thus your credits are earned from your university, from the sponsor professor.

3. Some people remain enrolled at least part time in their university and take classes online.

Your school should have an internship and career center that can advise you on what your specific options are. On financial aid, again check with your school, but in most cases you have to be enrolled for a minimum number of units to be eligible for FAFSA.

My best advice is to commit to going back and finishing school after a College Program. Disney isn't going anywhere; you can always go back. Too many students inhale the pixie dust a little too deeply and abandon their half-done college degree after their CP in favor of a part time minimum wage job that is "fun".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom