Disney characters in IASW = most inconsequential change ever?

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
I'm trying to figure out why this was even done. It isn't like "small world" has gotten less popular or beloved in the 2000s, so I'm assuming this wasn't an attempt to draw more people. It also isn't selling any merchandise. In my experience, the additions are easy to ignore or even miss. I forget characters are even in there at many points, likely because I'm focused on all the other original things. Years later, I don't see the point. How did something like this get funding? Who sold this idea to management and how?

Animaniac93-98

They should get rid of all of them except Alice and the White Rabbit (not just because they relate to 19th century British culture, but becuase they actually look like Mary Balir creations). The rest add nothing to the experience, and some are downright ugly. I hope they don't get added to WDW, DLP or TDL.

The only thing worse is the 'Murica scene.

Neither addition ruins the ride for me, but they still are pointless "improvements" I can do without.

Jax274

Here are some pictures of the characters in Its a Small World

Attachments

• images-1.jpg
    images-1.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 57
  • images-2.jpg
    images-2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 56
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 57
  • imgres-1.jpg
    imgres-1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 60
  • imgres.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 62

Phroobar

I never really liked any of them. The idea was originally to introduce these characters to HK Disneyland visitors.

Somehow management figured that american tourists don't know the characters either. They did an internal survey of the occupants of three cubicles on the third floor of the TDA building and found those people never heard of those characters either. Management figured If someone that works for Disney never heard of them, then most likely most tourists didn't either so Disneyland gets them too.

lazyboy97o

I never really liked any of them. The idea was originally to introduce these characters to HK Disneyland visitors.

Somehow management figured that american tourists don't know the characters either. They did an internal survey of the occupants of three cubicles on the third floor of the TDA building and found those people never heard of those characters either. Management figured If someone that works for Disney never heard of them, then most likely most tourists didn't either so Disneyland gets them too.
Before it was used against Disneyland, "it's a small world" at Hong Kong Disneyland was described as a game of hide-and-seek. Disney didn't think there was any actual interest in "it's a small world". As part of the lies initiated to discredit Al Lutz this emphasis was scrubbed from that description. If the attraction no longer worked such that it had to be redone into something else it should have just been torn down.

Californian Elitist

I totally second that! The last time I went on that ride I had a nightmare that I got stuck in the white room with all of the dolls coming to get me...it was most unpleasant. :jawdrop:

If you think those dolls are scary, check out this small world knock-off in China. The figures are completely static and they look like they want to kill people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom