Disney bus transportation etiquette rant

ibisti

Original Poster
We have been on vacation for just over a week from the uk and we have been having a wonderful time. We have been making the most of all of the time we have here, and have enjoyed the hospitality of Disney and its visitors. The only fly in the ointment has been our amazement at the lack of manners displayed on the late night busses back from the parks and DTD. So far every packed bus has seen grown men and teenage boys steadfastly sitting down while elderly folks, very small children and pregnant women have had to stand. I have stood to give up my seat on every journey and so has my wife and 10 year old daughter, we see it as the right thing to do. Is this a forgotten thing to do I the states? I hope not?
On the bus back tonight from HS in the seats in front of me sat 2 single guys, a rather large man with his 2 teenage sons ( who's wife stood ) and 2 young girls. Standing in front of them in the isle was a lady holding a sleeping 4 year old, an elderly couple and a family with 2 small children. You guessed it the sitting people made a great effort not to make eye contact all of the way back to our hotel.
At first I thought it was just on one bus, but so far it's been on all of them. It's a sad state of affairs when this becomes the norm and acceptable.
Sorry for the rant, but I had to get it off my chest!

JohnHangen

We have been on vacation for just over a week from the uk and we have been having a wonderful time. We have been making the most of all of the time we have here, and have enjoyed the hospitality of Disney and its visitors. The only fly in the ointment has been our amazement at the lack of manners displayed on the late night busses back from the parks and DTD. So far every packed bus has seen grown men and teenage boys steadfastly sitting down while elderly folks, very small children and pregnant women have had to stand. I have stood to give up my seat on every journey and so has my wife and 10 year old daughter, we see it as the right thing to do. Is this a forgotten thing to do I the states? I hope not?
On the bus back tonight from HS in the seats in front of me sat 2 single guys, a rather large man with his 2 teenage sons ( who's wife stood ) and 2 young girls. Standing in front of them in the isle was a lady holding a sleeping 4 year old, an elderly couple and a family with 2 small children. You guessed it the sitting people made a great effort not to make eye contact all of the way back to our hotel.
At first I thought it was just on one bus, but so far it's been on all of them. It's a sad state of affairs when this becomes the norm and acceptable.
Sorry for the rant, but I had to get it off my chest!

I love Disney as much as anyone, but the bus system is a shyteshow of the first order.

Jeff456

I'd always give up my seat but don't personally use the bus system anymore as I wouldn't look back from hiring a car which is far nicer at the end of the day. Not justifying anyone's behaviour and I'm playing Devils advocate here but some of those people have maybe be standing for much of the day and feel they have as much right to sit as anyone else (I don't agree before anyway thinks I do!)

daisyduckie

I used to feel the same way about healthy looking people sitting while those who appear to need the seat more stand. And then I learned, you don't always know by looking who needs the seat and who doesn't.

You wouldn't know by looking at me that some days my knee would pop out and I would fall if I tried to stand on a moving bus. My balance would be shot. Many people may look healthy at first glance, and may not be.

Plus, it is the way of public transportation in the states. Some people give up their seats for others, but it is not expected. Also, the buses hold many more people standing up than they do sitting down. I look at it from the other side--if you our a loved one can't stand or shouldn't be standing on a moving bus, then don't use them. Or at the very least, don't get on one that has the few seats already taken. I can't think too highly of someone who would get on a standing room only bus with a pregnant family member, expecting someone will give them a seat.

Last edited:

riverscu0m0

I used to feel the same way about healthy looking people sitting while those who appear to need the seat more stand. And then I learned, you don't always know by looking who needs the seat and who doesn't.

You wouldn't know by looking at me that some days my knee would pop out and I would fall if I tried to stand on a moving bus. My balance would be shot. Many people may look healthy at first glance, and may not be.

Plus, it is the way of public transportation in the states. Some people give up their seats for others, but it is not expected. Also, the buses hold many more people standing up than they do sitting down. I look at it from the other side--if you our a loved one can't stand or shouldn't be standing on a moving bus, then use them. Or at the very least, don't get on one that has the few seats already taken. I can't think too highly of someone who would get on a standing room only bus with a pregnant family member, expecting someone will give them a seat.

Diiiiiiiiing! You're the winner. Exactly what I was thinking. I try not to judge based on appearance because I often forget that not every illness or injury is a visible one.

Figgy1

Premium Member
We don't use busses, but last trip the monorail out of MK was down at closing. So a bus we had to use:mad: We all stood as there was no reason for any of us needed to sit! I try and teach my children manners!

ibisti

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments, but I will have to disagree about pre judging people that might not be able to stand. You can't tell me that most of the people who were sitting could not have given up their seat. Just by the law of averages most of the people sitting would have been fit and healthy. As for feeling they have just as much right to sit just doesn't cut it from how I was brought up. And how does a husband and sons sit while their mom and wife stands? Manners are manners and healthy men should always give up their seat to others, period.

Scor1pion

....... And how does a husband and sons sit while their mom and wife stands? .....
Personal choice of the wife maybe? I say this because there are times when my wife prefers to stand, so I will sit. However, if I see an elderly, pregnant or disabled person come on the bus I will get up and offer my seat. I have also given up my seat to the tired mother with kids hanging on her

BJones82

I agree most people are probably just not thinking and should give up their seats but I also strongly agree that we don't know the nuances of every situation or even if those people were offered seats and refused. Some people would not accept an offer(not to say that offer shouldn't be made) because they feel they don't deserve to sit more than the next person... I know when I ride buses or the Monorail I have gotten up and offered seats to people and they didn't take it so out joint stubbornness caused the seat to remain empty for the trip lol...

Because I don't know the nuances of every situation I just don't let it bug me and know if I am that person on the bus I will be standing and let someone else make the decision to take the seat when they don't need it...

Just try not to let it get to you too much :)

Courtney6682

Yeah this is one of my pet peeves too...my husband and I have taught our children to give up their seats...what REALLYYYY BOTHERS ME...is when people let babies and small kids take up seats...if a bus is crowded everyone 10 and under needs to lap it! A few weeks ago there was a mom, dad and 2 kids under 3 taking up 5 seats with their giant stroller and their toddlers getting 2 seats to themselves...ughhh! Let me add that yes...my husband and I did make our 9 yr old lap it when needed.

Last edited:

sheriffwoody

If an elderly person or someone clearly injured needed one, I certainly would offer my seat, but otherwise, I wouldn't. If someone tried to give me a seat just because I'm a woman, I'd look at them like they were crazy. I'm plenty able-bodied, thank you! Well, maybe after I ran a Disney race and was limping around on my tendonitis-ridden foot, I'd take a seat ;) ha

NYwdwfan

I find it uncomfortable to be sitting when someone else is standing - no matter the gender, age or whatever - so I always offer - HOWEVER - if someone has a personal situation where they MUST sit, they do have the option of letting others go ahead and waiting to be first on the next bus.

jloucks

I do give up my seat, but only for people that are less able to stand than myself. ...which is only handicapped and some elderly people. ...rarely moms who need to use their legs to reign in their kids. ...that one is kinda hard to explain, but if you have kids you know what I mean.

All this leads into my rant on how WDW should ditch the economy cattle-car-bus mentality and just bring in regular coach buses. Sure they are more expensive, but would alleviate a ton of issues.

jloucks

If an elderly person or someone clearly injured needed one, I certainly would offer my seat, but otherwise, I wouldn't. If someone tried to give me a seat just because I'm a woman, I'd look at them like they were crazy. I'm plenty able-bodied, thank you! Well, maybe after I ran a Disney race and was limping around on my tendonitis-ridden foot, I'd take a seat ;) ha

Exactly. In this new age of anti-chivalry (which I agree with to an extent) you are taking a risk when trying to be polite/chivalrous.

Squigglove

I agree to an extent with some of the comments, however, I most agree with the topic post!
We originally planned our vacation (this coming August) to stay for the first time at a Disney Resort and use the bus system but the more I hear about them the more horrified I am. We decided last week to add a rental car to our package.

I would also like to add that during our last visit to Disney in 2009 we had direct problems with people that were obviously locals. Mind you, Florida residents get into the parks at a fraction of what the rest of us pay to vacation there and they treat us like crap!!! I'm sorry to say it but if Disney wants to maintain quality they're sadly going to have to bump up the prices for FL residents. It goes beyond stubbornness when you have to spend the rest of your vacation in fear that you may or may not be physically attacked by a "gang" of people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom