Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Give or take not in your lifetime, the contract will eventually expire. These contracts aren't for 999 years or anything of that matter is it? I read through it. I say give it another 20 years and the contract will be reworked. Nothing last for ever in the legal world. Even Guisness some 800 years from now will have to renew it's lease on their brewery. The US DOD will have to renew the lease on shades of green ect. ect. Just not now. Anyone who says this wont happen is being naïve to the fact that Universal and Disney will have to change their agreement.
Whatever you want to believe....

GLaDOS

Give or take not in your lifetime, the contract will eventually expire. These contracts aren't for 999 years or anything of that matter is it? I read through it. I say give it another 20 years and the contract will be reworked. Nothing last for ever in the legal world. Even Guisness some 800 years from now will have to renew it's lease on their brewery. The US DOD will have to renew the lease on shades of green ect. ect. Just not now. Anyone who says this wont happen is being naïve to the fact that Universal and Disney will have to change their agreement.

*sigh*

The contract clearly states "in perpetuity". As long as Universal fulfills their requirements, they keep the rights. It's as simple as that.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The contract has no expiration, Disney cannot change the agreement unless Universal agrees to the changes. It may change some day when both parties feel it is mutually beneficial, but it's not changing just because Disney wants it to.

lazyboy97o

What? The contract has its term in it, something you would know if you actually read it. And nobody renews a lease on owned property, so there will be no renewal of Shades of Green's non-existent lease.

ULPO46

Every conract has an expirat
What? The contract has its term in it, something you would know if you actually read it. And nobody renews a lease on owned property, so there will be no renewal of Shades of Green's non-existent lease.
My bad I don't want to get attacked. Clearly I don't have the legal work to read through all the pages. I just know for a fact that Shades has a 99 year lease with the DOD. I apologize for getting y'all worked up.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Every conract has an expirat.

This one does not.

TERM

Once THE MARVEL UNIVERSE opens within the above time period, the term of this agreement shall continue for so long as a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE shall remain open (and operated consistent with the standards of the next paragraph below) at any Universal Theme Park (allowing for temporary closures for force majeure events or refurbishment/maintenance provided they are being diligently pursued), except for termination for material breach (with written notice and a reasonable opportunity to cure).

ULPO46

Aslo the contract is out dated. I know it continues on even if Universal got bought and sold by GE to Comcast and Marvel got sold to Disney. But contracts can be re-negotiated. It happens all the time in Corporate America. Companies by other companies IP ect. ect. Not to mention that the contract stipulates. "Marvel will reasonably cooperate in making information, artwork, archive material, key personnel, etc. available to MCA in order that MCA can creatively develop THE MARVEL UNIVERSE and exploit its rights hereunder. MCA will reimburse Marvel for its reasonable costs in this regard, including time of non-executive personnel and their reasonable travel expense"
Which in essence would mean the GOTG could not be built at Disney World then because even if it didn't exsist then, it's still included in said marvel universe. See where the contract gets iffy. I'm not trying to get into a legal battle but, eventually it needs to get worked out properly. Not giving the rights to Disney but at least renew the contract's legal language.

lazyboy97o

Every conract has an expirat

My bad I don't want to get attacked. Clearly I don't have the legal work to read through all the pages. I just know for a fact that Shades has a 99 year lease with the DOD. I apologize for getting y'all worked up.
Then you should have no problem quoting or citing the relevant clause.

Shades of Green started as a lease, but has since been sold.

Frankie The Beer

And in 800 years when Guinness renews their brewery lease I hope we all will be there having a cold one.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Aslo the contract is out dated. I know it continues on even if Universal got bought and sold by GE to Comcast and Marvel got sold to Disney. But contracts can be re-negotiated. It happens all the time in Corporate America. Companies by other companies IP ect. ect. Not to mention that the contract stipulates. "Marvel will reasonably cooperate in making information, artwork, archive material, key personnel, etc. available to MCA in order that MCA can creatively develop THE MARVEL UNIVERSE and exploit its rights hereunder. MCA will reimburse Marvel for its reasonable costs in this regard, including time of non-executive personnel and their reasonable travel expense"
Which in essence would mean the GOTG could not be built at Disney World then because even if it didn't exsist then, it's still included in said marvel universe. See where the contract gets iffy. I'm not trying to get into a legal battle but, eventually it needs to get worked out properly. Not giving the rights to Disney but at least renew the contract's legal language.
Yes, you are....

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The contract does not give Universal the rights to the entire Marvel Universe only the characters they opened with and ones in the same family. There are some tenuous links between GotG and the characters Uni is using, but it's definitely not a slam dunk that Uni has the rights to them.

Last edited:

ULPO46

And in 800 years when Guinness renews their brewery lease I hope we all will be there having a cold one.
That's why I said it wont happen in our lifetime. Eventually theme parks will kill of favorite attractions and lands to build bigger better attractions. Someday, Marvel might not even be as popular as it is today. I certainly hope not but who knows it's the future I'm thinkin with an open mind. The future is bright and open to possibilities. I am not trying to start the same BS on here all over again. I'm just be a realist.

captainmoch

The idea of an Avengers e-ticket gets me excited, because it's likely they'd go all out with a new ride system and everything for it. It definately wouldn't be Spiderman-esque being right next to it, and Kuka arms could happen but Forbidden Journey is in the same park so maybe not. I'm sure it'd be a great and innovative experience either way, and I'm just gonna throw out a wild guess that it will start construction after Kong and be finished around 2018-2019.

Ignohippo

Once again thank you for the legal lessons I don't want to argue about this.

Then why are you?

You stated that contracts get re-worked all the time but, in this case, Comcast would have zero motivation to do so and Disney wouldn't pay the outlandish price it would take to get the Avengers characters back.

AEfx

Then why are you?

You stated that contracts get re-worked all the time but, in this case, Comcast would have zero motivation to do so and Disney wouldn't pay the outlandish price it would take to get the Avengers characters back.

I'm not so sure there isn't some incentive on the parts of both sides for things to move on this issue. I don't have it handy right now but I was reading an article about financials a week or so ago that said that Disney is pulling in roughly 300M on Spidey merch alone...Universal's profits are always going to be hampered by how much they have to end up paying Disney when if they had more attractions based on their own IP's or ones more secured to them they would be making more cash themselves (for example, Potter's big punch for Universal was partially in increased attendance, but much more so the amount of merch being sold).

It doesn't mean anything, but it's certainly not like Universal doesn't have reasons to want some sort of change, eithers.

lazyboy97o

I'm not so sure there isn't some incentive on the parts of both sides for things to move on this issue. I don't have it handy right now but I was reading an article about financials a week or so ago that said that Disney is pulling in roughly 300M on Spidey merch alone...Universal's profits are always going to be hampered by how much they have to end up paying Disney when if they had more attractions based on their own IP's or ones more secured to them they would be making more cash themselves (for example, Potter's big punch for Universal was partially in increased attendance, but much more so the amount of merch being sold).

It doesn't mean anything, but it's certainly not like Universal doesn't have reasons to want some sort of change, eithers.
Universal Orlando Resort has licensing deals with every major studio and then some. The Marvel contract is in all likelihood the cheapest, simplest, longest term and most secure of all of their deals. If they ever tired of paying the set, predictable fees it would be after jettisoning many other deals first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom