Disney and New Orleans history Connection?

R W B

Original Poster
So whats the connection between the 2? WDW has 2 New Orleans themed resorts and DL even has a New Orleans themed area in the park.

I even heard a while back that Walt Disney himself back in the 50s/60s wanted to build WDW in New Orleans but when he started looking for land here people jacked up the prices of their land. Thats why when he decided FL was the spot he had the idea to make false companies and have them buy the land so it wouldn't happen again there. Anyone else heard this before?

Just wondering what the connection is if any at all.

ThinkTink721

New Orleans Square was among the last additions to Disneyland overseen by Walt Disney himself. Opened in 1966, it is meant to capture the flavor and architectural detail of New Orleans's Bourbon Street.
disney.wikia.com/wiki/Disneyland

New Orleans Square is a themed land found exclusively at Disneyland, though a similarly themed area can be found within Tokyo Disneyland's Adventureland. Based on 19th-century New Orleans, it was the first new land to be added to Disneyland after the park's opening. The land was opened to the public on July 24, 1966. The name is a bit of a misnomer, since the area does not resemble a square so much as an intricate series of "streets" that weave around shops, restaurants, and the first Pirates of the Caribbean show building.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans_​Square

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Walt Disney was very involved in the design and implementation.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The area now occupied by the Disney Gallery was originally intended to be a private apartment for the Disney family, much larger than the one above the Main Street Fire Station.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Frontierland railroad station was re-themed and renamed when New Orleans Square opened. The sound of the telegraph heard at the train station is a portion of Walt Disney's speech on Disneyland's opening day - in Morse code.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Disneyland's steam trains sometimes have a longer stop at the New Orleans Square Station since that's where they refill them with water.[/FONT]
www.allears.net/dlr/tp/dl/nosq.htm

The Port Orleans Riverside & French Quarter Resorts on the Disney World property were once Dixie Landings & they were rethemed.

Not sure about NO being considered a sight for WDW.

:wave:

Wilt Dasney

I don't know of any specific connection. New Orleans is a colorful, interesting place though, so it makes sense that Disney would latch onto it thematically. (The more family-friendly parts, anyway!)

But as noted, Port Orleans is just a renamed resort that was designed with a more general Southern theme.

ThinkTink721

I did find that Walt Disney first flew over Orlando, FL on the date that JFK was assassinated.
He landed in New Orleans, LA and heard the news about the President there.

That's the only connection I can find...maybe someone else will find more.

R W B

Original Poster
I don't know of any specific connection. New Orleans is a colorful, interesting place though, so it makes sense that Disney would latch onto it thematically. (The more family-friendly parts, anyway!)

But as noted, Port Orleans is just a renamed resort that was designed with a more general Southern theme.
This is an interesting place indeed, lol. I didnt realize that Port orleans were just renamed resorts, it makes sense.
I did find that Walt Disney first flew over Orlando, FL on the date that JFK was assassinated.
He landed in New Orleans, LA and heard the news about the President there.

That's the only connection I can find...maybe someone else will find more.
Good info in your first post, I didnt know the DL section was that old.

Very interesting about the dates of JFK and then Disney landing here in New Orleans and hearing about it. I must ask, how did you find that info, lol?

MarkTwain

So whats the connection between the 2? WDW has 2 New Orleans themed resorts and DL even has a New Orleans themed area in the park.

I even heard a while back that Walt Disney himself back in the 50s/60s wanted to build WDW in New Orleans but when he started looking for land here people jacked up the prices of their land. Thats why when he decided FL was the spot he had the idea to make false companies and have them buy the land so it wouldn't happen again there. Anyone else heard this before?

Just wondering what the connection is if any at all.

Very interesting question... huh.

I think Walt Disney was a person who very much pursued the things he was interested in. He had personal interest in trains, midwestern towns, technology, animals, the writings of Mark Twain, even urban planning... and all of these things crept into Disneyland as elements of the park, which he more or less built as his own personal utopia, a monument to all he held dear in the world. Walt also showed he also had a broader interest in Americana, as well as anything exotic, and few would argue against New Orleans' place as a city that is both an American treasure historically and culturally (the birthplace of jazz, the atmosphere of streetcars and wrought-iron balconies, its cuisine), while simultaneously being one of the most exotic cities within the United States (French, African, and Spanish-influenced culture, with a touch of pirates and voodoo thrown in for good measure). Walt also repeatedly showed an interest in the Old South, particularly through films such as Song of the South, possibly because of the sort of mythos of elegance or gentility that the region had developed, a fantasy which perhaps meshed well with all the other fantasies Disney portrayed. New Orleans could be seen as the sort of cultural epicenter of this idea, and bringing a New Orleans land to Disneyland could be seen as a way to compactly bringing that setting and feel to his park.

And that's just speculation. Some research reveals that he visited the city "to soak up the atmosphere" when preparing for Song of the South (source), so it's not hard to imagine Walt falling in love with the city then. Harper Goff, one of the leading designers of Disneyland, visited the city for research/Mardi Gras celebrations in 1951 (source), a mere 4 years before Disneyland opened, so it's easy to see how some Crescent City influence snuck in that way as well.

And don't think that the New Orleans influence just started in the late 60s' with New Orleans Square. Not many people know it, but before New Orleans Square, the area of Frontierland which preceded it was also based on New Orleans, although in a much simpler and less elaborate little district called New Orleans Street. So this is one element of American culture which was present in Disneyland from the very beginning. Perhaps the connection to Frontierland is revealing - New Orleans was the largest city in the Louisiana Purchase, which many Americans saw as the frontier, and as such, perhaps New Orleans could be seen as the "anchor" to the Wild West, another subject which Walt apparently found interesting. Today, New Orleans Square sits at the crossroads of Frontierland, the Old Southern-themed Critter Country, and Adventureland - perhaps, then, New Orleans was selected for its unique ties to American history, the American South, and as a vibrant port city used to access such far-off places as the Caribbean or Latin America.

As for Port Orleans FQ and Riverside, remember that even though they were originally more separate in their themes as Port Orleans and Dixie Landings, they were designed jointly as part of a single thematic setting, and one very much tied into the New Orleans/Old South atmosphere. I also don't think the connection between New Orleans Square and the Port Orleans was coincidental - the way I see it, Imagineers were very eager to bring over many ideas from Disneyland that didn't make it into the Magic Kingdom, and did so many times (eg, bringing Blue Bayou into Epcot in the form of San Angel Inn, bringing the Primeval World in by way of Universe of Energy, reviving the Liberty Street concept as Liberty Square, etc.). Since the Imagineers turned down New Orleans Square in favor of Liberty Square, I wonder if building the two (arguably more elaborate) Port Orleans resorts were a way of coming to terms with that.

As for all the other New Orleans/Disney connections - the premiere of Hunchback of Notre Dame held in the Superdome, the Princess and the Frog, the art show that just ended there - I suspect those are just the fruits of such a long and fascinating relationship between the two cities. Disney's been honoring the city for 40+ years - why stop now? :)

Sorry about the length - just two subjects which I care a lot about...

MarkTwain

P.S., never heard about NOLA being looked at as a site for WDW, but I wouldn't doubt it. We know he looked at New York and St. Louis (two other places which Walt cared about), but unfortunately the highly secretive nature surrounding "Project X" means we don't have much information on its development until the Florida property was selected.

And P.P.S: Happy Mardi Gras! :D

lazyboy97o

I too have to second the sentiment of never hearing about any potential Walt Disney projects slated for New Orleans. Sounds like a bit of botched information regarding the St. Louis project, with both cities being sited on the Mississippi River.

P.S., never heard about NOLA being looked at as a site for WDW, but I wouldn't doubt it. We know he looked at New York and St. Louis (two other places which Walt cared about), but unfortunately the highly secretive nature surrounding "Project X" means we don't have much information on its development until the Florida property was selected.

St. Louis was not a site for Disney World. It was part of an urban renewal project and would have been an entirely indoor facility occupying a city block or two (I cannot remember at this time). It was more like the Regional Entertainment initiative that Parks & Resorts was pursuing under Jay Rasulo.

I really do not believe Walt Disney ever actually looked at New York as a potential site of Disneyland East. Lots of people and companies solicited Disney for development projects. To this day people speculate about potential Disney projects either naively or intentionally to increase property values. Disney biographers also tend to ascribe the idea to Robert Moses, New York City Parks Commissioner and President of the World's Fair with Moses' biographer Robert A. Caro saying it was Disney's idea.

The site of the 1939 and 1964 New York World's Fairs was today's Flushing Meadows - Corona Park. Most people do not realize, but they have heard of the site as it is the "valley of ashes" described in The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Following the 1939 Fair, Moses, before he had risen to power and prominence, envisioned the site as being a grand, new "central park" for all of the city and saw the 1964 Fair as being the means of finally completing this elusive goal.

I think the idea that Walt Disney wanted the Fair site was the combination of a few different factors. It was becoming more and more of an open secret that Disney was looking at doing something on the East Coast, many wrongly assuming and desiring a second Disneyland. Moses by this time was very powerful and not used to schmoozing, did not spend time courting the executives sponsoring the Fair, but did show some deference to Walt Disney and did say that the Fair would not open without Lincoln. There was also the short lived Freedomland USA (1960 - 1964) in the Bronx, developed by C. V. Wood, who was involved in the opening of Disneyland.

Also, in order for Disney to have been looking at the Fair site means that he did not scout and buy so much land in Florida intending to build EPCOT, but instead saw/bought a lot of land and then came to the idea of building a city.

Dinardo

I too have heard about Walt Disney World being located near New Orleans - I grew up on the LA/MS line and there has always been a rumor down here that Walt Disney had looked at the area where Stennis Space Center is now (Hancock County, MS).

I guess the OP, being from New Orleans, and my being from the area must have heard from the same mouth at some point. I am sure we are not the only ones from down this way who have heard it as well.

I wish he had - It would be a much shorter drive!

lazyboy97o

I too have heard about Walt Disney World being located near New Orleans - I grew up on the LA/MS line and there has always been a rumor down here that Walt Disney had looked at the area where Stennis Space Center is now (Hancock County, MS).

I guess the OP, being from New Orleans, and my being from the area must have heard from the same mouth at some point. I am sure we are not the only ones from down this way who have heard it as well.

And I have a friend from Jamaica who also had somebody tell him that Walt Disney looked at a property down there. The company also supposedly looked at pretty much every town in Texas. Just because somebody says Walt Disney looked at a property does not make it true. The idea of Walt Disney meandering the country looking for sights fits nowhere into what is known about the detailed and methodical work carried out by Harrison "Buzz" Price and his teams.

R W B

Original Poster
Very interesting question... huh.

I think Walt Disney was a person who very much pursued the things he was interested in. He had personal interest in trains, midwestern towns, technology, animals, the writings of Mark Twain, even urban planning... and all of these things crept into Disneyland as elements of the park, which he more or less built as his own personal utopia, a monument to all he held dear in the world. Walt also showed he also had a broader interest in Americana, as well as anything exotic, and few would argue against New Orleans' place as a city that is both an American treasure historically and culturally (the birthplace of jazz, the atmosphere of streetcars and wrought-iron balconies, its cuisine), while simultaneously being one of the most exotic cities within the United States (French, African, and Spanish-influenced culture, with a touch of pirates and voodoo thrown in for good measure). Walt also repeatedly showed an interest in the Old South, particularly through films such as Song of the South, possibly because of the sort of mythos of elegance of gentility that the region had developed, a fantasy which perhaps meshed well with all the other fantasies Disney portrayed. New Orleans could be seen as the sort of cultural epicenter of this idea, and bringing a New Orleans land to Disneyland could be seen as a way to compactly bringing that setting and feel to his park......

....Sorry about the length - just two subjects which I care a lot about...
No need to apologize for that post. I spend alot of time on alot of different forums and that was one of the best replies i've ever read. So much back ground in it and detail I read it a few times. Great response and thank you for it.

Thank you, Mardi Gras season was definitely a fun time and as always, went out with style yesterday, lol.

Well since WDW is not here in NOLA, i'm glad its in Florida, great weather and just a great location for a park thats meant to be open everyday. I just dont see that possible in St. Louis or NYC.

R W B

Original Poster

I know I heard he looked at the N.O. East area. To be honest, I heard this atleast a few years ago and I cant remember who told me.

lazyboy97o said:
And I have a friend from Jamaica who also had somebody tell him that Walt Disney looked at a property down there. The company also supposedly looked at pretty much every town in Texas. Just because somebody says Walt Disney looked at a property does not make it true. The idea of Walt Disney meandering the country looking for sights fits nowhere into what is known about the detailed and methodical work carried out by Harrison "Buzz" Price and his teams.
Do you really have a friend from Jamaica who told you that? I'm willing to bet you dont. While your first post was informative (Thank You) I'm not looking for sarcasm like in your second post, that provides no help to the topic. Even if I did not live in New Orleans I would still think it would be more believable to think he was interested in building his park in New Orleans then, lets say Lubbock, TX. I have read a bunch of other rumors of other cities too but almost all of them have no credibility to back them up.

Wilt Dasney

Even if I did not live in New Orleans I would still think it would be more believable to think he was interested in building his park in New Orleans then, lets say Lubbock, TX.
When you consider that Anaheim and Orlando were nothing before Disney, it seems that Walt's approach was to look for places that weren't really developed...lots of land at a good price and so on.

I'm not sure how amenable New Orleans or any "real" city would have been to a Disney park.

Huglife

I've just returned from my first trip to NOLA and I must say I found it odd that Disney themed so much around the French Quarter, specifically Bourbon Street, considering how adult oriented it it.

mightynine

I too have heard the same rumors, that Disney was looking in southeast Louisiana for a spot, more around the Denham Springs area.

What many people who don't live in New Orleans don't realize is that the city itself is really small compared to other cities, with a lot of open space nearby and all around southeast LA.

New Orleans East could've been an potential spot, because it was only recently developed. Go even farther out and there's tons of empty space, especially if you start going towards the Northshore and along I-10 towards Baton Rouge.

Those same rumors all say that the prices jacked up once people figured out it was Disney.

lazyboy97o

Do you really have a friend from Jamaica who told you that? I'm willing to bet you dont.
I really do and it really happened.

While your first post was informative (Thank You) I'm not looking for sarcasm like in your second post, that provides no help to the topic. Even if I did not live in New Orleans I would still think it would be more believable to think he was interested in building his park in New Orleans then, lets say Lubbock, TX.
What sarcasm? Buzz Price has talked a lot about his work for Disney in scouting out the locations of both Disneyland and Disney World. He was the one doing the real looking, not Walt Disney.

I have read a bunch of other rumors of other cities too but almost all of them have no credibility to back them up.
I'm not sure how amenable New Orleans or any "real" city would have been to a Disney park.
What many people who don't live in New Orleans don't realize is that the city itself is really small compared to other cities, with a lot of open space nearby and all around southeast LA.

New Orleans East could've been an potential spot, because it was only recently developed. Go even farther out and there's tons of empty space, especially if you start going towards the Northshore and along I-10 towards Baton Rouge.

Those same rumors all say that the prices jacked up once people figured out it was Disney.
The problem with all of these statements is that they discuss Walt Disney looking for a place to build a second park. Walt Disney did not buy land in Florida to build a second park, he bought it to build EPCOT. From nearly all accounts Walt's focus for Florida was totally on EPCOT with the second park being a concession to the financiers. Design work on the Magic Kingdom did not start until 1967, after Walt Disney was dead. The "EPCOT Film" uses a roof plan of Disneyland for what became the Magic Kingdom, and it is barely discussed. With all of that, why would Disney be looking at New Orleans for a second park?

R W B

Original Poster
I've just returned from my first trip to NOLA and I must say I found it odd that Disney themed so much around the French Quarter, specifically Bourbon Street, considering how adult oriented it it.
The French Quarter wasnt always like it is today. I'm willing to bet you were here for Mardi Gras which if so means that about 80% of the people you saw were like you down there, tourists, lol. But yes, Bourbon St is definitely not kid friendly now, its very much adult oriented.

I too have heard the same rumors, that Disney was looking in southeast Louisiana for a spot, more around the Denham Springs area.

Yes, New Orleans is considered a "big city" but its really not, lol. The Metro area is a fully developed urban environment but size wise, its really not that big compared to other big cities.

I really do and it really happened.

What sarcasm? Buzz Price has talked a lot about his work for Disney in scouting out the locations of both Disneyland and Disney World. He was the one doing the real looking, not Walt Disney.

The problem with all of these statements is that they discuss Walt Disney looking for a place to build a second park. Walt Disney did not buy land in Florida to build a second park, he bought it to build EPCOT. From nearly all accounts Walt's focus for Florida was totally on EPCOT with the second park being a concession to the financiers. Design work on the Magic Kingdom did not start until 1967, after Walt Disney was dead. The "EPCOT Film" uses a roof plan of Disneyland for what became the Magic Kingdom, and it is barely discussed. With all of that, why would Disney be looking at New Orleans for a second park?
Well, first of all, I apologize for not believing you really had a friend in Jamaica that said that. The sarcasm was meant at the Jamaica friend comment, not the Buzz Price comment.

I dont recall hearing that he was looking for a place here for a second park or just EPCOT. I do know that it was after his death that they decided to do another Magic Kingdom at WDW. My opening post wasn't particularly about WDW, it could of very easily been just EPCOT he was looking to build here. Maybe I should of said, Walt's second property or not been so specific about it being WDW.

lazyboy97o

I dont recall hearing that he was looking for a place here for a second park or just EPCOT. I do know that it was after his death that they decided to do another Magic Kingdom at WDW. My opening post wasn't particularly about WDW, it could of very easily been just EPCOT he was looking to build here. Maybe I should of said, Walt's second property or not been so specific about it being WDW.
The decision to build a park was before his death. And again, why would Walt be looking when he had Buzz Price? If, being in New Orleans, you heard about a project on the Mississippi would you not assume that means near New Orleans?

The EPCOT Film

Huglife

I was actually there right before Mardi Gras. I have a friend who is there for law school and flights were cheap. I can't imagine things were much different when POFQ was built but then again I don't know much about the city.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom