Disney and McDonald's worst performing DOW stocks...

MattM

...in case anyone missed the closing bell. :)

So...?

45031357.png

MattM

Epicpilot

Meh. Every day the markets close at "new record highs" - yet the economy is still in the sh*tter and unemployment is still >8%. It's all BS.
Unemployment is at ~7%. Though you may not be noticing it, the economy recovery has been picking up steam. The housing market is climbing rapidly, unemployment is down, manufacturing is up, consumer confidence and spending is up, and the "new record highs" are real. The Europe is still stuck In the sh*tter, the U.S. is starting to climb out of it. The economy has changed this year for the best, and there is a reason for why stocks are reaching record highs.

MattM

Unemployment is at ~7%. Though you may not be noticing it, the economy recovery has been picking up steam. The housing market is climbing rapidly, unemployment is down, manufacturing is up, consumer confidence and spending is up, and the "new record highs" are real. The Europe is still stuck In the sh*tter, the U.S. is starting to climb out of it. The economy has changed this year for the best, and there is a reason for why stocks are reaching record highs.

Well, we all know unemployment is way higher than 7% when You include those who haven given up looking and have exhausted their unemployment benefits. Whats going to happen when they reenter the workforce?

Companies are doing ok, but eventually they're going to have to start making money faster than they're cutting expenses. Is this rally real? Who knows. But it's making a lot of people a lot of money right now.

BoarderPhreak

The economy is enjoying a bit of an uptick on general indicators, but that's nothing to get excited about yet. We need to see sustained growth in all areas, not just a blip. And MattM's right; 7% is a bit disingenuous.

The people making money are not on Main Street USA - they're on Wall Street USA. ;)

BoarderPhreak

I've always had a problem with that comparison. I know a candidate made it popular, but what people fail to realize (or willfully ignore) is that Main Street invests in Wall Street. (Not directed at you, @BoarderPhreak, just a general observation).
While I agree with what you're saying; it's an easy phrase that rolls off the tongue... Keep in mind too that a LOT of the "Main Street USA" crowd is "middle America", blue collar, often low(er) income, etc. Not much investing going on there - more like struggling to put food on the table and stay employed at the town's only big factory/farm/plant. So there's at least a grain of truth to the phrase. But yeah, "Main Street USA" probably doesn't apply to you or I.

MattM

While I agree with what you're saying; it's an easy phrase that rolls off the tongue... Keep in mind too that a LOT of the "Main Street USA" crowd is "middle America", blue collar, often low(er) income, etc. Not much investing going on there - more like struggling to put food on the table and stay employed at the town's only big factory/farm/plant. So there's at least a grain of truth to the phrase. But yeah, "Main Street USA" probably doesn't apply to you or I.

That's fair. I'm not saying Wall Street is an innocent victim by any means. I'm more referring to those employed by public companies, for example, and have their 401k's (or whatever vehicle) invested. But I understand what you're saying too.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
There are only 30 companies on the DOW, following that index as a market gauge is mistake number one. Two, it is just one day, look at a trailing 6 months to a year.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
image_zps2434df9c.jpg

Look at DIS vs S&P (I put DOW on as well but that is an inaccurate indicator of the market)... Disney is doing pretty well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom