Disney and Jon Favreau Joining Forces on “The Lion King”

FutureCEO

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand...Lion King is my favorite Disney animated movie...on the other hand....this is still animated (CGI). On the third hand...I never saw The Jungle Book in theaters because I thought the animals looked too big.

ForeverAnna

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand...Lion King is my favorite Disney animated movie...on the other hand....this is still animated (CGI). On the third hand...I never saw The Jungle Book in theaters because I thought the animals looked too big.

Your last concern shouldn't be a problem as there are no humans in The Lion King.

Fox&Hound

I'm just afraid it will be too much. Disney needs to pick and choose which movies to give the "live action" treatment to. It seems like every animated movie is headed this way and that scares me. Anyone remember the days of "Cinderella 2" and "Fox and the Hound 2"?????

ShoalFox

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I'm just afraid it will be too much. Disney needs to pick and choose which movies to give the "live action" treatment to. It seems like every animated movie is headed this way and that scares me. Anyone remember the days of "Cinderella 2" and "Fox and the Hound 2"?????
I was fairly young during those days, but I do remember hearing about sequel after sequel back then. I'm honestly amazed more people are NOT seeing the parallels between that era and this one.

erasure fan1

Like all the other remakes, I have no desire to see this. I loved Lion King but fail to see how changing the medium does anything to make the movie better.

Magenta Panther

The thing is...the Jungle Book had a real human interacting with all of the CGI animals, which grounded the film and made the synthetic animals seem more real. The Lion King will have all-CGI "realistic" animals talking to each other. I hate to dismiss this, since Jungle Book turned out so great, but...yeah...I'm skeptical.

Bairstow

?
it_doesn_t_matter_it_s_in_the_past_by_vshen-dajjbow.jpg

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Casting has started! - http://ew.com/movies/2017/02/17/donald-glover-simba-lion-king-disney-live-action/

Donald Glover is set to play the rambunctious cub-prince Simba in Disney’s live-action re-imagining of The Lion King, EW has confirmed.

Director Jon Favreau revealed the casting Friday on social media, along with the news that James Earl Jones will once again portray Mufasa, reprising his role as the ruler of Pride Rock from the 1994 animated movie.

Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 9.10.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-17 at 9.09.50 PM.png

Last edited:

TyTrap

I wonder if they tried to contact Jonathan Taylor Thomas to reprise his role. I wouldn't be surprised if they did and he turned down the offer.

Princess Leia

Casting has started! - http://ew.com/movies/2017/02/17/donald-glover-simba-lion-king-disney-live-action/

Donald Glover is set to play the rambunctious cub-prince Simba in Disney’s live-action re-imagining of The Lion King, EW has confirmed.

Director Jon Favreau revealed the casting Friday on social media, along with the news that James Earl Jones will once again portray Mufasa, reprising his role as the ruler of Pride Rock from the 1994 animated movie.

View attachment 190314 View attachment 190315
As much as I love Don Glover and James Earl Jones... there is still no need to remake The Lion King. None. I'm sure the voice cast will be amazing, but we don't need this. :grumpy:

Princess Leia

"Live-action" in this case just means Photorealistic Animation.
Still an animated remake. Might as well get Jeremy Irons to be Scar, Rowan Atkinson to be Zazu, Nathan Lane to be Timon, and Ernie Sabella to be Pumbaa.

I really have no idea why Disney is choosing to remake this movie. What is there to change? If they're planning on keeping the music from the original film, this is solely a cash grab :greedy:. Iger has learned nothing from Eisner's sequel-itis that started in the 90s. While some of the early sequels ranged from 'okay' to 'pretty okay', eventually there were diminishing returns in quality (do not get me started on the Pocahontas and Hunchback sequels).

However, if the plan is to do something new with the material... Go ahead. Be bold and creative. Really enforce the Hamlet narrative. I enjoyed The Jungle Book because I was genuinely surprised with some of the changes. It wasn't like watching the original.

Before I ramble on for too long, I just want to boil it down to this question: what will this version of the movie provide that the original and the Broadway musical cannot (other than Childish Gambino)?

Princess Leia

Californian Elitist

Love Bey, but I don't need this remake.

Makes me wonder if they'll be adding the Madness of King Scar to this then, because it gave Nala a bit more to do (even though that song is creepy af).

Also, if they're really making this, is someone in talks with Jeremy Irons? He is the only Scar for me.

I'm not for this remake either right now.

So far, the voice roles have been going to Black Americans, so I wouldn't be surprised if Jeremy Irons isn't being looked at to reprise his role as Scar. I do love his velvety voice. I think Beyoncé's deep and soft voice would actually be nice for Nala's character, however this entire project as a whole just isn't sitting well with me. The Lion King should have been the one film they shouldn't have touched.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom