Disney adds more Orange Team capacity at Mission SPACE

ChrisM

I get that "not everyone likes spinning" and they had originally done this to accommodate folks who didn't want the intense ride. But I always found that to be extremely lame. You don't have a version of Space Mountain that is just a flat track. just like you don't have a version of Winnie the pooh that is actually a roller coaster. Not all attractions are for everyone. You don't like drops, you don't go on tower of terror. You don't like simulators or spinning, don't go on Mission: Space. They certainly have enough warnings ahead of time...

It is sort of lame, but it's also nice to have the option given that it's a relatively minor operational change that is easy to implement, broadens the potential rider pool, and doesn't really impact the ride itself other than possible longer waits.

Speaking only for myself, my son has a congenital heart defect that prevents him from being able to ride MS: Orange (or rollercoasters). Green is a really nice option for us...and actually a little wilder than I expected it to be.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Every time I get in line for this attraction, the Orange team is always a longer wait than the green team. The green team hasn't ever really gone past a 20 minute wait in any of my visits. So I can see how this would make sense.

montyz81

I only rode Orange once in 2003, and it made me not feel right. I always ride green(I thought it was a great addition). I wish Star Tours had a similar option.
It was all Orange in 2003. Green started in 2006.
I rode this ride once. I vowed never to ride it again. MS and Imagination are two pavilions that I avoid when at Disney World

MonorailLover

I find it fascinating that I don't usually do well with spinning but my perception of the orange side was of G forces rather than spinning.
That's what the centrifugal system is supposed to do. Once you actually start spinning, it simulates G's, and removes the spinning feeling. You CAN feel it spinning when it starts, but only for about 2-3 seconds, after that, you're taking off...

Mouse_Trap

I've only ever rode 'Orange' and never realised it spun until people on here told me.

I thought it was just a very tame flight sim. Have been on it since and still can't work out what the fuss is about, to me its incredibly tame.

Perhaps they should scrap green - it is a ride afterall, and introduce black, where the effects are dialled up to max.

Incomudro

I've only ever ridden orange out of a sort of non wimp thing.
But I do have some feelings of nausea (not imminent nausea :eek:) when I ride this thing.
The Dumbo rides or Teacups would bring on imminent nausea for me - I don't like spinning.
Still don't like that feeling of weightlessness.
Anyway, this ride amazed the heck out of the family when we first rode it.

hokielutz

I've never done orange and have only done green once. I don't do well with motion rides, so this is one I skip at Epcot. I wonder if the queue line for orange has been long and this is a way to shorten the wait. And as Phil stated, getting ready for Soarin' to get shut down.

Over the last several years.... its been my observation that the Queues for each team (past the 2nd FP checkpoint) the Green team rarely has a wait and Orange is usually full. So this change makes sense, but probably not as easy to implement as flipping a switch..... or could it?

KrazyKat

Great. Now give it an update so its different every time.
I agree 100%.

I know this ride gets put down a lot but I really enjoy this attraction and is a must do for me personally every time I go to Epcot. I always do the orange side so I do like this addition because the line is always long and my family, that doesn't ride it for various reasons, always has to wait a while ( I tell them go ride something else and I'll catch up but they always go to the play area after the ride to wait for me). Updated CGI and different Mars missions would be sweet!

Next Big Thing

Over the last several years.... its been my observation that the Queues for each team (past the 2nd FP checkpoint) the Green team rarely has a wait and Orange is usually full. So this change makes sense, but probably not as easy to implement as flipping a switch..... or could it?
The green side was implemented after a series of deaths (I believe 2 or so) on the ride. Those that died had pre-existing conditions and the G-forces from the ride just exasperated those conditions.

But anyway, that's why the Green side was introduced.

Biff215

So how did they do this, Was there some Orange which was offline or is Green actually Orange without the centrifuge being activated?
The green side was originally orange. Main change is no spinning with the effects being simulated with simple movements of the cab. There have always been four centrifuges. Currently 2 green 2 orange, soon to be 3 orange 1 green.

Biff215

But if you can offer both experiences and people want the option, why would you limit your guests?

I have ridden both orange and green and didn't find them too much different. I find it fascinating that I don't usually do well with spinning but my perception of the orange side was of G forces rather than spinning. Star tours, on the other hand, I am fine close to the middle of the seating area but out at the edges it bothers me.
Agreed. Great that they offer a tamer version which opens this attraction up to many more guests. Hope the green line doesn't get crazy long, but that is typically a short line. It will be interesting how much it affects things.

RSoxNo1

I don't go on this ride that often, but I haven't been on the more intense version in years. I was under the impression that they would configure this previously so that the Green Team always had the lower wait time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom