Disney’s RFID "Magic Band" arrives on the FCC

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
Here it is, what we've all been waiting for...

image1.png

From Wirelessgoodness.com -

A peculiar device from Walt Disney Parks and Resorts made an appearance on the FCC today. Known as the “Magic Band,” the device is a wrist-worn, battery-powered device that operates in the 2.4GHz spectrum.

So what’s it for? We’re not exactly sure. FCC filings confirm that the Magic Band, model MB-R1G1, is a “wrist worn arm band that transmits a 2.4GHz signal to an indoor wireless infrastructure.” The device’s PCB board is “potted in plastic and completely overmolded with thermal plastic polyurethane.” It also appears that the Magic Band is disposable, since it has no on/off switch and relies on a non-replaceable battery. The Magic Band also has a passive UHF RFID tag radio and a passive HF RFID tag radio.

It seems likely that the Magic Band will be used to provide wears with access to certain parts of Walt Disney parks and resorts. Since the band is sealed and presumably water proof, the Magic Band could be a good solution for Disney’s water parks.

maryszhi

looks snazy, but also not very comfortable. i think it might be something that you can open your resort room, enter a park, get a fastpass, and make purchases with out fiddling around looking for your key....

Lee

Adventurer
looks snazy, but also not very comfortable. i think it might be something that you can open your resort room, enter a park, get a fastpass, and make purchases with out fiddling around looking for your key....
Yep. That's part of it.

Figments Friend

- Thanks for the photo....it looks pretty snazzy.
It also looks a lot more *restrained* then i was imagining it might look, in regards to it not having loud colorful graphics all over it. This looks pretty non-intrusive visually.

Bolna

strange, the text on the right side next to the band is German and translates into "pull away (remove) for smaller size".

AVPTI

Personally, as a WDW fan who can only visit once a year, I think the bracelets and having all your "info" on your wrist is smart. Maybe they could offer other options than a bracelet, I don't know what, but I'm sure someone can think of other options.

The one bad aspect of the what the bracelets mean is the whole planning your FastPass in advance. If they just kept the current system, but implemented RFID instead of paper, it would be better. But what do I know...

Clever Name

It will be all of that and a lot more. It will be your everything. You won't get a fastpass because it will be your fastpass. Biometric finger scans will be history.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom