Discovery Island

DarkMeasures said:
Ok, I just did a search and some confusion was clarified to me. I have construction photos of Bay Lake but I just found out that the whole lake was drained when Disney bought the property. This was done to clean out the lake and I also found that the white sand used for the beaches at all the resorts came from the bottom of Bay Lake.

I have yet to find info about the family but you are right about Bay Lake.
Do you have a link to those bay pictures so we can see them. And that's an awesome fact about the sand in all the resorts was from the bottom of bay lake. >_>;; Although, that is a lot of sand.

4EverDisney said:
I had also heard of a family that lived there so I did a little research and found this......

Discovery Island was originally called Treasure Island. The island in Disney's Bay Lake, near the River Country water park, was named Raz Island from 1900 to 1937, after a family that lived there. The island also was the home of Florida's first radio disc jockey, Radio Nick, in the late 1930s, according to "Since The World Began," a history of Walt Disney World. Disney bought the island, which was a hunting retreat at the time, in 1965. When opened as Treasure Island, it was Disney World's second attraction, following the 1971 opening of the Magic Kingdom.
Good job on the research!! I heard something about Raz island a while back from some friends of mine I think. Someone ask dave!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom