Disappointed by Disney

FutureCEO

Original Poster
Disappointed by Disney

Walt Disney World College Program not a magical experience for students

By Erin Beatty
Kansan staff writer

Tony Vyhanek said he thought his Disney World internship would teach him leadership skills and allow him to make connections at a large, well-respected corporation.

Instead, he spent four months selling egg rolls at Disney-MGM Studios for $6 an hour, making no professional connections.

“It was disappointing from an internship standpoint,” said Vyhanek, an Overland Park senior studying business.

Vyhanek worked at Disney World in Orlando, Fla., during Spring 2001 as part of the Walt Disney World College Program.

Some students enjoyed their Disney internship. They said they met people from around the world, received free admission to the Disney parks and learned about the hospitality industry.

Others, like Vyhanek, expected more. These students said the pay was too low, the work was boring and they didn´t get an opportunity to shadow Disney employees.

The Walt Disney World College Program, which began in 1980, offers college students “a unique living, learning and earning experience” working at Disney World. The program provides paid positions at theme parks and resorts and offers educational classes and seminars for about 6,000 students each year.

Disney representatives recruit interns at 350 schools each fall and spring. Twenty-eight KU students have been offered Disney internships for next semester, according to University Career and Employment Services.

Program recruiters offer “a magical time in a magical place” to college students, as well as the opportunity to network with employees of a successful Fortune 500 company.

Molly Griffith participated in the program during Fall 2000 and is a member of the Walt Disney World College Program Alumni Association. The Stillwater, Minn., senior is one of six college program recruiters at KU.

“We all loved the program and we all wanted to stay involved with Disney at KU,” Griffith said.

But not all participants found the experience magical.

Beth Ann Allison, a sophomore at Emporia State University, participated in the program in Spring 2001 and went home after two months.

She said she lived in a three-bedroom apartment with five girls whom she didn't like and worked as a merchandise hostess on Main Street at the Magic Kingdom.

She said she was promised 40 hours a week at her job but worked only 25 to 30 hours. For Allison and other students, it was tough to pay for groceries, gas and rent.

“You spend all the money you make on food and Disney souvenirs,” said Emilie Norvell, a junior at Murray State University in Murray, Ky. “So it´s like Disney gets all its money back.”

Allison said she didn´t have much spending money and could only go out one night a week, when admission was free at Pleasure Island for “cast members,” or employees.

She also didn´t like her job selling glass, art and animation sketches, or cells. Allison said she was often the only worker at the store and knew nothing about the art. She said she wasn´t qualified to answer shoppers´ questions.

Allison asked her managers more than once if she could switch jobs, but they would not let her.

A Disney World employment assistant said interns were not allowed to switch jobs once they began working because they already had been told three times what their jobs would be.

“The recruiter tells you, they tell you in the interview, and in your acceptance letter,” said Michelle, who would not give her last name. “Here at Disney, we´re a first-name company. We don´t give our last names out.”

Disney surveys interns to get feedback but doesn´t disclose the results, Michelle said.

Jeff Tasset is a Disney college recruiter and has recruited at KU for three years. During his September presentation, he said interns were guaranteed 30 to 45 hours of work per week.

Interns live in apartment complexes provided by the company and their rent, which ranges from $67 to $79 per person per week, is automatically deducted from their paychecks, he said.

Tasset did not respond to subsequent calls or e-mails.

Common student jobs — or “roles,” as Disney calls them — include working in quick-service food and beverage; full-service food and beverage; merchandise; operations, which includes attractions, park greeters and parking; custodial; lifeguarding and hospitality. The pay is $6 an hour.

There is no set minimum wage in Florida, but $6 an hour is less than the minimum wage in eight states, according to U.S. Department of Labor statistics.

Norvell worked in quick-service food and beverage at Disney-MGM Studios during Spring 2001.

“I worked selling ice cream at `The Dip Cart,´ also known as `Hell on Earth,´” she said. “They made it sound so glamorous, but it was not what it seemed.”

Norvell said she worked long hours in the sun, wearing an apron and hot polyester pants.

The costume was not the worst part for Norvell. As a dance minor, she wanted to shadow Disney dancers.

“They told me I would be able to shadow and make connections, so I tried several times to shadow Beauty and the Beast dancers,” Norvell said. “But I asked at least three people for the chance to shadow, and I was never able to.”

Whether interns have the opportunity to shadow depends largely on their individual managers, said Disney World employee Cameron Meier.

“It really is the luck of the draw,” Meier said.

Kendra Merino, Disney college recruiting coordinator, said recruiters stopped telling students a year ago that they would be able to shadow employees.

“Now we tell them that they can `network´ with employees,” she said. “We have networking events for students to meet people from different areas of Disney.”

She said if students wanted to network with employees, it was their responsibility to take the initiative.

Brian Edwards said he was never able to shadow Disney employees during his internship. He said he asked three or four times to shadow someone in the business or the marketing department, but it never happened.

“It was just a sales pitch,” said Edwards, a junior studying finance at the University of Central Florida in Orlando.

Edwards worked as a lifeguard at the Yacht Club Resort and the Beach Club Resort from May 2001 until January 2002.

“As interns, we were like the bottom of the food chain there,” he said.

He said he was frustrated with 10-hour shifts, working holidays and not having scheduling input.

“I hated the work experience,” Edwards said. “It was like exploited labor.”

Brea Baumann said the internship was not the best job she ever had, but it was fun.

She worked as a lifeguard at the Grand Floridian Resort & Spa from August 2001 until January 2002.

“It was the most mind-numbing job I´ve ever had,” said Baumann, a Clearwater senior studying business at KU, “but I had so much fun down there. The work stinks, but the tradeoff is worth it.”

She said it was a good experience to learn about herself and to realize she could live on her own.

Meier, the Disney World employee, participated in the college program in 1992. He enjoyed the program so much that he did the internship three times and went on to be full-time, working as an attractions coordinator for seven years.

“I would recommend the internship to people who love Disney and want a fun experience,” said Meier, a KU graduate. “I wouldn´t recommend it to people who want to make a lot of money.”

What he made in the early 1990s was not much different from the $6 an hour interns receive today, he said.

“People have complained about the intern pay not increasing more throughout the years,” Meier said.

KU career coordinator Gail Rooney said potential employers probably considered the Disney internship to be valuable work experience, especially employers looking to hire students for sales, customer service and management.

But she did warn that students interested in the internship should understand exactly what they would be doing at Disney.

“You need to look realistically at the program and figure out if it's a good match for you,” Rooney said.

Edwards said he had a different view of Disney after working there as a lifeguard.

“Being a Disney employee definitely ruined the magic,” he said.

DisneyCP2000

Well, I guess you can't please em all :rolleyes: The program isn't for everyone.

Anywhooo, I still think it was one of the greatest thing I've ever done. So what, the pay sucks...but networking and experience is what you make out of it. You need to take initiative and get the ball rolling. If the boss won't do it go to thier boss. I was friends with all my bosses and they did everything they could to help me out with shadowing someone! There's so much more I would comment on but it would only turn out to be a 5 page essay :lol:

One last thing...one my roommate's left the program after 2 months because he thought it was boring. "Been there, done that, I'm outta here". Well he quit the CP and went to his uncle's in Southern FL. After a couple of weeks he wanted back in again because he missed the place. Well guess what...he was out for good and couldn't get back in. I knew plenty of people who wanted out but stuck to it. In the long run they ended up enjoying thier internship and didn't regret it at all.

orangefan15

I find this article interesting. I agree with the "can't please 'em all" analysis...however, it seems that some campus recruiters are misleading students about the program. Calling the position an "internship" seems a little like stretching the truth to me. I don't go work at my friendly local store selling t-shirts and call that an internship (and no, size of company really shouldn't matter...selling t-shirts is selling t-shirts). Don't get me wrong, I think its a great opportunity and I looked into the program, but I don't think kids should be mislead about what it entails.

TURKEY

As far as not getting enough hours, all that would take is a call or visit to the College Program offices. I know several people (including roommates) that weren't getting the guaranteed hours. One call solved that problem.

As a recruiter, I won't lie to people interested in the program. I tell them you don't make much money and don't get the best schedule or days off. I tell them what I feel they should know and what the good and bad is.

I find it funny how the person is made to buy food and souvineers. I took food with me most days, I bought food at the cast cafeterias, and cooked. I didn't eat from the Disney restaurants that much. I made my budgets about how much food and souvineers I could buy per week. It worked out well until the last few weeks where I went overboard and came home with about $400 in credit card debt.

As far as it being an internship, I think it is. At my work location, I learned a great deal from just the work. I was able to shadow and learn from my managers. I also took advantage of the opportunities that were offered, not only for CPers but for all CM. I also took CP classes. It envolved EFFORT ON MY PART. These things weren't given to me. I used networking to get to where I wanted to be. Nothing fell into my lap. That's the most important thing I tell prospective people. Make the most of your opportunities, because they are there but it's your job to use them.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
If you think it's bad for the CP's, the international program has it even worse

MKCustodial

Originally posted by mktiggerman
If you think it's bad for the CP's, the international program has it even worse

You got that right. But again, it's about perspectives. To us, they make it perfectly clear from the start that, if we're in for the money, stay home, it's not about the money. Other than that, I was offered to shadow my managers. I just didn't take it because it had nothing to do with me, I was there for the fun of it. It was a lot of work, and a lot of money (we have to pay for airfare and health insurance) in dollars, which only make it harder. But many people that went with me got back with a lot of money, and many extended after the program was over and went to NY for fun. These people were intent on saving, so they'd trade in their days-off and would work extra hours whenever possible. I stayed extra if I was asked to do so, and took my days-off as assigned. I also didn't stuff myself with snack-food, like those people in the article seem to have done. I always tried to eat regular food at the Mouseketeria every day, and only resorted to sandwiches if the food didn't appeal to me, like the days when it was Cajun food. Some people may think it's expensive, but I've worked downtown here in Brazil, and you barely have time to find a good place to eat, let alone search for good prices, and I had to resort to McDonald's every time. SO I was really glad I could get black beans and rice and beef at Disney! Any Brazilian would! :lol: I had a lot of fun and would do it again in a second.

Any questions? :D Of course, our International Program is different from those countries that have representatives in World Showcase, I believe, so Maria can maybe set some differences from both our programs.

masterv

FutureCEO said:
“You spend all the money you make on food and Disney souvenirs,” said Emilie Norvell, a junior at Murray State University in Murray, Ky. “So it´s like Disney gets all its money back.”
GO MURRAY STATE RACERS! :D (I'm a MSU Alumni)

Anyway, I had the opportunity to do the program too until I found out all the little details from others who had been that they DON'T tell you in the interview. They painted this great picture like you would learn so much but in the end all you were was another minimum wage employee working a summer job. I heard people who came back so broken from the experience and actually HATED Disney. I think the program is nothing more than to exploit young people for cheap labor.

se8472

GenerationX said:
That, my friend, is the best definition of "internship" I've ever seen!

Yeah I think a lot of people miss that.

But how I loved my program. I would never change a thing about it. But I always tell people in the program that its all about what you put into it. I know people that had the worst roommate and the worst roles and they didn't want to leave.

I don't know how people didn't find people they where looking for in order to network and what not. I talked with the head of animals several times and my roommate got to run around the everest site.

But I mean how can people conplain about the pay...most interships don't pay anything! and you still have to pay for you place to stay and eat.

In terms of hours...I was always given more the 30 hours...heck I was usually in the 40's and always broke 100 bucks...but most of my money did go back into disney. I don't know how you can conplain that you you spent your money on disney stuff...I ment you SPENT your money on disney stuff

AND what is with this...I only have enought money to go out once a week....!

I ALWAYS had enought money to do everything I wanted....including buy gifts for everyone during christmas.

And I know from being a T-land person...both christmas and thanksgiving the full-timers and peeps cooked us dinner that we got to eat in the alien pre-show area.

Pixie Duster

Life is what you make of it.
YOU create the opportunities. YOU must get the professional connections. The first lesson in business is YOU must be the one to make things happen.

Atta83

There were so many things wrong in that article that I could not believe!!!! They only picked out the students who hated it and such. I loved my program and for the not having any money, i left with a very nice sum of money. I mean i did not always work 40 hours a week ,but that did not bother me. They have transportation so you dont have to use your car and waste gas so that saves you money right there. They have buses to take you to Wal-Mart, and I am a wal-Mart shopper, just ask Dave. The thing is you have to have self control with money and most of the kids I saw on the program when I did it did not have to pay for a lot of things. I have always had bigger arrangments to pay for, like a car note (which I just paid off GO ME!). Its all in your attitude when you go to work for Disney. If you have a bad attitude then you are not going to have fun. If you have a fun positive attitude you are going to make it in the company. And networking does work sometimes..

Pixie Duster

Ok you want me to be honest, I am getting sick of savedisney.com. It was good at first, but now it seems to be who can out complain the other. Welcome to Big Business kids, it's hard to deal with, and yes some areas and managers do not care about the CMs, but they are few and far between. There are things that have gone wrong, but for God sakes Disney is not in a state of emergency.

And once again being a CP is an internship, it's a pay your dues sort of thing. And if you want to be involved in learning and such you gotta do it yourself that is how buisness is...

EDIT: I know I am being a little negative here, I am just venting, sorry.

and well said Atta, Dave misses you :)

se8472

Pixie Duster said:
There are things that have gone wrong, but for God sakes Disney is not in a state of emergency.

Good, I thought I was the only one who felt that way. Very well put.

The way I feel, some people are like...

"My popcorn wasn't salted right, Eisner must have given it to me"

wth!

MKCustodial

True. We may not agree with many things, like the lack of quick fixes and careless hiring of CMs, but things definately aren't as "doomsday" as many like to put.

PhotoDave219

Thats one of the worst written articles ive seen.

As a former managing editor of a collegeg paper, i wouldnt have run it. Its rather one sides. It lacked balance and wasnt particularly well written. It didn't flow.

As for CP's, its with any job - You get out of it what you put into it. My Dept has a manager who was a former CP and a CoWorker who's a former CP. Theyve turned out fine.....

Captain Hank

It just seems that the students were cast in all of the wrong roles. The one who said she wanted to shadow Disney entertainment should have gone for a character role. It looks like they didn't do much (if any) research about the program, and were in it just for the climate and free admission. (sorry if this sounds pessimistic) I've already researched the roles that would best fit and benefit me, and I already have some experience working for the company at the Disney Store. I know that the pay isn't great going in. More than anything, I'm doing it for the experience. I just hope that all this, and making contact with as many people down there as possible during my CP, translates into a successful CP experience. [crosses fingers]

I also agree that the article was very poorly written and one-sided.

Atta83

The one thing about the person who wanted to shadow an entertainer was something that was not going to happen on her program. She was assigned that position and that was in her contract that she could not change it. Now if she really wanted to be in entertainment she would of done what a lot of other CP's have done and that is to wait for the character audition and try out before her internship ended. Now if she got the role she could of extended and could be in entertainment. It seems to me that they did not try their hardest to find the best possible outcome and gave up rather quickly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom