Disability Discussion

heychadwick

Hi All,

I've got a bad ankle from falling off a ladder. I've had 4 surgeries and it's now fused. Normally, it doesn't give me too much of a problem. I do have problems when I stand for a long time or I walk for a long time. I'm going to be staying for 5 days and I just don't know how I'm going to feel after a few days.

I also know that there are changes to their various policies.

I know that you can rent wheelchairs or scooters from Disney, but they are expensive. You can rent from 3rd party ones that will drop off at your hotel. These scooters go faster, too. Wheel chars cost a lot less than scooters. Maybe I can go as far as I can until I give in for a Disney wheelchair, and then rent 3rd party the next day? I'll have to take the various #'s with me.

I've also thought about getting one of those canes that is also a chair. That would really help on the lines, but I'm not sure how bulky they are to carry around. I'm 44 and I'll be with a 15 yr old and a 9 yr old. I don't want to slow people down. Then again, without the cane I might slow them down worse! It might even help me walk a bit.

I also don't know what to ask for in a hotel. Before, I was on crutches and I asked for a first floor room. I was given a full handicap room, which was actually two full rooms. We were told that those without disabilities didn't like a handicap shower, so they gave out two rooms for the price of one. It was awesome! I asked our travel agent about a handicap room now and they said there was an extra charge. I was told I could request a first floor room, but I wasn't guaranteed to get one. Do the handicap rooms always come with 2 rooms? Maybe it's worth the extra cost just to get 2 rooms? Is there anything else I should ask for? Or request? Or tricks?

Anything else overall someone would recommend? I really don't know what to expect and how bad my ankle might get. *sigh*

Thanks!

erstwo

You sound reluctant to use a scooter. My father (two knee surgeries and one hip replacement) feels the same way. But honestly it's just like I tell my dad, it's hard for anyone who is 100% healthy to make it through a whole day at the parks without being exhausted -with aching feet, legs, etc - much less someone who has a past medical issue.
We also rented from Apple scooters and were very pleased. ETA- Apple is $120 to $150 for 5 day rental.

Our stay at Caribbean beach was very quiet. We stayed in a ground floor room. I'll have to look up what building we were in - it was very convenient to both the bus stop (Internal loop which we took to external stop) but not food court. But it was very quiet.
Looked it up. We were in Trinidad South Building 37, facing the road. On the CBR map you can see the bus stop is located right in between buildings 36 & 37 instead of being out on the road & across the parking lot, like in Trinidad North, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

heychadwick

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I'm embracing the scooter at this point. It's better than wheeling myself around in a wheelchair and crutches will just hurt after a few hours (underarms will be rubbed raw). So, I'll take the scooter and roll with it. I guess that's how I roll now.

Apple for $150 for 5 days sounds good. I think I'll go with them, unless the one with the insurance company comes back with a cheaper rate.

I think part of my disliking of the scooter is that I don't normally need a scooter or anything, so just admitting that I'm not the same person that I used to be is not easy. I'm only 44, so I don't feel old.

Upvote 0

heychadwick

Original Poster
So.....I've called and looked at the various websites for these companies. I'm still not sure.

1) Beuno Vista has these cool rear baskets on the back. They cost $5 a day more, but think it would be great to have them. Apple Scooter said they don't use them b/c it makes getting on and off the buses easier. The basket makes them too long. Anyone get one with a basket?

2) Which scooter do I want? I'm staying on campus, so I'm not worried about a car. There is one that has this big, honkin' scooter that they recommend for people staying at Disney. It's got 4 wheels instead of 3. Which is better? I can see 4 for stability, but 3 for better turning in a crowd. Is this one too big? Or is it just awesome?

victory_10_4_wheel.jpg

Hmmm......I did see one site that had the turning radius. The 3 wheels are probably better for the park.

EDIT: Also.....how is it with the buses? Easy to get on and off? A pain? Things to look out forr?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rob0519

In 2010 my wife had a problem with her hip. She could not walk long distance with out the pain being to much. So I rented a wheel chair and pushed here around the parks. We parked the wheel chair with the strollers and walk into the rides. Later I was told the hotel will provide complimentary wheel chairs. The worst part of this was having to walk from buses to the park entrance to pick up wheel chair and leaving them at the park and have to walk to the buses. We go in September so the wait times are not that much. She had her hip replaced so now we do not have that problem anymore.

Our son requires a wheelchair to get through a day in the parks. We normally rent one from Disney, but you're right. Its' difficult for him to get off the bus or monorail and walk all the way to the rental facility and then back at the end of the day. The CR did provide us with a complimentary wheel chair on one occaision. However, I had t sign a contract that said I was financially responsible for bringing that exact chair back to the CR at the end of our stay. It's a bit of a risk as anyone can take the wheelchair while it's parked outside an attraction.

Upvote 0

heychadwick

Original Poster
I'm going with the official third party companies. I'll take them with me back and forth to the Disney hotels and on the buses and such. It just seems easier that way. Also, it's about half the price at $150 for 5 days. Oh, and I hear that they go faster.

I have no idea what to do if someone grabs one. Don't I just zip up to where I get on the ride and leave it off to the side? I'll need something to sit on while I'm in line.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

I also asked Disney about the buses and such. I think that when it's time to load up, I go to a special designated area for handicap (capable?) people. I think it means I'll get on the first bus, as long as there isn't another scooter in front of me. So, that's cool. I might always get on the first bus to show?

You will be loaded on the first bus that has scooter space. I think most buses only have 2 spots for scooters/wheelchairs, so if you are not the first stop, you may not get on the bus. Also, I can't say I've ever had a driver tell people already on the bus to move to let them load a scooter on when it was full.

EDIT: Also.....how is it with the buses? Easy to get on and off? A pain? Things to look out forr?

Basically they will lower a ramp from the back door (the one in the middle of the bus) The driver will raise a set of seats in the bus. You will need to drive it up the ramp, and then basically parallel park it in the space made by lifting the seats. The driver will then strap it down and you still in a normal seat. So keep that in mind when you are thinking about the size. I've seen plenty of people not be able to maneuver it in there and the driver needed to help them get it in place.

I have no idea what to do if someone grabs one. Don't I just zip up to where I get on the ride and leave it off to the side? I'll need something to sit on while I'm in line.

You are now entering yet further contested territory. If you are planning on essentially using the scooter as a stroller for a grown up, IE you park it in stroller parking and walk through the line like anyone else, then yes, it just sits on the side and you would still need your cane chair thing. Usually your name is on it, no idea if you can remove the starter key, but CMs usually need to be able to move them as needed to keep walkways clear. However, if you need it in line you may need to look into the DAS (Disability Access Service). Some queues are able to handle scooters, so they would simply tell you to take it in the queue with you. At others you would use the DAS and may be given a return time at which point they would take you through another entrance to let you stay on the scooter as long as possible. You can see more info on the DAS here -> http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet/

Upvote 0

heychadwick

Original Poster
Great answers! Thanks so much! It helps.

I'm thinking I won't have too much of a problem with other scooter people on the bus as I'm going on days that are all categorized as GREEN. At least that's what I'm hoping. :)

I don't think I would have a problem with getting it on the bus. I mean, I can just jump out and lift the dang thing into place. I did just call the number for Disability Services and the CM put me on hold to call Transportation. They stated that they didn't have any issues with scooters with rear baskets. So, it might not be an issue. I might be willing to pay a little more for the scooter on the back. I'll check with the Boss (the Mrs).

The real issue for the scooter is not stand up so much. So, I would need to take it into the queue. I went to that web link you sent (thanks again) and it stated that you can bring the scooter into most lines with no problem. There were a few that you had to go through an alternate entrance, but it wasn't a big deal. Also, I might be able to walk like a normal person through one line without issue...if the line wasn't long.

That website also stated that I don't need the DAS card just for having a scooter, so I'm happy about that. I just don't want to wait in line for something else every morning.

Cool.....so, I think I'm good for my scooter rental. I will need to check with the insurance company to see if they came up with a short term rental that won't cost the same as a full month.

Upvote 0

SteveW

My dad used the Pride Victory 10 from Apple Scooter and I don't recall any stability issues with 3 wheels. As for security concerns, I pretty sure taking the key with you on rides is fine. There is a manual release lever for the CMs to use when they move a scooter to the exit side of a ride. You could double check that with scooter companies.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom