Disability assistance program no longer offered?

sublimesting

Hi everyone! I had this in trip planning but my friend re-confirmed that the CM told her this went into effect over the weekend so maybe it should be in rumors. I really doubt what she was told but here it is: I have a friend who's 9 year old has autism/aspberger's. They are a family of 4 (the other son is 5), and they are planning their first ever Disney trip for this fall. The Mom called Disney this weekend to upgrade their tickets to park hopper and she also inquired about how the disability assistance works. She was told that as of a few days ago Disney no longer offers disability assistance for guests as the program was abused too much. The CM said it was "...a very recent change and the web sites aren't even updated yet."

Is this true? I can't imagine that it would be.

If it isn't true, then does a child on the autism spectrum, who cannot wait in lines, qualify for using it?

And if so, what do they need to do? Do they need a doctor's form or anything?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

21stamps

There was quite a bit of talk here about it when the program switched from GAC to DAS. There were numerous lawsuits and general ugliness. It seems like mostly everyone has calmed down and the new system works for most who need it. The moderators here had their hands full and the threads on this got heated at times. You missed some fireworks back then:)

The GAC was heavily abused and the new program seems to be less easy to manipulate for the abusers. The lawsuits were mostly from a handful of groups with legit disabilities who wanted either a return to the previous system or additional accommodations made for their situations.

Thank you for this post! I for one am glad that Disney saw abuse and changed things. People who need access should get it. It's absolutely horrid for someone to pretend or pay to get the same treatment. Just disgusting.

Upvote 0

peter11435

To clarify...Guest Relations will quote you an hour. If the attraction lets you in early then great.
No. Return times are issued at the attraction. They are not up to guest relations. The system automatically issues the return time as 10 minutes less than the current posted standby wait time.

If someone at guest relations told you it had to be an hour then you were misinformed. There is no 1 hour minimum time that must be waited for DAS.

Upvote 0

SugarMagnolia75

Thank you for this post! I for one am glad that Disney saw abuse and changed things. People who need access should get it. It's absolutely horrid for someone to pretend or pay to get the same treatment. Just disgusting.

I agree. I hate when people perpetuate fraud. Unfortunately, there are always a few people who take advantage of things and think the rules don't apply to them. They were probably a minority of the people using the old system and they ruined it for everyone.

Upvote 0

Funmeister

No. Return times are issued at the attraction. They are not up to guest relations. The system automatically issues the return time as 10 minutes less than the current posted standby wait time.

If someone at guest relations told you it had to be an hour then you were misinformed. There is no 1 hour minimum time that must be waited for DAS.

Guest Relations will quote (per training) that you should expect to wait a minimum of one hour for your return. When you go to the attraction you will usually wait a minimum of one hour. Sometimes you wait shorter sand sometimes its longer. The standard is a quote one hour. There are other factors that come into play, short wait times vs. more demand, that impacts the quoted wait time. The system does NOT issue an "automatic" wait time. On many occasions the CM will look at the current return time, and quote an hour from that time. It is not automated. It does not block you from entering. I have traveled many times with guests with disabilities and have peers that still work in various capacities. They are trained to tell you that you should expect an hour. It is not an automatic lock-in based on time.

If YOU are quoted the current standby time, less 10 minutes, then I cannot speak for YOUR experience. Don't tell me I am wrong when this is what I experienced first hand on numerous occasions.

Shooting star...the more you know.

Upvote 0

Daveeeeed

I agree. I hate when people perpetuate fraud. Unfortunately, there are always a few people who take advantage of things and think the rules don't apply to them. They were probably a minority of the people using the old system and they ruined it for everyone.
Guest Relations will quote (per training) that you should expect to wait a minimum of one hour for your return. When you go to the attraction you will usually wait a minimum of one hour. Sometimes you wait shorter sand sometimes its longer. The standard is a quote one hour. There are other factors that come into play, short wait times vs. more demand, that impacts the quoted wait time. The system does NOT issue an "automatic" wait time. On many occasions the CM will look at the current return time, and quote an hour from that time. It is not automated. It does not block you from entering. I have traveled many times with guests with disabilities and have peers that still work in various capacities. They are trained to tell you that you should expect an hour. It is not an automatic lock-in based on time.

If YOU are quoted the current standby time, less 10 minutes, then I cannot speak for YOUR experience. Don't tell me I am wrong when this is what I experienced first hand on numerous occasions.

My grandmother has a ton of health issues and uses it. The Cast Member assigns the wait time from the wait time posted. Many times, if it is massive (say TSMM) they will lower it by how ever much the Cast Member feels. I've done it at least 100 times as I am always the one that takes her Magic Band and and gets it for the group. This was even true on New Years Eve which was the busiest day of 2017.
The Cast Members 99/100 are always so nice and accommodating to her, whether she is walking or in a wheelchair. It's so nice to know that she can enjoy all the rides with us.

It's now done electronically, but the Cast Member still checks the wait time and selects the guests in the party. Unless it is down, or it is backed up... they then will use the ticket system. Occasionally as well they will give the can be used for any attraction ticket.

Upvote 0

peter11435

I don't want to tell you that you are wrong since you specifically asked me not too, but you are wrong. The system most definitely automatically assigns a wait time. When a guests ticket is scanned with the device at the attraction it automatically assigns a wait time based on the current wait minus 10 minutes. The cast member at the attraction can alter that wait for various circumstances but they are trained to issue times based on SB minus 10 minute.

If the the current wait is 90 minutes you should expect an 80 minute return time and if the current wait is 30 minutes you should expect a 20 minute return time. The cast member could decide to lower that wait time if they desire but their training is simple SB-10. There is no 1 hour standard in any training for guest relations or attractions cast members and no guest should be being told that. They should be being told to expect to wait the length of the standby queue and possibly longer if they will need a specialized vehicle.

Upvote 0

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
One more question then: Can they still use Fast Passes?

DAC compliments FP+, but it works differently and doesn't overlay. DAC return times can actually overlap FP+ times. They also don't expire. If you have a FP+ for Test Track at 4pm and you get a DAC return time for Frozen at 3:45pm you can ride test track and then go on Frozen after. Since the DAC return time doesn't expire until the end of the day you can delay going on Frozen until just before park closing if you want.

Upvote 0

Funmeister

My grandmother has a ton of health issues and uses it. The Cast Member assigns the wait time from the wait time posted. Many times, if it is massive (say TSMM) they will lower it by how ever much the Cast Member feels. I've done it at least 100 times as I am always the one that takes her Magic Band and and gets it for the group. This was even true on New Years Eve which was the busiest day of 2017.
The Cast Members 99/100 are always so nice and accommodating to her, whether she is walking or in a wheelchair. It's so nice to know that she can enjoy all the rides with us.

It's now done electronically, but the Cast Member still checks the wait time and selects the guests in the party. Unless it is down, or it is backed up... they then will use the ticket system. Occasionally as well they will give the can be used for any attraction ticket.

Go re-read what I wrote. I never said that Guest Relations sets the time. I said they tell you it is an average wait of one hour. This is an expectation so people do not think they are going to walk on. They are TRAINED to inform guests that the wait is at least an hour. By no means is this setting the time.

Upvote 0

Daveeeeed

Go re-read what I wrote. I never said that Guest Relations sets the time. I said they tell you it is an average wait of one hour. This is an expectation so people do not think they are going to walk on. They are TRAINED to inform guests that the wait is at least an hour. By no means is this setting the time.
Two things:
First, I don't know if you know this, but you seem to have a 'defensive' stance right now.
Secondly, that has never once been the case for me, not even one time.

Upvote 0

EvanAnderson

Hi, I WORK in Guest Relations, and never have I heard about an hour wait time. We tell the guests exactly how it works, we say "you go up to your attractions of choice and ask the Cast Member out front that you need a DAS return time. That time is however long the standby wait time is, minus 10 minutes." We do say "it's not a front of the line pass, you still will be waiting, just not in line."

Upvote 0

I am Timmy

Hi, I WORK in Guest Relations, and never have I heard about an hour wait time. We tell the guests exactly how it works, we say "you go up to your attractions of choice and ask the Cast Member out front that you need a DAS return time. That time is however long the standby wait time is, minus 10 minutes." We do say "it's not a front of the line pass, you still will be waiting, just not in line."
My oldest is special needs. We've used the Das program many times, and this has always been our experience. Disney is so great about working with people! It's all digital now, but I still carry a tiny notepad with me to write the return time down. My DS gets anxious, so he sometimes needs to look at it many times to make sure. You can go and cancel it, too, if the guest changes their mind. Very flexible.

Upvote 0

Pixie VaVoom

The change to DAS happened just a few months before my last visit to WDW. I have a medical issue that often requires me to exit a long line quickly, or else I hazard an 'episode' that would necessitate my leaving for the rest of the day.

I found that the new system was very fair. I wasn't looking for a "front of line pass" - i didn't need to avoid the lines - just needed to be able to take care of my emergent needs while waiting. All of the CMs were wonderful, and I really appreciated the little assistance. As an older couple, hubby and I will never be 'marathoners' cramming everything into every possible second of the park day. This made it easy to enjoy what suits our needs.

Upvote 0

Jo DeVil

To clarify...Guest Relations will quote you an hour. If the attraction lets you in early then great.
Guest Relations may have quoted it to you be we were told that it was based on wait time (a Virtual Queue) and as per there web site
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet/
  • What is DAS and how does it work?
    The DAS Card is designed to accommodate guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). DAS will be issued at Guest Relations main entrance locations and will offer guests a return time for attractions based on the current wait time. As soon as the Guest finishes one attraction, they can receive a return time for another. This service can be used in addition to Disney’s FASTPASS Service and Disney FastPass+ service
Sorry I hate Quoting but that is what it says and we have used it like this for several years for DS12 who has ASD.

Upvote 0

Funmeister

Guest Relations may have quoted it to you be we were told that it was based on wait time (a Virtual Queue) and as per there web site
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/disney-parks-disability-access-service-card-fact-sheet/
  • What is DAS and how does it work?
    The DAS Card is designed to accommodate guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). DAS will be issued at Guest Relations main entrance locations and will offer guests a return time for attractions based on the current wait time. As soon as the Guest finishes one attraction, they can receive a return time for another. This service can be used in addition to Disney’s FASTPASS Service and Disney FastPass+ service
Sorry I hate Quoting but that is what it says and we have used it like this for several years for DS12 who has ASD.

I am not going to argue. Not once did I say what they said was accurate. I am telling you what I know, based no who I have spoken to and my personal experience. You are not proving me wrong because it is stated otherwise. If you want to try to prove my experience wrong...lol..go right ahead! >smh<

Upvote 0

Funmeister

Two things:
First, I don't know if you know this, but you seem to have a 'defensive' stance right now.
Secondly, that has never once been the case for me, not even one time.

Why would I be on the defensive when people question what I was told from Cast Members and Guest Relations regardless of what the printed policy is? lol Gee, I have no idea. >smh< Seems people have a hard on to try to prove people wrong even if it was an actual experience someone had. Can't deny reality man.

Upvote 0

Daveeeeed

Why would I be on the defensive when people question what I was told from Cast Members and Guest Relations regardless of what the printed policy is? lol Gee, I have no idea. >smh< Seems people have a hard on to try to prove people wrong even if it was an actual experience someone had. Can't deny reality man.
You're doing it again...

I'm not discrediting you, but the way you're coming about it is just wrong.

Like I've said, I've seen it in use at least a hundred times. Not once have they given a higher wait-time than posted. Whether that means they're not doing their job or not I do not know, but I will tell you -- they're not doing that.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom