DINOSAUR closed for refurbishment July 25 - November 20 2016

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Nemo is the worst offender of that. It's only long enough to just hear it start over in normal speed. But any time they drop the ride to slow speed, you will hear the scene in front of you repeat multiple times.
My girlfriend and I once got stopped in the scene where the actually find Nemo. For like, more than five minutes. I think that loop is 15 seconds or so...

Incomudro

So nobody other than me wants to comment on the fact that this shuts down the popular excuse that Disney won't shut down a headlining attraction at DAK for refurb until Avatar opens?

Because now we know that there is even less of an excuse to not have a working Yeti. (ignoring the fact that Everest does not necessarily need to close to do extended work on the yeti...)
Dinosaur is not Everest.
Everest is visible from all around the park.

FigmentJedi

Pretty sure transplanting the existing concrete structure would be more expensive than building a new one from scratch.
Not to mention they repainted the Dino-Rama Concretosaurus green a few weeks ago (apparently to stand out less during nighttime show performances). Gertie would look redundant there.
tumblr_o6d44aP1U21sa3t1go1_1280.jpg

PREMiERdrum

I'm actually really looking forward to seeing Dino-Rama after sunset.
Supposedly it looks much less tacky and more nostalgically-Americana when it's lit up.

I've always thought this area was designed for nighttime. Shoot... think about how different your local carnival or tented circus looks in the full light of day compared to after nightfall? The popcorn lights above, dramatic architectural lighting highlighting structures, and the kinetic lights affixed to the rides. It's a different experience. It's hard to believe they designed so much of this park to be at better show with the sun down... an opportunity that so few guests have been afforded.

Incomudro

So? It's not like the mountain structure itself would be taken apart or make the park look bad in any way.

What I'm saying is that people enter AK, look at Everest - and head for it.
You actually see and hear EE working, and hear the screams.
It's a tremendous visual and auditory draw.
Dinosaur is tucked out of the way. Having Everest down would have a far greater impact than having Dinosaur down.
Now, when Pandora opens and there is a new visual draw - a new headliner - sporting two new rides plus the physical land to walk through, we'll have a very different situation on hand if EE needs to go out of commission for a while.

Bairstow

Since Disney is on such a big kick with in-ride, high-def projection, do we think this might be useful to add something to all the periods of intense darkness?

Even something simple like images of leaves and vines rushing by along the walls could enhance the sense of speed and space.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Since Disney is on such a big kick with in-ride, high-def projection, do we think this might be useful to add something to all the periods of intense darkness?

Even something simple like images of leaves and vines rushing by along the walls could enhance the sense of speed and space.
It could work, but given the otherwise darkness and proximity to any screen the ambient light from it could be an issue.

I always feel the meteor would be beefed up as a video projection.

Last edited:

KingOfEpicocity

The Excavator, a wooden roller coaster meant to be themed to ore cars used by a defunct gravel company whose quarry became the site of some of the first fossil discoveries in Dinoland.

Wasn't there also plans for an outdoor family dark ride instead of dinosaur? Andy swear I've seen concept art for a boat ride...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom