DINOSAUR closed for refurbishment July 25 - November 20 2016

Monorail_Orange

I wouldn't mind one or two but three rides at the same time? This means queues for other rides will be longer. They could have spread them out a bit.
I think you're losing sight of the forest in favor of the trees. Refurbs MUST happen, and WDW has put many off for far too long. I understand they will always inconvenience some people, but they are critical to the continued operation of every attraction. Kudos to TDO to getting this right.

teadrinker

I think you're losing sight of the forest in favor of the trees. Refurbs MUST happen, and WDW has put many off for far too long. I understand they will always inconvenience some people, but they are critical to the continued operation of every attraction. Kudos to TDO to getting this right.
but why three at the same time?

Jones14

Because there are roughly forty rides at Walt Disney World, and taking down three rides at once still leaves over 90% of them operating for your vacation, and that's not including any shows or entertainment options.

Because all three of those rides need significant amounts of attention, and to leave them operating as-is would be poor show.

Because it's always someone's vacation, and in order for the whole to be greater than the sum of it's parts, the parts need to be worked on from time to time.

And finally, Frozen, Soarin', Jungle Book (or Rivers of Light), Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular, Mickey's Royal Friendship Faire, and the nighttime safaris will all be brand new and shiny by the time you get there, and those experiences will take up much more of your vacation time than riding those three rides would have.

Monorail_Orange

Because, unfortunately, they are in desperate need of refurbishment. For example, if you drive your car a total 100,000 miles, but keep up with the recommended service intervals, it's only in the shop for generally short periods of time. However, drive it those miles without ever doing actual maintenance, and it's going to need a lot longer in the shop. Now extrapolate that concept to a fleet of vehicles, or in this case, attractions. Several of them are in dire need at this point, and thus several are going to going down for maintenance at the same time. Again, TDO should be applauded for making the tough call and doing multiple refurbs across several parks at once.

aprincessatlasst

I remember planning my first Disneyland trip and thinking "why is everything in refurb"? I had been to wdw numerous times and never remembered seeing a ride under refurbishment and we went in September all the time (2005-10). I then realized wdw was way different than DL. I think they are finding the error in their way.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
if no one has posted this I think its time to! It's a great tribute to the ride and gives you a good sense of what it use to be.

I miss the original version of this attraction. Thankfully like the Yeti I was fortunate enough to see it, and was very impressed with it. Last time I rode... It was a take it or leave it situation. I Love that Disney is family friendly, but I wish certain attractions were left a little more thrilling /scary. Between taming attractions down and attractions not getting necessary maintenance to keep the show elements 100% or close to, it really cuts into my motivation to go to the parks. I could see myself there a lot more if things were different. Hopefully the much needed returns we are seeing will be comprehensive and the start of new trends at Disney.

Tom Morrow

So nobody other than me wants to comment on the fact that this shuts down the popular excuse that Disney won't shut down a headlining attraction at DAK for refurb until Avatar opens?

Because now we know that there is even less of an excuse to not have a working Yeti. (ignoring the fact that Everest does not necessarily need to close to do extended work on the yeti...)

matt9112

The JP ride at Orlando is embarrassingly bad. Especially compared to Hollywood Uni's slightly better version... And it's not that the ride itself is bad.. It's just in need of a multi million dollar refurb because the animatronics haven't been maintained properly. They barely move now and just.. Yea.. There is a lot of gaps and awkward AA broken effects.

Dinosaur has many of these problems too.. But you're not on a really slow moving boat ride to notice. Plus the exaggerated dark room effects brinn it out more

You mean the dark hides it......got it.

doctornick

I wouldn't mind one or two but three rides at the same time? This means queues for other rides will be longer. They could have spread them out a bit.

Right now, WDW has lost Soarin' and Maelstrom's capacity as those are being (essentially) "refurbed". They will open soon (as well as increased capacity at TSMM) and late August/Sept is about the slowest time of the year for WDW. Rides have to close sometime to get fixed. Other stuff will be closed in the months afterwards.

ctxak98

You mean the dark hides it......got it.
I would argue most of the animatronics in JPRA that are outside, are actually better(minus the first sauropod) then the ones that are inside the DARK building. Which proves that dark doesn't hide eveything. The raptors and dilophosaurus are so bad, and Orlando trex has a blanket neck. So if done right, dark can help.....but not always.

The darkness in dinosaur doesn't help the dinosaurs look more real. If you had the lights on and had them moving, they would look just as good ( if they were in tip top shape). But the darkness does hide the mechanics which is not a bad thing IMO.

Bairstow

It barely made it through filming. The water really him up in his big scene. There is some great behind the scenes footage of him malfunctioning due to the weight of the water that his skin was absorbing.

That's why the ones we see in rides are not as convincing - the skins have to be made to take a lot more daily abuse for years on end - especially the ones near water in the JP ride.

An interesting video:

KingOfEpicocity

I would argue most of the animatronics in JPRA that are outside, are actually better(minus the first sauropod) then the ones that are inside the DARK building. Which proves that dark doesn't hide eveything. The raptors and dilophosaurus are so bad, and Orlando trex has a blanket neck. So if done right, dark can help.....but not always.

The darkness in dinosaur doesn't help the dinosaurs look more real. If you had the lights on and had them moving, they would look just as good ( if they were in tip top shape). But the darkness does hide the mechanics which is not a bad thing IMO.

He's got a point. I think the darkness adds a level of scariness to the ride. I find JPRA to be very boring and it fails at being thrilling at all. Dinosaur is dark, fast moving, loud, and fun! Like I said before, if you look at low light POVs, the detail in the ride is there, they just don't light it all up. I think it's a good choice. Although some of the completely dark parts of the ride are unnecessary.

matt9112

He's got a point. I think the darkness adds a level of scariness to the ride. I find JPRA to be very boring and it fails at being thrilling at all. Dinosaur is dark, fast moving, loud, and fun! Like I said before, if you look at low light POVs, the detail in the ride is there, they just don't light it all up. I think it's a good choice. Although some of the completely dark parts of the ride are unnecessary.

Some darkness sure it is a dark ride but even when you approach the scenes lit up its so fast and not lit up well its hard to really appreciate any scaryness. I mean theres a meteor shower but you could have fooled me i dont see any. And insiders have said entire dark sections feature no theming.

KingOfEpicocity

Some darkness sure it is a dark ride but even when you approach the scenes lit up its so fast and not lit up well its hard to really appreciate any scaryness. I mean theres a meteor shower but you could have fooled me i dont see any. And insiders have said entire dark sections feature no theming.
You don't need insiders to know that. The "evasive maneuvers" part is completely in the dark. But, to me, that's thrilling. Not seeing where your going, what's happening, there could be Dino's all around you. Call it cheap, or lazy, but I think it just needs a little imagination. But yes I agree, it needs more substance for the picky people. Wouldn't be too hard to add some jungle and meteorite effects in the evasive maneuvers part. But like I said, some other parts like the walking AA and the First Carnatarus, both have well designed scenes. They're just unlit.

Tom Morrow

Can we just agree that both Dinosaur and JPRA are kind of cheesy but they both also have their strengths?
I find JPRA to be very boring and it fails at being thrilling at all. Dinosaur is dark, fast moving, loud, and fun!
Two completely different types of rides. JPRA is mostly just a gentle boat ride with the theming being dressing on the side.

Can we all just agree that both rides are a little cheesy but in different ways but they both also have positives?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom