Dinoland next for updates? / What should be done?

beast

It just doesn't fit with the rest of the beautiful park. It's sad and it's an embarrassment. And while I love the Nemo show it doesn't fit there either. Really had my fingers crossed that The Good Dinosaur would be a smash but that won't happen with poor word of mouth. I really think I would love AK much more if Dinoland and Chester and Hester's were improved/changed. It truly makes me like AK less due to its inclusion. AK is such a beautiful park with a real sense of place and authenticity and it has outgrown Dinoland USA. When the park was first built it made for a good place filler while they waited for something better but the time has come to let it go and do something worthy of the park and the Disney name.

They could let it go by changing it to Arendelle.

IAmFloridaBorn

My second choice (first choice being Beastly Kingdom) would be to put an Australian section in the Dinoland section (I'd prefer the
Australian section to be located in that large amount of land north of the Asia section). This way the "Finding Nemo" show would
actually be in its correct place.
I like that idea. I enjoy the Finding Nemo show at AK. I always felt as though it was just out of place in it's location.

BrittanyRose428

As a former Dinoland CM, this part of the park holds a special place in my heart, although I definitely understand why people tend to dislike Chester and Hester's. (It was my least favorite part of WDW before I worked there, so trust me, I get it lol.) After having worked there and being well, forced, to really understand the backstory, Dinoland has grown on me. I think the story just doesn't get across well, so guests don't really know what things look the way they do. If they made the story more evident, and cleaned it up a little bit, I think the area would be fine.

JohnD

Turn Dinoland into South America. Turn the Dinosaur attraction into an Indy ride (has a ride track similar to the DL version). As that ride is based in India, make this one based in the same South American jungle as at the start of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Add South American animals as necessary (okay, maybe not piranha).

dizda

Reboot Indiana Jones with a new trilogy. Retheme Dinosaur to Indy, add a coaster for an Indy land. Gut the rest and start anew for a proper extinct animals land, all the way to Nemo.
I wish that WDW had an Indy ride, but I have thought (since EE is already in Asia) that an Indy ride could work in Africa if the story centered on King Solomon's mines.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

A fair chunk of the land is at least conceptually good and salvageable. What needs to go is the awful Dinorama carnival and re-imagine anything related to it (including the connected restaurant).

A land about dinosaurs is a fine idea. And they're more than interesting enough not to require IP's to satisfy kids. Though i'd propose expanding the land to include other prehistoric creatures as well. Rename the land "Prehistoria" to encompass other eras of extinct species as well (such as ice age creatures).

Dinosaur (AKA Countdown to Extinction) has the potential to be a great ride, they just need to fill in the black empty show scenes that were originally intended to have stuff to see before the budget was slashed. Ideally i'd like to see the ride expanded to its original conceptual form (which had a much larger track and even went outside apparently), but at least filling in the empty unused parts would be an excellent start and address the ride's most glaring issues. The ride is very salvageable and doesn't need to be torn down or replaced. It would be a great ride with some tweaking here and there.

The land occupied by Dinorama is large and could accommodate a healthy sized show building (something the size of Dinosaur or larger). I'd like a lengthy ride that emulates something you'd see in Pirates or old EPCOT rides, including elaborate show scenes and animatronics of ancient extinct animals. Probably a boat ride would provide some good atmosphere. Mostly a calm and quiet ride, though perhaps with some minor Pirates-sized drops if using multiple levels. Facade and queue based on the Smithsonian castle.

Adding the slashed Excavator coaster would also be welcome. A fantastic and far superior replacement for the bland and hideous Primeval Whirl.

Cmdr_Crimson

One idea is to overlay that cheap Dino Rama with even a better Cheapskate...
standinorama_zps6nzi49cv.jpg

But, sadly since the series is down to a one hour final episode it wouldn't be worth it...

wdwmomof3

Just about anything would be an improvement from what it is today. Its the only section in all of the parks that I truly dislike. It looks cheap and uninteresting.

Buy n' Large

First post of mine on these forums :)

Personally, I love this area of AK. Perhaps it may need a few tweaks here and there, but besides that, it is fine the way it is currently. The backstory is very interesting, and is one of the reasons why I love it so much. Dinosaur could possibly be my favorite ride in all of AK.

blueboxdoctor

Change it to the Good Dinosaur and make it less cheap/carnival feeling. Dinosaurs can be cool but the way they themed it just feels out of place and almost like an after thought. I'm not a big fan of Universal, but they did their Jurassic Park log flume right. But with Avatar and the new night show, I don't see them working on this area anytime soon.

dizda

Well if they finally redo Dinoland there is a plan that the creator over at Ideal Buildout created that I think looks great. Full credit to him and heres the link to his website: http://idealbuildout.blogspot.com

Blog+-+WDW+AK+2025+birds+Mammoth.PNG
Those are some some great ideas that make good (re)use of existing elements. I like the flume ride, but I am afraid they would not do it because the concept might be considered too similar to Uni.

Csmith041177

I agree with many of the above comments. I wish they would just scrap the entire land and use that real estate for something else. I hate Chester and Hester, it feels cheap and lousy. I am also probably in the minority in that I am not crazy about Dinosaur the ride. We have Africa and Asia, how about an Australia or a South America?

TBrooker11

I really dislike the whole "Carnival" theme that I see when I go there. Which is a shame because Dinosaur is one of my favorite rides in all of WDW. It is the one area of the park that feels so out of place. However, I don't think using The Good Dinosaur as the theme for the area is the correct thing to do either. I mean domestically it is currently at $117 M. That is # 16 of 16 for all Pixar movies. And by a good margin at that. The movie above it on the list is A Bugs Life which came out in 98 and made $162 M. Adjusted for inflation the movie above it is Cars 2 at $206 M. Worldwide it didn't find much success either where it has made $266 M which is again last place among Pixar films behind Toy Story which came out in 1995 and made $362 M worldwide. I think something with a lot more of like a jungle theme would be better, with Dinosaurs throughout and some new attractions. As far as the previously mentioned idea of move The Seas With Nemo and Friends ride to AK because it is out of place in Epcot, that would probably cost way more than it would be worth when it came to moving that massive aquarium the ride is in. Hopefully this area can be fixed up in the coming years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom