Dining with a magic band

hsisthebest

Original Poster
Forgive me if this was discussed elsewhere. How do you pay for a meal (room charge) now that key cards are gone? They used to take your key to the world card and swipe it, what do they do if you have a magic band and want to use it to pay at a sit down meal ?

cspencer96

Forgive me if this was discussed elsewhere. How do you pay for a meal (room charge) now that key cards are gone? They used to take your key to the world card and swipe it, what do they do if you have a magic band and want to use it to pay at a sit down meal ?
Each server has a handheld device they touch to your MagicBand, usually before the meal if you have a Dining Plan. After the meal, they deliver the check and if you need to add a tip, you do it then. Room Charging is done the same way, but the CM may choose to scan your band before or after I believe. Not sure the reasoning behind the before or after, but that's how they've done it for the past few months when I have visited. When they touch your band to the device, you then enter your PIN on the touchscreen of the device - theoretically more secure than the previous cards that only required a signature. I love it! So simple.

Tom

Beta Return
Yep. Exactly.

In addition, you can say what you want charged to your DP or to your account attached to the band. This is perfect to tip/pay for adult drinks/anything extra you want to purchase at the meal.

Works great.

It's a little awkward if you're someone who doesn't like the server seeing their tip (for whatever reason) while you're still there and interacting with them. They have to run the final transaction, including tip, while you're still present, if you're charging it to your room.

We had a couple servers during our recent trip who, in my opinion, earned nowhere near 20% (others earned more). But, because I don't like conflict, I tipped them all at least 18-20% since there would still be interaction when they brought our final check to sign.

You can always tip in cash though, which is what I'll do next time.

cw1982

It's a little awkward if you're someone who doesn't like the server seeing their tip (for whatever reason) while you're still there and interacting with them. They have to run the final transaction, including tip, while you're still present, if you're charging it to your room.

We had a couple servers during our recent trip who, in my opinion, earned nowhere near 20% (others earned more). But, because I don't like conflict, I tipped them all at least 18-20% since there would still be interaction when they brought our final check to sign.

You can always tip in cash though, which is what I'll do next time.

Oh, good to know! I'll definitely try to make sure we have some cash on hand just for that purpose. Thanks!

Tinkerbella16

Yup what they all said! It is quick and easy and you just use your band on the handheld device. We tipped in cash the whole trip so we just left it on the table.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member

I agree. There have been times that I have been so impressed with service that I have tipped 40 to 50% of the bill. I want to see and interact with those servers after they see their tip. The rest of the time, it's really no big deal

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I guess it varies, because when I ate at 'Ohana the other day the server scanned the band at the end and came back with the same kind of receipt you'd get by using a credit card. You add the tip, sign, and leave it on the table. Oddly enough, I didn't have to enter a PIN.

I ate at Jiko a couple months back and I did have to enter my PIN, but I was still presented with the same type of receipt at the end.

Edit: Maybe because of the cast discount?

StarWarsGirl

Honestly, after watching guests from my August trip trying to use MBs (before I had one) I just decided to use the credit card the entire trip for sit down meals in January. I like it for paying at retail locations and for CS meals. Sit downs just appeared to be a gigantic pain with scanning, and sometimes missing the scan, or having a broken scanner, whatnot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom