Dining Plan Kids/Adults

Andrew Appleby

Original Poster
It says that on the Dining Plan that children must pick from the kids menu. Is that true?

are the kids and adult vouchers that get used as you purchase your food? My 2 are unlikely to eat many of the kids meals so ideally they would get something from the main menu.

cheers

drizgirl

That sounds right for table service venues. (That's why a child dining plan is less than an adult one).

But I believe adult and child credits are all the same at counter service so they can pick whatever they want.

MickeyMomV

I would not count getting adult meals with a Childs QS credit. There is a reason a Child QS credit is $21/day and an Adult is $48/day. If your child is under 10 they are going to be issued children's credits. Disney does not police who eats what meal but they do pay attention to what meals you are able to get. Example - if you have 4 adult credits and 4 child credits you could use 4 child credits for lunch and get 4 meals from the kids menu and then for dinner use 4 adult credits and get 4 meals from the main menu and they would not say anything. But if you went up and ordered 4 meals from the full menu for lunch and dinner I have a strong feeling your whole family is going to end up eating kids meals the last half of your vacation. From my experience for a 7 night trip (2 adults and 1 child) we were issued 14 adult credits and 7 child credits. We were always told the child's meal had to come from the children's offerings. I will fully admit we never asked for a smaller portion of an adult meal for our son as there was always something for him on the children's menu.

JillC LI

It is my understanding that the TS credits show up as kids vs. adults, but that the CS credits do not. The CS credits are simply bulked together as a total number. I believe that is why @drizgirl correctly stated above that they would have to order kids meals at TS restaurants only. However, as the OP points out, they only got the quick service plan, so they should have no problem getting any meals they want at CS establishments.

Weather_Lady

When we were there in November with the regular DDP, there was no distinction at CS meals between adult and child credits, and my children ordered from the "adult" CS menu almost every time. (It was my understanding that this was not considered "scamming the system," but was now acceptable. If I was wrong, I can say that no CM ever looked askance or questioned us as we stood there with two adults and two children, ordering four adult meals at CS venues in every single park.)

TS meals are, of course, another story, and adult and child credits are tallied and tracked individually.

Also, OP - just a tip, but the CS DDP "rules" also permit you, if you desire, to substitute your drink entitlement or your dessert entitlement (or both) for any designated "snack" item from the same menu. In other words, if at lunch or dinner you'd prefer to order, for example, entrée+snack+snack (and get iced water to drink) instead of entrée+drink+dessert, you can. Of course, many of the menus only have a couple of non-drink, non-dessert snacks at all (usually French fries and/or fruit), so the flexibility this gives you is limited, but it's a nice feature if, like me, you don't want a giant fountain beverage and dessert with every meal, but would like an apple, a bag of chips or an extra bottle of water, etc. to stick in your park bag for a snack later on.

MickeyMomV

It is my understanding that the TS credits show up as kids vs. adults, but that the CS credits do not. The CS credits are simply bulked together as a total number. I believe that is why @drizgirl correctly stated above that they would have to order kids meals at TS restaurants only. However, as the OP points out, they only got the quick service plan, so they should have no problem getting any meals they want at CS establishments.
Maybe with all of the updates to the meal plans in the last few years this has changed then. It has been several trips since Disney has not considered my DS an "adult". I just remember multiple cast members telling us he had to order off the children's menu.

drizgirl

Maybe with all of the updates to the meal plans in the last few years this has changed then. It has been several trips since Disney has not considered my DS an "adult". I just remember multiple cast members telling us he had to order off the children's menu.
It's been that way as long as I can remember.

When we were there in November with the regular DDP, there was no distinction at CS meals between adult and child credits, and my children ordered from the "adult" CS menu almost every time. (It was my understanding that this was not considered "scamming the system," but was now acceptable. If I was wrong, I can say that no CM ever looked askance or questioned us as we stood there with two adults and two children, ordering four adult meals at CS venues in every single park.)

TS meals are, of course, another story, and adult and child credits are tallied and tracked individually.

Also, OP - just a tip, but the CS DDP "rules" also permit you, if you desire, to substitute your drink entitlement or your dessert entitlement (or both) for any designated "snack" item from the same menu. In other words, if at lunch or dinner you'd prefer to order, for example, entrée+snack+snack (and get iced water to drink) instead of entrée+drink+dessert, you can. Of course, many of the menus only have a couple of non-drink, non-dessert snacks at all (usually French fries and/or fruit), so the flexibility this gives you is limited, but it's a nice feature if, like me, you don't want a giant fountain beverage and dessert with every meal, but would like an apple, a bag of chips or an extra bottle of water, etc. to stick in your park bag for a snack later on.

The dessert has been removed from the quick service meals (change occurred when they first released the 2017 dining plans). It is also no longer officially permitted to substitute drinks for a snack item (change occurred when they increased the prices in February) . Some have had luck swapping drinks for snacks with certain CMs so it doesn't hurt to ask, but they may refuse.

Weather_Lady

The dessert has been removed from the quick service meals (change occurred when they first released the 2017 dining plans). It is also no longer officially permitted to substitute drinks for a snack item (change occurred when they increased the prices in February) . Some have had luck swapping drinks for snacks with certain CMs so it doesn't hurt to ask, but they may refuse.

Thank you. I thought that since my visit/DDP use was within the last 6 months, I was still "up" on the relevant information. Clearly not! Disney is changing things faster than I can keep up.

Thank you. I thought that since my visit/DDP use was within the last 6 months, I was still "up" on the relevant information. Clearly not! Disney is changing things faster than I can keep up.

They squeeze in a lot of changes without a lot of notice! Most people don't know this yet and are unpleasantly surprised. On the bright side at least all plans now have two snack credits per person per day!

jaklgreen

Our kids are teens now and at the quick service restaurants we would get them 1 adult meal to split. Cast members saw this and said nothing. I'm sorry but I was not about to feed my kids chicken nuggets and pizza all week. They have since added a few more normal food options for kids but not at every location. If they wanted me to feed my kids off of the kids menu then they need to offer something that would not give my kids diabetes by the age of 14. Don't ever feel bad for feeding your kids a decent meal. Start them off right.

Andrew Appleby

Original Poster

Thanks for that! It's really helpful to know :D

GoofyGroupie

First time we have gone to Disney. We are taking all of our children and grandchildren: six adults... three children. We original decided on purchasing the Disney Deluxe Dining Plan. As we began putting everything together we realized we would spend has much time in the restaurants as we would on the rides. Does anyone know if your can change dining programs once you've purchased a plan. We would change to the Standard plan. Thanks for your help!

SarahBella82

When we visited in July 2016, a CM checking us out at a QS spot told me there's no differentiation for them between adult and child credits for QS. We ordered adult meals for our daughter a few times with no issues.

SarahBella82

Would call Disney reservations to discuss changing your plan. I think as long as you're more than 48 out from your reservation, you can make changes.

First time we have gone to Disney. We are taking all of our children and grandchildren: six adults... three children. We original decided on purchasing the Disney Deluxe Dining Plan. As we began putting everything together we realized we would spend has much time in the restaurants as we would on the rides. Does anyone know if your can change dining programs once you've purchased a plan. We would change to the Standard plan. Thanks for your help!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom