Dining Meal & Dining Questions

hortonhearsawho

Original Poster
After lots of agonizing and debating, we have decided to do the Disney Dining Plan during our early December WDW vacation. However, we have never been to WDW with kids and it's been over 16 years for us so we have no idea what restaurants to seek out and which ones to avoid.

Additionally, I have recently lost a lot of weight and do NOT want to gain weight while on vacation. When I called the Dining number, the girl told me there was no way to find out calories/fat, etc. for any of the restaurants owned by Disney. Does anyone either know of where/how I can get this info or have suggestions for maintaining a lowfat/low calorie lifestyle?

When we went to Disneyland, I had a personal invitation to talk to a chef ANYTIME I needed/wanted. Do they have this at WDW too?

Thanks for all of your help!!!!

KHockett

The Land Foodcourt

If you are looking for healthy options, and you are in Epcot, I would recommend the Land (food court). They have a meal with greens, beef, and taboule that is awsome - you can get the dressing on the side, and it was very healthy.
Also, at MGM the cafeteria near Star tours and Indiana Jones has a great vegetable sandwich with a healthy side option.
Both of these places were great for us!:slurp:

KellyPee

We visit every year and I must tell you that the chefs have been nothing less than fantasitc! I have 2 children that are allergic to all dairy products. While making dining reservations, I explain the allergy and I am given a number to call about a week before arriving. After doing that, once we get to the rest., we are greeted by a chef who explains what is available to them. If it is a buffet, the chef will take the kids around the buffet and explain to them what they can and cannot eat and why. I have been told that this can be done for other dietary issues or concerns. So, while making dining reservations, explain your situation and I am sure they will try and accomodate you.

lawyergirl77

While I totally understand the weight struggle (having lost and put on and lost a fair bit myself), it is incredibly easy to make healthier choices when dining at WDW, without asking for special treatment.

The chefs are incredibly willing to discuss meal plans with you, but it is also possible at all times to change fries for salads (put the dressing on the side, though - WDW likes to DRENCH its salads) and have even modified ingredients before in order to make a meal into a leaner choice.

As for counter service meals, there is always one eatery in the parks that specializes in healthier options and the grab n go options at your resort's food court often have great salads and fresh fruit.

Final thought (and this one is personal, so feel free to ignore me): please don't try to count every single calorie while you're in WDW. As a person who used to have a major eating disorder and who was still in the throes of it while at WDW one year... Well, I made many of the people around me miserable by the constant counting and the "tsking" that I was making at their choices. And I made myself miserable by not allowing myself even one treat during the time that I was there for fear of "backsliding" into the fatty I perceived myself to be. When I got back from my trip, I got even more fanatical and really did some damage to myself...

So my advice to you is to let yourself indulge in something you love, at least once during your trip!! Obviously don't go completely off your diet plan (and you really don't have to if you don't want to - the choices at the park are truly amazing now), but depriving myself at WDW was what led me into truly scary eating disorder territory, and I would hate to see it happen to you!!! :wave:

Raven66

I just want to add as well, that you will be doing so much walking. If you decide that you want a little something like a Dole Whip:)slurp: ), you will be able to walk it off after. Have a great time on your trip!:wave:

octoberbarry

We just got back from 6 days there, on the meal plan, and we ate VERY well, with many healthy options at such places as Crystal Palace, Hollywood & Vine, Tusker House, California Grill, etc.
But, MOST IMPORTANT, remember that you will be walking a LOT there. WE came home after eating a lot of food, pretty much indulging ourselves, and we found that we had each lost 5-10 pounds each...
So don't worry too much about it. If you are as active as most folks are there, you'll burn off plenty of calories. Heck, just hustling around to get those fastpasses is enough to keep you slim and trim:animwink: :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom