Dining Help for a Rookie!

Horizons '83

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Hello all! I am about a month away from my first trip to Uni Orlando and I am completely clueless as to where to eat. I am looking to do 2 nice dinners (non-counter service) that don't have to be in the parks, so we are pretty open to any of the hotels and CityWalk.

Also, we want to do a couple lunches in the parks that have a cool atmosphere and good food. As of now we are thinking Leaky Cauldron and Three Broomsticks.

Any guidance or advice from you seasoned pros would be VERY much appreciated!

TJ

JoeCamel

Many options at Citywalk, several do not take reservations so let your hunger at the time be your guide. The hotels all have very good resturants so again let what you want to eat be your guide. You should make reservations there 1 - 2 weeks out. In park do not miss Mythos for lunch, it is good food reasonably priced and great service with an atmosphere that cannot be beat. Leaky and three sticks have great theming but so-so food.

BubbaQuest

You are going to have a ton of restaurant options! If you are staying onsite, you might want to focus on a restaurant in that hotel for one night just to reduce the number of options :)

I know Toothsome Chocolate Emporium in CityWalk is on my next trip to-do list. Tchoup Chop at the Royal Pacific hotel is beautiful. I didn't think the food was anything special, but I would go back again just for the atmosphere.

I would definitely stick with the 2 Potter restaurants for lunch, just for the atmosphere. Mythos at IOA was highly recommended to me, but I was very disappointed. I wanted to check out Finnegans in Universal Studios, but we ran out of time. And the Simpsons food court is a bit of a disappointment because it's just a food court, but still worth checking out for a chuckle or two.

Hope this helps.

JoeCamel

You are going to have a ton of restaurant options! If you are staying onsite, you might want to focus on a restaurant in that hotel for one night just to reduce the number of options :)

I know Toothsome Chocolate Emporium in CityWalk is on my next trip to-do list. Tchoup Chop at the Royal Pacific hotel is beautiful. I didn't think the food was anything special, but I would go back again just for the atmosphere.

I would definitely stick with the 2 Potter restaurants for lunch, just for the atmosphere. Mythos at IOA was highly recommended to me, but I was very disappointed. I wanted to check out Finnegans in Universal Studios, but we ran out of time. And the Simpsons food court is a bit of a disappointment because it's just a food court, but still worth checking out for a chuckle or two.

Hope this helps.

Curious what dissapointed you at Mythos?

Horizons '83

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Awesome advice! Since we will most likely do the Leaky Cauldron the day prior I think we will give Mythos a shot once I can put my reservation in the system. Thanks again!!

JoeCamel

Awesome advice! Since we will most likely do the Leaky Cauldron the day prior I think we will give Mythos a shot once I can put my reservation in the system. Thanks again!!

Toothsome was mentioned in passing. If you can work an early dinner there I think you will find it an amazing experience. No reservations so you will have to put your name/number in and they will text when a table is ready. You can explore while you wait. If you like chocolate (who doesn't?) then it will be the highlight of your trip. Just bring your patience

Figgy1

Premium Member
Another vote for Mythos(sit down) and Thunder Falls terrace as a bit above typical QS also if anybody in your party is a Parrothead Margaritaville is a must do. We liked 3 Broomsticks a bit better than LC.

sporadic

Another for Mythos, was our favorite. Feast for four at Three Broomsticks has to be the best deal in the park for a family of four. We'll be doing both again on our next trip.

Horizons '83

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Mythos is the one and only place I'd worry about getting an ADR for
Looks like they only allow up to 30 days in advance. We will be at IOA on the 13th of February so I guess i'll have to wait a bit longer. I just checked and it says "closed" for the 10th of February. Is there a refrub that is happening that weekend or is that typical thing to see when making a reservation here?

On a side note, I love how I haven't had to freak out about making reservations at every single meal in every single park like I do for a Disney Trip. The planning has been quite easy, outside of me not being familiar with Universal Orlando.

JoeCamel

Looks like they only allow up to 30 days in advance. We will be at IOA on the 13th of February so I guess i'll have to wait a bit longer. I just checked and it says "closed" for the 10th of February. Is there a refrub that is happening that weekend or is that typical thing to see when making a reservation here?

On a side note, I love how I haven't had to freak out about making reservations at every single meal in every single park like I do for a Disney Trip. The planning has been quite easy, outside of me not being familiar with Universal Orlando.

I talked to the line TM and they don't know if there is a refurb or if the 10th is closed for an event. Have to wait and see closer to the date. Great thing about UOR is it really does not need planning and during that time of year I often walk up at 11 to set my reservation for later that day. Mythos closes early so plan on lunch not dinner there but I am sure if it is open you won't have a problem getting a table the day before. How many will be dining? If 4 or less ask for a table with a view in the main room, don't let them put you in the annex as the service can be spotty there.

Magic Feather

Regarding in park QS, Leaky is definetoy the way to go. The one thing IoA lacks, IMO is decent QS, but they have 3 Broomsticks, although it is very simikar to leaky, but less options. As far as TS goes, Mythos is gorgeous, but I find the food to be overrated. I oersonally reccommend Toothsome, and Cowfish. Cowfish dies reservation, but Toothsome does not. Make sure to get there early, you will get a text when your table is ready, so you can go enjoy the park while you wait. (But you only have 10 min to get there, unless you notify them.) Enjoy your trip!

ratherbeinwdw

We always do an adr for Mythos, but we've never needed it as we eat an early lunch and there has never been a wait for walk-ups.
We really enjoy Finnegan's. We try to do it every other visit. We've never needed an adr there either.
The food and atmosphere at Toothsome were really good. The wait to get in was minimal, but the wait to get the food was long. It's worth the wait, however. The atmosphere at both Potter restaurants is good, but the food wasn't good enough for us to go back. However, the one in Diagon Alley is a must for my son and his gf. We go elsewhere when they eat there.
We've done October, December, and May at Uni, and had no problem getting in to eat without ressies. However, we always try to eat early lunch and dinner. We were able to get into Toothsome with a 15 minute wait at 4:00 on a Saturday afternoon in December.
I recommend you make ressies, but don't worry if you can't get one. I've never had a problem getting a reservation at Uni.
I just thought of another place we like to eat. Hard Rock has really good food. You don't have to enter the parks to eat there. It's close to Toothsome. Their reservations only put you at the front of the line. Even without a reservation, we were seated within 15 minutes during the afternoon, and walked right in at 11:00 a.m.

Horizons '83

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I talked to the line TM and they don't know if there is a refurb or if the 10th is closed for an event. Have to wait and see closer to the date. Great thing about UOR is it really does not need planning and during that time of year I often walk up at 11 to set my reservation for later that day. Mythos closes early so plan on lunch not dinner there but I am sure if it is open you won't have a problem getting a table the day before. How many will be dining? If 4 or less ask for a table with a view in the main room, don't let them put you in the annex as the service can be spotty there.
Thanks! It will just be me and wife so just 2. I am not sure if that helps or hurts the wait times for restaurants.

JoeCamel

Thanks! It will just be me and wife so just 2. I am not sure if that helps or hurts the wait times for restaurants.

With two I would make it clear you want to be seated front and center. Letting them know it is a special day for you and your wife would not be telling a lie. Have a great time, I think you will be impressed.

BubbaQuest

I wouldn't stress the Mythos reservations, as others have said you shouldn't have a problem getting a reservation "day of", it just may not be your preferred time. 30 days out, you should have plenty of options!

Does anyone know if the Uni vacation packages get you preferred seating at Toothsome like the rest of CityWalk?

JoeCamel

I wouldn't stress the Mythos reservations, as others have said you shouldn't have a problem getting a reservation "day of", it just may not be your preferred time. 30 days out, you should have plenty of options!

Does anyone know if the Uni vacation packages get you preferred seating at Toothsome like the rest of CityWalk?

Staying onsite at a deluxe is supposed to get preferred seating but I don't see that happening often so I would not be counting on it at Toothsome. Better to plan an early meal or go to the bar if you don't want to wander til you get a text. On a brighter note I think UOR found the benches WDW ripped out. They have been popping up around Toothsome to give the guests a comfortable place to wait.

Horizons '83

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Thank you! I have also heard great things about Tchoup. I am going in with no expectations or comparisons as you mentioned. Those types of thoughts tend to put a damper on a trip. I am REALLY looking forward to this Universal trip!

Disneyhead'71

Just don't eat at Comic Book Cafe, Circus McGurkus in IOA. I would also avoid Monsters Cafe in USF. All are just average theme park fare. There are much better options around the resort.

QS of note:
IOA:
Burger Digs in JP-good theme park QS Burger
3 Broomsticks- Potter 'nuff said
Thunder Falls Terrace- BBQ Ribs and Rotisserie Chicken.
There is also a Kabab walk up window in Lost Continent that serves up some unique and tasty snacks.

USF:
Fast Food Blvd. in Springfield- Food Court with a wide variety of options with a Simpson's Theme. The place to get a Krusty Burger and a Duff beer.
Leaky Cauldron- More Potter.
Louis Pizza in NYC area- best in-park QS pizza in Orlando.

Table Service: Each park has 2 table service restaurants. All are good bordering on great. I love Fennigan's Irish Pub and Mythos. Confisco's has solid food, but the atmosphere is interesting but kind of bland. And Lombard's Landing is a seafood restaurant with a quasi-Jules Verne vibe inside.

CityWalk has too many great options to mention, but Toothsomes and Cowfish are unique enough to get a shout out.

Signature restaurants:
Emeril's Orlando in CityWalk, Emeril's Tchoup Chop (Pacific Rim/Polynesian) at Royal Pacific, Palm (High End Steak House) at Hard Rock Hotel, and BiCE (really high end Italian) at Portofino Bay are all fantastic restaurants. Easily on par with Disney's best (V&A's excepted).

There is soooo much great food at UOR there is no reason to eat a bad meal there.

(BiCE is the often overlooked gem of the resort. And my favorite restaurant at UOR. It has GREAT food, and the atmosphere is classy and romantic with great views of the harbor. Ask for a seat near a window if you go)
IMG_1243.jpg

http://www.bice-orlando.com/#about

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom