Dining @ Disney- would love advice!

collinsbrooke89

Original Poster
So we are planning our December 2015 trip to Disney! This is the 3rd year in a row we get to go but have never stayed on Disney property (last year was family reunion so we stayed in a big house, and the year before was our honeymoon and we stayed at the Wyndham in downtown disney) nor have we done Disney dining. We are going through a travel agent who has been super helpful and making all our reservations but when I ask her opinion on dining, she says "oh its great" to everything.Our ability to make reservations opened up last week so we some reservations already made but are open to changing them up.. Here is what we have so far:

Day 1 (arrival)- Dinner @ Whispering Canyon Cafe
Day 2 (MK)- Lunch reservation at Be Our Guest
Day 3 (Epcot)- Dinner reservation at San Angel Inn (I know i've read reviews its not the best, but I think that building is beautiful
Day 4 (no park)- Dinner at Ohana
Day 5 (HS)- Dinner at Sci-Fi Drive In
Day 6 (AK)- Park hop back to MK- Dinner reservation @ Be our guest.

Do we want to do be our guest for lunch and dinner?? Also, this leaves us one more table service credit... what do you guys most recommend and do you recommend nixing any of our existing reservations?

CAPTAIN HOOK

Day 3 (Epcot)- Dinner reservation at San Angel Inn (I know i've read reviews its not the best, but I think that building is beautiful
Welcome aboard.

If you're going to the trouble of booking a meal at a Disney Restaurant then surely you should be choosing one based upon the quality of the food, not what the building looks like ?
MacDonalds has some pretty amazing buildings - but I'd never choose it as a location to eat my evening meal

CheshireCat12

Welcome aboard.

If you're going to the trouble of booking a meal at a Disney Restaurant then surely you should be choosing one based upon the quality of the food, not what the building looks like ?
MacDonalds has some pretty amazing buildings - but I'd never choose it as a location to eat my evening meal
I'm sure some people really love San Angel. I myself have had it on my To-Do list for a while, mostly for the ambiance. I'm keeping an open mind about the food- things are rarely as bad as people say.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I'm sure some people really love San Angel. I myself have had it on my To-Do list for a while, mostly for the ambiance. I'm keeping an open mind about the food- things are rarely as bad as people say.
We had lunch at San Angel a couple weeks ago and were very pleased! The chips were warm and crisp and the salsas were yummy! We tried three different entrees and all were perfectly prepared, presented and delicious. Service was top notch too, which was surprising since our last couple visits we had less than stellar service.

And yes, @collinsbrooke89, the ambiance is amazing :).

collinsbrooke89

Original Poster
Welcome aboard.

I definitely get what you are saying but honestly, some of our dinner choices ARE based on atmosphere versus menus. We choose sci-fi even though its burgers, fries, and milkshakes because it just looks really neat and like a fun experience. And to be honest, I struggle with being a picky eater so simple menus are good! Do you have a different suggestion at Epcot? We ate at Coral Reef Cafe on our honeymoon and Biergarten last year so decided to not to that again but are open to other suggestions!

collinsbrooke89

Original Poster
Welcome aboard. I'd keep BOG for lunch and dinner as the menus and experiences are different. All else looks good just remember you're going to Sci-Fi for the experience not the food just like SA
Thanks! Yes, that is what i've heard.. I think my fear is if we do that quick service for lunch and add on a table service for dinner, we will be to "tied down" try to make it to multiple reservations in the same day.

collinsbrooke89

Original Poster
Any favourite characters you would like to have dinner with? Some amazing character dining out there which is a lot of fun :)
We thought about character dining. My favorite of all time is Beauty and the Beast, and I think I read beast is at BOG. Our ORIGINAL plan was to just do dinner at BOG the first night in MK, and then the day we go to AK- have dinnner at Chef Mickeys and walk back into MK but we were unable to score an ADR for that night. We thought about Chef Mickeys (again for experience) but I think I just feel more comfortable staying inside the park. I want to enjoy our dining credits but I also dont want to spend the whole day worrying about getting to our reservations.

So from everyone it seems like some good choices... If anyone has any other suggestions for Epcot, i would love to hear. We LOVE japanese food but ive heard the steakhouse is no different than one you go to outside disney and once a month we go to a japanese steakhouse.

Also, with things how they are, we have 1 extra TS credit... Any suggestions? We could do a breakfast our departure day but to be honest, breakfast food isn't my favorite. So we are either going to be doing 2 table service credits in one day or I need to find somewhere to dine our day at MK since we just have lunch at BOG.

lostpro9het

So we are planning our December 2015 trip to Disney! This is the 3rd year in a row we get to go but have never stayed on Disney property (last year was family reunion so we stayed in a big house, and the year before was our honeymoon and we stayed at the Wyndham in downtown disney) nor have we done Disney dining. We are going through a travel agent who has been super helpful and making all our reservations but when I ask her opinion on dining, she says "oh its great" to everything.Our ability to make reservations opened up last week so we some reservations already made but are open to changing them up.. Here is what we have so far:

Day 1 (arrival)- Dinner @ Whispering Canyon Cafe
Day 2 (MK)- Lunch reservation at Be Our Guest
Day 4 (no park)- Dinner at Ohana
Day 5 (HS)- Dinner at Sci-Fi Drive In
Day 6 (AK)- Park hop back to MK- Dinner reservation @ Be our guest.

Do we want to do be our guest for lunch and dinner?? Also, this leaves us one more table service credit... what do you guys most recommend and do you recommend nixing any of our existing reservations?
Looks pretty good. IMO, drop the BOG lunch. While lunch is a different menu I think the experience might ruin what you will expect for dinner. Just my opinion though. Here is our lineup for December:
Day 1 Paradiso 37(D)
Day 2 The Wave(D)
Day 3 Via Napoli(D)
Day 4 Rainforest Cafe(D)
Day 5 'Ohana(B) Teppan Edo(D)
Day 6 Beaches and Cream(L) Rose and Crown(D)
Day 7 San Angel Inn(D)

This will be our first time trying San Angel too. We've had it planned on previous trips but always canceled. We're serious about it this time ;). I'd also recommend Yachtsman, Sanaa, Jiko, and Citricos.

belledream

We enjoy San Angel Inn. The atmosphere is beautiful, peaceful, and has good smells. :) The food has always been good for us too.

As for Japanese food, Teppan Edo isn't your only option! Tokyo Dining (which is lesser known of the two but is in the same building) is slightly more authentic and has a great view of Showcase Lagoon. We love eating there. Highly recommend if you like Japanese!

Keep both BOG. Both menus have good offerings and you can't find a better QS value in MK!

catmom46

Since you still have plenty of time to keep checking, I'd say stick to your original plan of BOG your first night and Chef Mickey your last. Or if you want to stay in MK, then maybe Crystal Palace?

RiceCrispyMickey

Also, with things how they are, we have 1 extra TS credit... Any suggestions? We could do a breakfast our departure day but to be honest, breakfast food isn't my favorite. So we are either going to be doing 2 table service credits in one day or I need to find somewhere to dine our day at MK since we just have lunch at BOG.

If you are open to switching something and want a fancier meal one night you could always book a signature. It would be two TS credits, however most of them are outside the parks. Le Cellier which is in EPCOT is signature and very nice. Also a short walk from EPCOT (at the Boardwalk and YC is Flying fish Cafe and Yachtsman Steakhouse which are also both signature.

collinsbrooke89

Original Poster
Good to hear Crystal Palace might be a good option. We also looked at Liberty Tree Tavern but with its renovation, no reservations can be made now.

I will look at the rose & crown menu.. my TA did say it had an excellent view of the fireworks so that might be an option.

DisneyJunkie

I agree with most of your choices, having had (or always do) good meals at those locations. EXCEPT.......the Sci-Fi Diner. Despite it's rather cool theming, the food isn't anything to write home about and the film loop repeats so much during the meal that it gets old quick. If you've never been there before, I can mildly recommend you try it once...but you likely will see that it's not a "must do" kind of restaurant.

DisneyJunkie

I tolerate San Angel for its meals, but it did (and may not anymore) have the best dessert of any restaurant on property the last time I ate there. It has a cool atmosphere and theming, but you may not end up wild about the meals themselves.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom